UIUC vs. UW-Madison

<p>This past weekend, I visited UW-Madison (for the 2nd time) as well as UIUC, for the first time.
I was extremely impressed with both schools, and they are officially the top two on my list. (I'm only a junior.)
However, I was NOT impressed with UIUC's out of state tuition. </p>

<p>I'm sort of favoring UIUC because it's unique to my community, has aviation (a POSSIBLE field for me), has a slightly nicer campus IMHO, and seems a little easier for me to get into.
However, Madison is much more affordable (MN resident) and closer to home.</p>

<p>Since I'm sort of undecided major-wise (Biochemistry, Aviation, Secondary Education, Meteorology, Law Enforcement, Business), I'm not sure which one would be the better choice.</p>

<p>So yeah.. which one would you advise? (And which one is more likely to look at (and believe) extenuating circumstances in the admissions process?)</p>

<p>Where are that lake and hills at UI again? There is no comparison between the two IMHO. UW hands down.</p>

<p>Don't choose a school just because noone else will be there. UW is large enough to not associate with anyone from home. Check the percentage of students from IL at their flagship, compare it to UW's MN plus WI numbers. I found the flat prairie campus of UIUC boring- no hills or water. Also check to see if it is at all as liberal as UW. Do not let the ease of getting in determine whether or not you apply- give UW a chance to accept you. You can apply to UW, MN and UIUC and make your final decision by May 1st of senior year. Every campus has its own culture, senior year you can see which seems to be the best fit.</p>