UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

That could be more problematic then anything he sends in. Every kid gets a fair look. Just know that. But with the amount of students applying its just about luck for most students getting accepted. Michigan is a reach for most.

Good Luck.

1 Like

My daughter was accepted with a score on the lower end of the average (OOS). Obviously there were others with higher scores that were rejected. We weighed submitting or not submitting (it was the first year of test optional) and decided to submit. It worked out and she is in her 2nd year at Michigan (and absolutely loves it). Now, anxiously waiting to see if my son will also get in. His test scores are higher, but you never know what is the deciding factor.

2 Likes

Students are compared to their school not others on the internet. That is one factor of why someone might get in with higher or lower scores. When coming from the same school they really look at the apps and try to prejudge who will be a good fit. It’s also what the “school” needs for that year. This could change yearly. Glad your daughter is loving her experience. My son graduated 1.5 years ago and also loved it. He was just sent a book out of the blue from one of his minors there. Just to support him. Pretty cool.

3 Likes

Our school historically has not had many go to Michigan (we are in Missouri), so it is hard to say (and the school’s Naviance record is not accurate as it shows no one being accepted from my daughter’s year). We do know that there has been 1 student from their high school accept and go there from each of the last 3 years.

3 Likes

Well good luck!!

1 Like

In doing research after the fact, the acceptance rate as transfer in during your second year etc is much higher than applying as a freshman.

Would you be referring to the Fall 2021 data posted on the UMich BBA Admitted Transfer page on the website? Roughly double, but we don’t know the 2022 data:

482 Applicants
101 Admitted
3.79 Average U-M GPA
51% In-State
51% Women
7% International

Also, a 3.79 ish GPA isn’t easy to achieve at UMich. I believe that’s about top 25% +/- of the class, though that’s just freshman grades.

3 Likes

I think UM heavily weighs / factors in yield when they consider OOS students and is more likely to accept OOS students who they believe will actually attend. When I look at my district’s naviance data, the acceptance rate to UMich is quite low compared to acceptances to other top schools (such as Ivies ad other T25 schools), yet the number of matriculations compared to acceptances is incredibly high.

1 Like

From our area, it’s the top students (who end up at Stanford, Ivies, Northwestern, UCLA, or MIT) who UM accepts EA. Rest are deferred. Michigan doesn’t seem to be concerned about yield during EA (or, really ever—who doesn’t want to go there?) Ultimately, other kids are accepted after deferral.

1 Like

So you raise an interesting point. In our district in Illinois, Chicago, after looking last year at our selective enrollment schools (just like applying to college but for high school. Applying to college was a breeze after this… Lol), there are definite patterns and I assume a school like Michigan can predict how many student will end up at Michigan. With 80 applying and 45 acceptances every year 12-14 marticulate to Michigan without fail. X that with 5 other schools in the system. One school 99%/100%go every year but that’s our of 12 students.

So every state, region etc has multiple of these schools for Michigan and of course for other schools as well. Each of these kids had multiple acceptances elsewhere.

So all schools have some sort of predictors per se. These students /schools are tracked somehow also. Why wouldn’t Michigan want more students from my son’s school that was ranked #1 in the state when he went? But this is also true for schools ranked #255 but their students performed well at Michigan.

I always wonder about how does a school break in? Does the AO have to be aggressive and really push their students? Do those students have to perform well at Michigan to allow other students to go there?

I mean if Michigan just took students only from their feeder schools (my son’s is not considered a feeder school) they could easily have several first year freshman classes.

It’s a wonder anyone gets in… Lol.

1 Like

Super interesting, because in our district the kids who end up at Penn (usually 25-20 /year) or other Ivies / Stanford / etc tend to be deferred EA and often later waitlisted at UMich. My student’s year, only 5 out of about 60 students were accepted, and 4 attended. They certainly have yield from our district figured out.

4 Likes

That’s a hot take! :grinning: Oh ya, UMich is concerned about yield, just like the other top universities.

In-state Yield:
2011 68%
2021 75%

OOS Yield:
2011 24%
2021 33%

1 Like

I know they care about yield; of course. :slight_smile: From here, the appearance is that they can afford to take kids in EA who will raise their average SAT (but won’t actually attend) because they will actually have so many qualified students deferred or RD who want to attend with Michigan as their first choice.

1 Like

So, having been on this forum for a long time, I can safely say that the complaint that is most often “voiced” here about the admissions process EA or RD, besides the waiting for RD releases, is that UMich hyper-yield protects.

One thing that I’ve seen over the years is high stat EA applicants are deferred AND accepted. I remember in last year’s Fall of 2022 thread, CC had several high stat deferred EA applicants get accepted into both Ivy’s and Michigan. One actually chose Michigan over Wharton.

But CC is a limited sample of the universe of Michigan applicants, but that’s what I’ve seen here for many years.

2 Likes

Seems like a good time to post this link.

4 Likes

This chart what I used for my post above but out of memory Lol. It’s interesting since whether it’s ritzy private school vs public school the ratio of acceptances and those marticulating is about the same with just a quick glance with the school in Illinois /Chicago proper.

To add to the above I know many students extremely high stats going to Michigan and turned down Georgetown etc etc. They are taking students scores across the spectrum. No school wants the same make up of students. I think they actually do a good job of spreading out the love. Saying this, my son told me when in engineering at Michigan that most of the kids he was friends with randomly, went to top schools in their states and they were some of the top kids there. Not everyone was like that but enough for him to make the comment.

1 Like

Oh sorry, I try to ignore all your posts. :rofl: (I kid)

1 Like

Are you sure your in the right forum? :joy:

1 Like

Many students in CA are no longer taking SAT/ACT since then CA schools won’t look at them (test blind). So there is a reason a “high stat” kid might not have a testing stat at all other than it being low. My CA twins23 both took the ACT but it going to start becoming more rare I think (in CA).

2 Likes