UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Some schools, like Architecture, STAMPS or Nursing may release EA decisions earlier, as I noted above. But LSA, Ross, Kinesiology and CoE release EA at the same time, both in-state and OOS. And not alphabetical.

1 Like

My daughter applied to Stamps School of Art and Design EA. She attended the summer program this past summer. We are in-state. When will Stamps release decisions (website says Jan, but are they released earlier)? When did Stamps release EA decisions last year? Thanks.

STAMPS released the same day as LSA, CoE, etc. last year.

Unfortunately, not in time for the Class of 2027, but another Central Campus residence hall will be built.

My son chose to submit his SAT score even though it’s below average for Michigan. 1430. He studied hard for that score. I just don’t understand how submitting a score can hurt you over not submitting at all. Isn’t it obvious that you didn’t submit because the score was low? Why not give credit for putting it out there? Wondering if he made a bad choice. We’ll always wonder, I guess.

2 Likes

Who has an advantage applying to STAMPS? In state? Being accepted to a summer program on campus at STAMPS and attending? Applying EA? Trying to gage her shot at being admitted. Also, how many applicants last year at STAMPS and how many accepted?

As of the Fall of 2021, the enitre STAMP’s program had about 686 students, with current freshman classes somewhere in the 175 +/- student range. Unfortunately we don’t know how many applicants apply EA or RD, how many applicants are accepted and what the STAMP’s yield is.

As for in-state versus OOS, overall, not just for STAMPS, in-state applicants have an advantage since their acceptance rate over OOS is 2x+.

1 Like

If you don’t submit a score, AOs theoretically don’t assume anything about it. If the college uses a rubric, that element simply isn’t factored in. So if in a first round of review, applicant are ranked 1-5 on a variety of metrics, they make the next round if the average score is above a certain threshold. The test score won’t be part of that calculation for a test optional student.

Of course, some AOs may assume, but in an early rubric or ranking, it really doesn’t matter what they assume.

Some schools probably encourage AOs to assume more than others do, but the premise of test optional is that scores don’t factor in at all for a test optional student. Michigan AOs might assume more than, say, a Bowdoin AO, but Michigan likely has a more structured review where assumptions matter far less.

I am not saying your son made the right or wrong decision, but no scores can be a better decision than scores for some applicants.

1 Like

1,460 is roughly the median SAT for the entire 2021-2022 class. A 1,430 is only a tad below that. But OOS scores will skew higher than in-state scores and I don’t believe you mentioned that and then there are the essays, which school he applied to, LOR’s, uwGPA, etc.

Without knowing all the details of an application, it’s difficult to say whether submitting a 1,430 is a bad choice or not.

3 Likes

Thanks for reply. I know there’s so many factors. I just worry about it lessoning his chances. Son is OOS. Applied to LSA with Ross preferred. HS does not report unweighted, so all we know is 4.239 weighted. We think essays are strong. Without getting into too much detail, he has ECs I’ve seen many others have, track, volunteer hours, works…
It’s so hard making these decisions. Can it even be changed if already submitted EA?

Yes.

2 Likes

There’s a HS senior who works out in the same gym (CA) as me and he told me that he applied to LSA with Ross preferred.

I know nothing about his application, but when I heard that he applied to Ross, I told him straight up that the Ross BBA acceptance rate is 10%. So while not “mission impossible,” a Ross acceptance is definitely going to be “mission difficult.”

4 Likes

We went through exactly what you are going through. Submit or not? My OOS daughter had a similar SAT score. We did as much research as possible before making a decision, including polling the audience here on CC as you have but the biggest push we had for submitting came from Michigan itself. While several comparable universities stated in their Commmon Data Set reports that scores were “Considered if Submitted” (like for example, Notre Dame), Michigan instead checked they “reccomend” scores be submitted. With that said, my daughter decided last minute not to submit. I was pro-submit and depending on the day, we have regret or relief with the decision. It’s a tough one and, like us, I think you would still be questioning it if you hadn’t submited it so keep that in mind! I hope this helps. Here’s the link to the report: https://obp.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/pubdata/cds/cds_2020-2021_umaa.pdf

1 Like

Keep the score. Nothing wrong with it. It converts cleanly to a 32 Act on concordance.

Your son won’t be accepted or denied because of it. A strong essay counts also as well as teacher recommendations.

I would not pull the score.

3 Likes

Talent. Extremely good talent wins above everything you mentioned. It is advised to apply Early for most programs /schools. If someone did a program over the summer that could help. My daughter did one at Emerson and she got in (didn’t end up going) would she of if she didn’t do the 5 week program?? Who knows. She had the talent. 50% of acceptance is on the portfolio. Have a good one. I am sure you saw this link. It’s competitive.

4 Likes

Thank you.

That’s exactly it…we understand that his chances are so low and his test scores would not be the sole reason he didn’t get in. So many factors that have to add up. We are hoping for a miracle.

I feel the score and GPA complement each other. Maybe shows consistency. Today I’ll say he keeps it reported. Thanks, all.

3 Likes

Without knowing a lot more about him don’t assume his chances are low. If he has the rigor and grades A=4, B=3 etc on core subject he will be fine. You have to understand that Michigan AND Ross are definitely tough to get into whether in or out of state. Flip of a coin for most kids. If kids get into Michigan with similar at his school, and a decent amount of them accepted actually go to Michigan… That helps also.

1 Like

Not many Michigan acceptances at his HS, unfortunately. Thanks for your input and information.

4 Likes