UCSB vs UMiami

<p>So far I've gotten into UMiami and I'm growing really fond of it. Before the acceptance, my eyes were set on UCSB but after looking into Miami, I'm torn at this point. Money is not an issue at either school. I'm from Georgia and I'm looking for something completely new which may be easier to find in California but Miami is supposed to be its own world when it comes to diversity and such. Also, if I go to Miami I'll be in RASMAS majoring in Marine Science/Microbiology and if I go to UCSB, it'll be Microbiology with a concentration in genetic engineering and I might pick up a double major in Aquatic Biology(depending on workload/gpa). My undergrad is mostly for interest and qualifying for the Patent Bar Exam because I'd like to go to Law school and work as a biotech patent lawyer. However, I'm really interested in the above subjects so I will definitely be looking for research opportunities!</p>

<p>I love both campuses, I'm really social but I know how to buckle down for academics. I will definitely be getting into intramural or club soccer at either place.</p>

<p>One huge draw for UCSB I keep hearing is the CLAS tutoring system and how helpful it really is in comparison to other schools' tutoring systems. Whereas for Miami the ACC spirit is really desirable </p>

<p>I don't know what else to weigh about their generalities so I was hoping I could get specifics for each school to help me decide. Like social atmosphere and such. I like partying but is there more to do than just party at either school? Which attracts more renowned speakers? Music scene? etc. stuff like that</p>

<p>Thanks!
PS: this is all assuming I manage to be accepted into UCSB haha</p>

<p>I’ve looked a lot in to UM and have visited and my brother went to UCSB and I’ve visited several times so I have a pretty good idea of both schools. Both are great academically and probably fairly comparable. Marine Science at UM is among the best Marine Science programs in the nation. UCSB is also great in your desired majors for that school. </p>

<p>UM and Miami in general are dramatically different than the rest of florida or the southeast in general, so it will be a change if your not from there. </p>

<p>Both UM and UCSB have pretty vibrant students who exemplify a “work hard, play hard” lifestyle. The students love partying but they know how to buckle and down and work hard too.</p>

<p>Weather can’t be beat at either school. Sunny weather year 'round, although during January in Santa Barbara you may have to hang up the board shorts and tank top attire and wear a full fitting t-shirt or a light sweatshirt. Devastating, I know. </p>

<p>These schools are similar in a lot of aspects, but the main difference is the surroundings. UCSB is in Santa Barbara which is somewhat isolated. Santa Barbara is much smaller than San Fran, LA or San Diego. Some students love that about it though. UMiami is in Coral Gables, a short distance out of downtown Miami- a huge metropolis with an endless amount of possibilities. </p>

<p>I think you have to decide if you want to be in the close viscidity of a big city or not. If you do, I’d go with UM. If your comfortable with the laid back, and smaller feel of Santa Barbara, then UCSB might be for you.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Isn’t Santa Barbara only like a 30 minute bus ride from LA though?</p>

<p>No its a good 100 miles, which equates to a 2 hour drive by car.</p>

<p>Oh, hm I guess at this point I should just wait for ucsb’s response and then visit both</p>

<p>UCSB is public, UMiami is private. The benefits of getting an education at a private institution such as UMiami are pretty remarkable, and I’m sure you’re aware of many of them already. Small class sizes, access to professors, access to research opportunities, internships, and working with professors are just a few. The school has money, is always growing and expanding, putting the funds to good use (e.g. the new Student Activities Center, a $23 million project, opening this Fall). Public institutions can be great, but private institutions have a lot of perks.</p>

<p>And don’t forget UM’s unparalleled diversity.</p>

<p>I would definitely choose University of Miami. One of my friends goes to UCSB and she says she hates it. Another girl who went to my high school goes to University of Miami and she seems to love it there. I got into UC Berkeley, University of Miami, and UCSB (Last Year), and if I didn’t get into UC Berkeley, I would have picked University of Miami over UCSB.</p>

<p>What does your friend hate about UCSB?</p>

<p>I’d like to know the answer to that too because I’ve heard only fantastic things from UCSB haha</p>

<p>You could find negative stories from UMiami or UCSB, but they aren’t the majority. Both Umiami and UCSB are regarded as universities where students are generally happy with their undergraduate experience. </p>

<p>Your main differences are private vs public and Coral Gables/Miami vs Santa Barbara.
UM has more people from NY and Jersey, UCSB more from California. The “typical” student at both UM and UCSB is the same- Preppy, lively, outgoing, attractive, and bright. Though I think Umiami would probably offer a larger variety of students and more students that defy the typical than UCSB might. </p>

<p>Academics are very comparable and social scene is somewhat comparable too. </p>

<p>Both schools have a vibrant and evident party scene, but these days UCSB is probably more of a party school than UM. Though, neither of these two schools are genuine party schools, because academics are pretty demanding at both. UCSB partying is frats and house parties, UM partying is more bars and clubs, with some house parties too. </p>

<p>Socially at UCSB your pretty enclosed and limited to university related events. Socially at UM you have school events but also a lot going on in Miami, should you need a break from the college scene. </p>

<p>Also UCSB is quarter system whereas UM is semester. Also UCSB has no football team, UM does. All things to think about…</p>

<p>Personally I’d go with UM but they are similar in a lot of respects and it mostly boils down to preference - there’s not a clear, undisputed frontrunner.</p>

<p>Alright, thanks I guess I’ll just have to decide after I visit then</p>