UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

While not definite a general trend it seems was this last year:

If 15% of all applicants didn’t submit scores, then a school filled 15% of their class from that pool specifically.

So, if this holds true, to answer your question, judge how strong your app looks compared to others you might estimate who do not submit scores.

For example, if you have 5’s on some APs and a strong GPA and rigorous course load, then maybe your counselor is on to something. But I would have hoped he/she gave some reasoning.

1460 is a very good score but it’s perhaps closer to average for out of state at Michigan. Definitely above average for in state.

At the end, you need to feel good about your decision.

3 Likes

I would submit. D22 had a similar score and was admitted. She was OOS.

thanks - he plans to submit!

1 Like

My D wants to but isn’t that part of “after acceptance” merit aid application process? They didn’t even offer it last year. Do you now if they are going to this year?

1 Like

D applied EA yesterday. She squealed.

OOS, applying to LS&A
GPA 4.0/4.65
IB Diploma Candidate
ACT 35

UMich is her #1 choice. Good luck everyone.

7 Likes

Sorry I’m referring the the art school at Michigan its called Stamps

1 Like

S submitted his EA application over the weekend.

OOS, CoE
GPA 4.0uw/4.8w
1510 SAT
Lots of leadership, community service, and research

S would prefer a medium-sized university, but is excited by the engineering facilities and offerings at UMich. It’s not his top choice, but it is pricey for us so he applied early for Stamps and full consideration for any other merit aid. Good luck to all and Go Blue!

3 Likes

Merit aid for OOS is almost non existence. Stamps is a crapshoot but somebody has to get it… Lol.

Engineering is fantastic with lots of opportunities with great labs and professors. That in itself makes the large school very small. My son graduated last year. Good Luck.

2 Likes

OOS 34 ACT
3.6 GPA from one of the top boarding schools in country where grades are stiff and he chose to have a life.
Enviroment (PitE)
Lots of ECs and independent research
Started largest club on high school campus
Counselor told him Michigan would be harder to crack than Duke!
We are all rooting for Michigan. Go BLUE

1 Like

Yeah, we figured as much regarding merit aid for OOS. UMich loves our high school, but is stingy with aid. That’s to be expected for OOS. Still had to try and applying early wasn’t too much extra work.

Anyway, it might be a wasted app fee if the kid gets into his ED school in mid-December. :crossed_fingers:

A small amount of Class of 2026 info was published. Not much, but I think it’s all we got until the admission’s profile page is updated and the new CDS comes out.

Best freshman dorm? West Quad wins! Both @Knowsstuff 's S amd my D18 were placed in West Quad as freshman.

1 Like

How do kids from your school do with those stats with acceptances to Michigan?

It was a great dorm. They put a couch in their dorm they had so much extra room

10/18 accepted on Naviance for EA with lower average ACT but higher GPA. But quarter of his school go to top schools for athletics so hard to know how many of those kids accepted were actually athletes.

I guess we will see how holistic they really are. Not sure how competitive the PitE program is but he has deep resume on environment.

Well, it’s the 1st time that I’ve heard “PitE” mentioned here in the Michigan forum, since I’ve been on CC. I had to look it up, since I’m unfamiliar with the designation.

PitE appears located in LSA. Applicants are accepted into schools, not specific majors, even though on the app they ask the applicant to submit their choice of major. Unless they’ve made changes this year, majors aren’t officially declared until the end of sophomore year.

We were told during orientation that 75-85% of freshman change their major. My D18 was part of the 15-25%. :grinning:

1 Like

Unweighted 3.6 is tough at Michigan when the avg LSA is 3.9. With 32-35 Act.
Hopefully he is doing great Hua senior year. They will want his grades through midterm. Also getting deferred is more the norm to Regular Decision for just about everyone it seems with more application. Nice program he’s applying to. Hopefully it works out.

1 Like

FYI - school of information is so popular that it is… pre admit.
https://www.si.umich.edu/programs/bachelor-science-information/how-do-i-apply/preferred-admissions

Here is a list of all preadmits.

What is STAMPS? What is the process to apply for merit aid?

28 /12,000 students. Very hard to get.

So you are awarded it, so you don’t apply for it BUT you have to apply EA.

5 Likes