UIUC Class of 2026 Discussion

My son is a Junior at UIUC majoring in CS+Stats. Priority is given to students with more credit hours at UIUC. So the seniors and juniors who have more credit hours sign up first. If you pick a CS+X, major you are guaranteed to get in the required CS classes for your grade. Here is the link for 2022 Fall registration: Fall 2022 Registration Times – Office of the Registrar

2 Likes

I would highly recommend when you choose a day to register for classes in the summer to pick a date as early as possible since more classes will be available.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

For an incoming freshman, that would be the “New Student Registration” day, right? It seems one of the potential issue of choosing it early in the Summer is not having the AP scores yet. So they won’t know if they need to take e.g. the physics courses or skip them if getting 5 in AP Phys Cs. Am I thinking it correctly?

All registering is in June - early July. AP scores don’t come out until mid July. So whether you pick June 6 or July 6, you won’t have AP scores. The advisors have built this variable into the process. I went to Illini day, and the advisor explained the process well. She said before students come to registration they will complete a form explaining their situation, like pending AP results/projected dual credit. They will also take placement tests that will assist in scheduling. They also usually put Physics in second semester for this very reason. As for math, the placement test will be a good guide. For us, math is a dual credit, whereas Physics is AP. So we won’t have to wait for AP results on math. Even still, the final transcript might not be ready when we register on June 6. She said to complete the form and just bring unofficial stuff, and they can make the schedule from that. They will review the official transcript once it’s available. She said there was no reason to delay registration for any of these things. They are used to handling all of these scenarios.

3 Likes

I am curious if the registration day scope is just the Fall semester, or does it plan for the entire freshman year?

The Fall 2022 registration only pertains to classes in the fall. Spring registration will be in the fall. Here is the link to last year’s spring 2022 registration so you will get an idea of the timeframe: Spring 2022 Registration Times – Office of the Registrar

1 Like

Great info. We were also told by an advisor at Illini Day that summer registration would be solely focused on fall. Then during fall semester, when you register for spring, you will also make a tentative four year plan.

1 Like

That is correct. My son is in CS Class of 2024 (so a sophomore now) and in December of freshman year he worked with the counselor to map out the remaining 3.5 years including both gen ed requirements and upper level CS classes. Also accounted for options like study abroad junior year spring and possible 5 yr BS/MS option. Looking back 15 months later it seems my son basically has stuck to the plan. I think he accelerated one class and also switched a couple around to accommodate his math minor.

It was nice as a parent just to know he had a plan. He is the “don’t worry mom and dad I got it” type without providing a lot of detail around that.

1 Like

Thanks. How many courses do they typically take per semester at the beginning? Is there a number of GE versus major courses you take every semester at the freshman/sophomore year? Once you hit junior/senior year, how many major course do you take per semester?

Every major has one of these. Just look on the website of the specific program. Link is to the one for mechanical engineering

2 Likes

Applied for CE 1st choice
Undeclared Engineering 2nd choice

got in for DGS instead

I called and they told me I am waitlisted for both my first and second choice majors, is it a good idea to wait?

If UIUC is a top choice for you, yes, wait. There is going to be a lot of movement on the waitlists. Many kids accepted to several schools but can only attend one. Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

Too bad the university didn’t take the same care across the campus as the Grainger section. Again sorry for the candor.

What banking arrangement works well for UIUC? It looks like PNC Bank has an on-campus branch and supports Zelle for quick cash transfer etc.

If you get the chance to explore campus south of Green Street, check out BIF (the business instructional facility) and the Siebel Center for Design, as well as the Japan House. There’s more to campus than engineering. :wink:

2 Likes

For sure I’ve explored the campus. Thanks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

yes PNC is the one to go with unless you have an ATM card that does not charge for using ATM out of the network… the flagships wells fargo BoA are not there in that part of the country.

2 Likes

A question on resident hall choices: it looks like the housing agreement presents you with 8 choices. I did some research and figured out which residence halls are grouped under each of the 8 choices. Here they are:

1. Allen Hall
    ALLEN
  2. Busey/Evans
    EVANS
    BUSEY
  3. Florida Ave Residence Halls (FAR)
    OGLESBY
    TRELEASE
  4. Ikenberry Common North
    LUNDGREN
    BARTON
    WESTON
    HOPKINS
    WASSAJA
    NUGENT
  5. Ikenberry Common South
    BOUSFIELD
    SCOTT
    SNYDER
    VAN DOREN
    TAFT
  6. Illinois Street Residence Halls (ISR)
    WARDALL
    TOWNSEND
  7. Lincoln Ave Residence Halls (LAR)
    LEONARD
    SHELDEN
  8. Pennsylvania Ave (PAR)
    CARR
    BLAISDELL
    BABCOCK
    SAUNDERS

For an engineering student, I suspect ISR would be the first choice. Based on your student’s experience, what would be your order of preference?

1 Like

Don’t forget about Private Certified Housing like Bromley and Newman. There are some really good options there to to the extent still available.