UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

How do we know they wont come out at 3 today?

2 Likes

Have they officially announced the decision date?

2 Likes

It is the state of Michigans 186 birthday!

2 Likes

are they announcing tomorrow (Friday the 27th) at 3pm?

We don’t. Check back in and let us know.

Michigan released on the last Friday of January the last two years. But, Michigan does switch it up from time to time, so its possible for them to release it today. Still, it’s most likely that they will release it tomorrow than today.

1 Like

We are OOS and will be driving to see my daughter’s synchronized skating competition in Illinois. She skates on University of Michigan’s collegiate team. We know the odds are he will be deferred to regular decision, but wouldn’t it be great to get an acceptance on the same day he gets to see his sister and her skating friends. They would all be so excited!

5 Likes

omg, no you don’t check your kid’s portal. If my mom had opened my letter back in the day before I could view whether or not I had been accepted, I would have been furious. Of course, back in those days we knew if we were accepted if the envelope was fat vs the thin rejection letters.

8 Likes

Doing important things for your kids because they are busy can backfire.

If they don’t know how to prioritize now, they will be at greater risk away at college - for all sorts of situations.

I totally get the parent need to ensure financial aid/scholarship deadlines aren’t missed…. But speaking as a parent who throws kid #2 to the wolves way more than #1… I think kid #2 is honing those survival skills ahead of the older sibling. And it’s a good thing. A Really Good Thing.

So I suggest making them handle as much as is possible. Even if it’s hard.

12 Likes

I’m interested to see Michigan selection criteria for declaring CS as a sophomore if kid is not applying as a CS major. They have not posted the specifics of how they will decide yet.
My kid is interested Bioinformatics/Data Science for now, but I just want to understand the full picture. I am UMich alum and the profs for some classes were really hit or miss, eg a visiting Norwegian linear algebra professor who was totally incomprehensible. Some departments are plagued by a multitude of such profs. I appreciated the flexibility back then to switch majors after 2 terrible core classes experience, allowing me to stumble into CS from Math. I didn’t even know it was back then when I applied :sweat_smile:. This ended up being a lot more fun anyways. Hoping for similar flexibility for the kid.

2 Likes

yes…it was the financial stuff that killed us…we own a farm and businesses as well as me having multiple jobs. The CSS profile was our true nightmare and breaking point haha. And then allll the documents we needed to upload (Cornell has them all in ahead of time, I’m sure Mich will eventually ask for them)…so you reaaaallly want me to upload my 90 page tax document? okey dokey lol!

5 Likes

Opening portals vs. opening mail
My mom called me at school to tell me that I had gotten into Northwestern- back in 1988! I got called down to the Student Services office with an urgent message to call my mom. I was scared to death. I went down and called my mom. She screamed, “Your got into Northwestern!” I was excited but mad she had opened my mail. She said, “I didn’t open it! The big purple envelope has giant letters that say “The Next Four Years!”:joy::joy::joy:
Ended up choosing Michigan.:joy:
I made sure I let my kids open their own portals!

9 Likes

I’m still hoping for today. But also realizing Monday or Tuesday are possibilities which is killing me!

1 Like

If Michigan does not release by this Friday, then that will be a fail of epic proportions.

6 Likes

Your mom sure made it memorable. You might have forgotten the moment you opened the acceptance envelope but you will never forget how you came to know. I always feel we must strive to create memories. Very warm memory this one for sure.

3 Likes

Most colleges have been sending emails several hours (or days) after posting the status on their portal.

1 Like

Not a fan of the CSS….

3 Likes

So frustrating finding all of that info I could have cried…in fact I am pretty sure I did LOL…our IDOC now has like 25 documents in it! FAFSA was way easier

I’ve prepared for it to be tomorrow or later for so long that I think I’d almost be annoyed if it were today :sob:

3 Likes

I’m not so sure. MIT’s already gone back and I wouldn’t be surprised if others eventually do, starting with other STEM-heavy schools and departments. Over time, everyone will position “15% acceptance rate” about where we used to position “30% acceptance rate” in our brains, since pretty much every school has seen its application numbers skyrocket after COVID. So collecting tons more applications to create the impression of increased selectivity eventually doesn’t work. Year over year, there aren’t that many more high school seniors.

It also is starting to feel to me like we’ve seen the beginning of a backlash to removing one of the two elements of measurable metric from the process. It’s made “holistic” go from “subjective” to “chaotic” or “random” in parents’ minds, and is pushing the envelope on what people think is meritocratic. There are enough instances of kids with nearly identical demographics and similar grades/rigor from the same high schools, where one who doesn’t submit test scores gets in over one who does (presumably because they had better results), that everyone’s aware of the phenomenon now, and most aren’t big fans of it. This is all perceptible to admissions offices, and given the unfortunate fact that higher education has become a business, they have branding concerns.

Then again, this place is a self-selecting echo chamber, so I may be blindered!

7 Likes