UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Last year’s ADS test was the week before the Umich EA results came out. It was hilarious watching all of the kids get nervous around 3pm waiting to see if the decisions were in. Good luck to your student on the test! It was hard for my daughter to turn down the MSU money, but her heart was with Michigan.

2 Likes

Thanks. His dream is UMich. We will see what happens. I can imagine it will be like that at 3pm :joy: I was hoping we would hear today to avoid that lol

Where will everyone be on Friday at 3pm?

getting out of econ class :joy_cat:

Dismissal for me is at 2:45 so I will be sticking 15 minutes extra after my APES class to check the results. The whole school will hear my reaction no matter an acceptance or not lol.

5 Likes

love it!

2 Likes

Arriving home from therapy :sob: I keep joking that it’s perfect timing!

5 Likes

I do not have access to either of their portals at any schools.

4 Likes

I’d like to know the state. I feel CA students have been shafted at other schools. Curious of this is a trend.

3 Likes

Ha! I do not have access to portals or common app or anything, for D23 or D21…because I would not be able to resist logging in and delving into portal astrology and hence driving my kids nuts. So. I just wait for them…even if they are not home and take hours after admissions are out to check. At least I get to whine on here about it! My job is to pay the college bills and give hugs, on good days and bad.

6 Likes

And that’s fine, if the applicant doesn’t mind revealing their state location. But some of the state numbers get so small, like a WY for example, that some applicants could potentially put together a CC name and a real name and then it’s not confidential any longer.

FWIW, Michigan has not “shorted” CA applicants in my time here. The Top 10 States represented at UMichigan are:

1. Michigan 22,040
  2. CA 3,021
  3. NY 2,538
  4. IL 2,463
  5. NJ 1,331
  6. FL 946
  7. OH 895
  8. MA 830
  9. TX 800
  10. PA 747

https://ro.umich.edu/reports/enrollment-report/enrollment-geographic-location/enrollment-geographic-location

5 Likes

Wasn’t suggesting anyone report anything they are not comfortable with. Also not accusing Michigan specifically of shorting CA residents. But if people are comfortable, there is utility in reporting that data just as much as any other data.

1 Like

As a CA Dad, I’m not so sure that CA gets shafted as much as colleges want to draw from across the nation and CA (especially NorCal, 2x esp. Bay Area) is very STEM-heavy on applications. Apply to the most impacted majors and you’ll see lower acceptance rates… too many in one geographic area and you’ll see higher stats required to stand out in your school. This sounds like CA getting shafted, but would like to see acceptance rates/stats for unpopular majors… no bias against CA IMO, just desire to have balance across regions/majors for incoming class and CA applicants are somewhat unbalanced.

7 Likes

I’ve always had my kids’ portals. Once they’ve submitted everything and checked for follow up I tell them to go back to being a student and I will keep an eye on their portals. Usually, I see that there are updates before they do and let them know. Most of the time they ask me to check and let them know. This last time my son said okay I’ll check and hung up on my - longest three minutes ever!! But it was good news!!

Things parents should know - once a portal is checked, there may not be an email sent about an update (Michigan is one of those). Also, some admit letters only show grafitti etc the first time so if you open it, your child will miss out. Even with my chlld telling me to check, I felt bad they missed out.

1 Like

I didn’t get that feeling at all from your previous statement.

In any event, CC is a very small sample of the 55,000 +/- (last year’s estimate) EA apps, but personally, if I’m culling data for later use and post here, which I’ve done in the past, then the actual US state, other knowing in-state vs OOS, would not be meaningful to me.

Each CC member, of course, may do as they please.

1 Like

Bay Area STEM is the most competitive by far. My Bay Area kids are applying to Econ and Film/TV which shouldn’t be as bad. But we shall see.

4 Likes

I guess you misunderstood me then. I personally am interested in which state OOS and if folks are comfortable revealing that then great. I generally mention OOS (CA) when I post.

1 Like

yes! this! I initially had him handling everything but then some deadlines were missed and information not received…he’s applying to 9 schools so WAY too many details up in the air. Ended up making a spreadsheet with links to each portal and I could post important dates or anything like that I found. I started checking portals about a month ago regularly and tying up allllll the many financial aid loose ends that would have been near impossible for him to juggle. BUT, once i knew everything was in order and answers would be this week for several of his schools I have now stopped checking…that is his fun surprise, I don’t want to spoil it!

2 Likes

Yes

We had a spreadsheet very detailed like a Google doc so everyone could check it. We did it with the kids to make sure it was done. We did financial stuff but it was their portal. If something needed to be done we showed them how and with them, not for them. They were all busy with activities etc but it’s a skill also and getting ready to go to college. They had a responsibility to make sure things were up to date etc. But because of the master spreadsheet we knew when to bug them and when not to.

If people find out acceptances /rejections, postponed before their child it will show. Kids know. I knew when Michigan was coming out since I was on here. I just asked him at some point. “How’s your day going”… He waited till he was home to tell us…

Same on some rejections. I didn’t have to say anything and neither did he. We knew and just left it at that… But… Ice cream was still there…lol…

3 Likes