UM vs FSU vs UCF

<p>Let me start off by saying that I'm an international student whose parents have very low income. I want to major in Biology and eventually do something in medicine. </p>

<p>I'm relying on financial aid and loans. I think UM is a great school, but the financial advisor I visited today was pretty rude and pessimistic and totally killed my enthusiasm. My parents want me to go to the out-of-state schools that are offering me tons of scholarship money. But I don't know which to decide. </p>

<p>Going to UM, a prestigious school, will help me land a better job, no?</p>

<p>Go to Free Shoo U, Still a very good education, great sports and campus, and if your worried about the job after do well in school and get into grad school spend more money there, transfers somewhere Souther Cal. Miami 40 thous plus vs FSU 20 for out of state.</p>

<p>I’ve attended Miami and currently attend UCF. The quality of education at UCF is no different than UM. It might even be better in many programs. You get out of each college what you put into it.</p>

<p>If you are concerned about money, opt for the more affordable alternative. The Florida State College system is accredited by the same board as UM. Plenty of people at UCF go onto become doctors. Plenty of people at UM go on to become doctors. Either place will get you there as long as you work hard enough to get into med school.</p>

<p>I’ve heard great things about UCF (campus architecture, dorms, resources, etc), but I’m worried about the staff to student ratio. The classes are huge whereas FSU has been there for a long time with smaller classes. </p>

<p>Great campus, large class size vs. FSU. What’s your opinion on that? I’m majoring in Bio.</p>

<p>Lower level classes at UCF can have some very large classes. I took Biology I for Science majors and the large auditorium was packed for the lecture (probably 400 students). However, the lab sections were much smaller (maxed at 30 or so students).</p>

<p>Upper division classes are a little different, but of course size depends on your major. Biology (or specifically Molecular & Micro Biology, aka “M&M”) is a popular major at UCF, so the upper division classes might be a little larger. Most of my upper division classes (for my major, Statistics) hover between 15 and 35 students.</p>

<p>However, every professor I’ve had here at UCF has been very willing to help during office hours if ever needed. Very down to earth professors.</p>

<p>When I was at Miami I had quite a few classes that were also “large auditorium” settings. I can’t remember exact numbers, but I’m sure there were many in there that were 150+ students. I remember psychology and a few other classes being taught in that format. I did also have quite a few “small” classes at UM. Probably less than 15 in a bunch of classes. It really varies by class and major. If it’s an obscure class in an unpopular major, you can expect a very small class.</p>

<p>In general, I wouldn’t place too much emphasis on class size. It really matters little in the general scheme of things, imo. There’s always an ability to get one on one time with a professor if you seek them out, at either school.</p>

<p>Also, I wouldn’t place too much emphasis on how a campus looks. I went to Miami, which has a beautiful campus…but that didn’t help my grades!</p>

<p>UCF has a very large, nice campus. Because it’s so large there are more amenities located on campus. More restaurants, shops, etc. Miami’s shops (only 1 when I was there) and restaurants (aka, Food Court) are quite small. The Domino’s deliver guy gets quite the workout at UM because there are limited on-campus options.</p>

<p>I wish I could chime in about FSU, but I’ve never attended there!</p>