UCSD Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

Is today the deadline for the first wave of waitlist admits?

1 Like

Yep!

1 Like

I feel so bad for the kids being strung along like this

14 Likes

Do you think they will stop with this wave? Or will more waves be released?

1 Like

Anyone get off the waitlist today?

Nope. I donā€™t think anything has been released yet.

1 Like

There is probably going to be a low percentage taken off the waitlist. Too many applicants this year. Even though they hinted on accepting less to help the yieldā€¦the chances of getting in off the waitlist is much less than the kids original chance. My dd is on the waitlist for 5 (UCSD, UCSB, UCSC, Cal Poly SLO, and SDSU) Committed to University of Washington.

Even if it is a low percentage, it should not deter kids from being hopeful. You never know, one of us might be one of the lucky ones to get off of it considering the amount of applications. Itā€™s best to play the waiting game and not automatically assume the worst possible outcome.

12 Likes

Itā€™s shocking how hard it is to get into a UC.

7 Likes

Youā€™ll be more shocking how easy it is to get into UCs as a transferz

1 Like

That has been true in past years but with the number of students rejected from their UC of choice this year, I wonder if a lot of these high caliber students will opt to go the CC route. If that is the case, competition in 2 years to transfer to the top UCs might be very tough as well?

4 Likes

it would be nice to see the state pump the huge budget surplus into increasing capacity of the mid ranked UCs (SB, I, SD, D), and increasing the reputation of the lower ranked UCs (SC, R, M) as well as some of the Cal State schools. A large percentage of students at UW, CU Boulder, and ASU are from California. The state is loosing a lot of students that donā€™t get into their choice in-state school to other states. It would be good to see a proposed plan to address this.

7 Likes

Newsom is doing just that. heā€™s requesting that the UCs expand the number of In-state students by 6000

1 Like

Are those freshman seats? How would they manage housing? I wonder how would they distribute the 6000 seats across the UCs.

UC is being asked to increase seats for California students by 6,230 for fall 2022 but is negotiating that number with Newsomā€™s office. The system has agreed to add about 2,000 more students each year from 2023-24 through 2026-27, with 15% of the growth at UCLA, UC Berkeley and UC San Diego, the most applied-to campuses in the system. Those three will also reduce their out-of-state and international student amount by 900 each year and replace them with Californians over the next five years.

This is according to the article.

2 Likes

YES. My son was wait listed or rejected in CA for Aerospace Engineering (4.4 GPA, 1500 SAT, good extra-curriculars) so he enrolled at ASU in Arizona. Based on GPA, they give automatic $15,500 scholarship, inline with cost of a UC. But he really wants to stay in CA so heā€™s enduring the wait list torture.

1 Like

Housing is a big issue at some of the UCs. Davis just built a lot of new student apartments. Itā€™s probably 1000 units. Irvine opened new dorms 2 years ago. But SC has such a housing issue despite having a lot of empty land. SD also needs more housing. The others iā€™m not familiar with the situation.

For what itā€™s worth my son was exactly in your sonā€™s shoes 3 years ago - shut out of all 8 CA schools he applied to (4.6 gpa, 33 ACT strong ECā€™s) so he had to go out of state (CUBoulder or ASU). He reluctantly chose ASU/Barrett and just graduated last week Summa Cum Laude & Moeur Award (above a 4.0) in 3 yrs. Has 3 solid job offers (software engineering) and is interviewing at Google, Amazon & Mckesson this weekā€¦ ASU is a great school with endless opportunities for bright kids :slight_smile: But trust me I feel your pain lolā€¦ my daughter is an even stronger candidate this year but was watilisted at 5 schools including UCSD which was her dream school. She SIRā€™d to UCDavis and seems to be quite happy despite not getting in to her top 4 CA schools. Itā€™s definitely a roller coaster I am glad to be getting off of as she is my last kid!

10 Likes

I really donā€™t want to get my hopes up. :confused:

i got an email a few minutes ago, has anyone opened it?

1 Like