UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

You’d think that colleges being public or non-profit privates that they wouldn’t care too much about squeezing as much money out of ya as possible… :sweat_smile:

Then you look at how affordable colleges in other countries are… :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

D18 had a upper level math course taught by a professor from the Asian continent, I won’t give the specific country so as to not “out” him. Anyway, he was also hard to understand, but then he’s been writing D18’s LOR’s for grad schools and D18 thinks the world of him.

Great teacher, according to D18. Just took a bit more effort from her and the professor also recognized the issue as well.

2 Likes

You’d think, but someone has to pay the bills. For publics, if the state legislature (and ultimately the state’s taxpayers) refuse to fund the priorities of the university system (and priorities & resources do not always align with the priorities of the legislature), then they need to find the money somewhere, or adjust priorities. If the university priorities include meeting most need and prioritizing access for first-gen, someone has to pay for that. If the legislature does not? Well, then it is more often than not wealthy OOS students or international… UC schools are a great example of this.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like today is the day! 3:00pm and an empty portal still

3pm is here, nothin so far…

4 Likes

Yep. Been there, done that… Now they don’t ask for advice since they just handle things on their own… Lol

1 Like

Did they announce when the decision date would be ahead of time last year?

1 Like

School of information /data science is great btw…

My son also had a professor like this but went to the graduate student for help… In 4 years not too horrible. Overall he really liked his professors especially in higher up engineering classes.

1 Like

Nope. My daughter just checked every day, multiple times a day.

ugh. I’ll probably see it on CC first. D will be at school anyway (we’re PT zone).

1 Like

My wife and I were both 1st gen college students. I have definitely more than paid back my share in taxes for any benefit from the Fed programs that help me pay for school. Unfortunately, Most of those fed programs have been gutted. My first kid went to the top engineering school for their area… graduated a semester early and is working on their masters in a top 4 grad program in their area. My current kid has already been accepted in a top 5 engineering program for the area that they want. We have paid out of state for the first and will do the same for the second one. Prioritizing 1st gen should be considering an investment for our society’s future. It would be interesting to look into what caused tuition to sky rocket since 1990. Reduced funding from Fed/State Gov? (Not an issue in Europe) Reduced restrictions on Student Loans?

4 Likes

I’m not arguing against those programs, BTW… public schools especially should make higher education accessible to those deserving students in their state, independent of income. Schools ARE placing a focus on first-gen admits though (especially CA, which was 40% enrollment last year at UCs and slightly lower at CSUs). This means (on average) more students need financial aid of some sort and this is exacerbated by any reduction in federal programs (both reduce per-student revenue). When state budgets cut spending as well, schools are left with a decision… increase tuition, increase proportion of higher tuition students (OOS, INTL), or reduce/freeze expenses/services. Few top schools have attempted the latter (Purdue being a notable exception). I think the policy that EVERYONE should have access/opportunity to higher ed is great, but I also think too much focus has been placed on an ‘everyone NEEDS a college degree to succeed’ mindset. Trades have suffered for labor (and often compare well compensation-wise to less in-demand college degrees due to that shortage). If I were in charge, both need and merit-based aid would be used to incentivize enrollment in fields with current or projected shortages. Saddling students with 6-figure debt burdens and low-paying career prospects is criminal in my mind. I actually like what CU Boulder has done… they invested $100M in a new aerospace building (with a robust in-state aero industry) and accept in-state students at >90% into that program (probably their best engr program and one of the top 10 or so nationally). It is a tough pill to swallow to pay OOS tuition or to get rejected, but that is one model for investment in the state’s economy and students. I’m not sure of all the reasons for increased cost (there are many), but it is certainly too expensive for many!

4 Likes

How would you encourage an applicant do this? Thx.

1 Like

I wish it were still like this - I was accepted to Michigan in November of 1989! It was such a relief to know so early in my senior year (although I ended up elsewhere).

I agree with your example or Purdue and CU. For OOS, CU engineering is about $20K per year more than Purdue. But Purdue has several Engineering programs in the top 15(most in top 10). For CU, Areo is #10, but the other Engineering programs are not in the top 15. There has also been a growth in the number of Aerospace companies near CU and in Colorado. So CU investing in Aerospace should be an example for their other programs. Also CU cost more per year than Georgia Tech which has the #1 Aerospace undergrad program.

For fixing the Trades issue, that is a more challenging situation. Licensing and apprenticeships are still very locally controlled. And excess in student loans may have caused more predatory “Trade Schools” that want tuition more than a successful student. There are too many powerful parties that like the status quo.

Do you think that Public schools should be allowed to provide preferred treatment to Legacy candidates? Should a legacy candidate be admitted over a more qualified candidate? Or over a more qualified first gen?

1 Like

Not a fan of legacy for public or private.

8 Likes

The people I have helped personally (not on here) have pretty much done the same thing whether a large or smaller school.

Around junior year go to information sessions. Get the card of the speakers! School rep /AO. Write to them in the off season about something you can’t just look up. Question about something that you want more information on. When going on tours meet with a professor or department person. Ask questions. So when doing your essay you can use this in it. Write a letter of Intent to let them know after researching your really interested. This is NOT a loci which is a letter of continued interest. This is done after not being accepted. You want to do something prior . Go to the websites and educate your self. Some schools use AI or something to track if you made an ID or website access.

In senior year talk to the AO early in the game. Not in the busy season per se. Some would ask to be put in touch with another student to learn more about X. The AO etc sometimes will check back with the student if you followed up and how it went. Common in smaller schools…

So before you even submit an application you have at least 2, touches to the AO and it does get put in a file. Plus your schools AO for X college gets to know your name and that your interested in the college.

Many will tell you they never did any of this and spent 2 minutes on the essay and got in EA. But this helps to separate some students out. Some will disagree with all of this. I am just answering your question of what I have seen helpful. Both my kids did most of this but it was honestly since they had certain interests and wanted to explore more.

Hope that answers your question.

4 Likes

Not a fan of legacy but there was a study done a long time ago showing something like 80% of legacies go to that college. So it’s a business move for the college to help predict their enrollment.

Legacy at Michigan the last 4 year’s we have seen many legacy kids get denied. If their qualified they have the same rights to apply and hope to get in. It seems the importance has decreased at least here.

1 Like

Picking Legacy also helps protect a college’s high yield Because legacy are more likely to accept an admission offer…

6 Likes

I agree

1 Like