UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Daughter-OOS
Early Action- Fall 2023
Class rank 7/450
13th highest rated high school in MN
GPA 3.95 UW
ACT 34 Composite- 32 Math 32 Science 36 Reading 35 English
12 AP Classes, 6 honors classes
5 scores on AP exams in Human Geo, Psych, Art Hist, Calc AB, Chem, 4 on US Hist, Eng Lang
4 year Marching Band, Drum Major senior year, 2 time State champion
Jazz Band
University of MN Honors Band
Science Olympiad- 4 years, Jr/Sr year captain
NHS-2 year member
Would be 3rd generation legacy at UMich
Planned Major- chemistry

Chance for EA?

1 Like

Being an OOS student it’s always a reach. Like to see a higher act math score. Just bring picky here. If your taking rigor courses and at the highest math you can be then things look positive. The problem is with so many students applying its a crapshoot. If your school sends students with your stats to Michigan that’s great then.

Not trying to be a bummer but don’t be hopeful about the legacy piece. My kid was 3rd generation and was waitlisted with 3.8 gpa and 31. Yes low for michigan but legacy did not tip the scales.

1 Like

https://admissions.umich.edu/assets/docs/FAQs-EA.pdf

1 Like

UCLA is an amazing place to go to undergrad. I believe that the California location (and being in Westwood), the excellent programs, the ranking as the top public university are all factors that help contribute to the number of applications. Also, they probably get some more applications for not requiring standardized tests at all.

In terms of reputation, isn’t Michigan ahead of UCLA? I could be wrong.

They’re both well regarded schools. UCLA is stronger in some majors, and Michigan in others.

Anecdotally, UCLA seems to be more widely known globally.

2 Likes

I don’t believe so. I guess it depends where in the country you live. I grew up in CA (on East Coast now), and I’m sure it won’t be surprising to hear that I went to UCLA. Back then, no one I knew considered Michigan or applied. I think UCLA’s focus has always been on the undergrad experience, but there seems to be less of an alumni culture than what I believe Michigan has. Both are amazing universities, that’s for sure!

1 Like

I think you are right. Both Michigan and UCLA are equally good. However, in New York City, I find more Michigan graduates.

3 Likes

One effect of going to UCLA (versus Michigan) might be that a job in New York City becomes relatively less desirable - weather, comparison with LA for other reasons, west coast preference, etc…

This may be repeating what others have said, but the objective academic caliber of in-state students might be higher right now at UCLA than Michigan, because of the state populations being so different (in number and in other ways). But historically, Michigan may have had a stronger out-of-state cohort, and that could also contribute to how many alumni are seen in NY.

In terms of the QS World University Rankings, Michigan is #25 and UCLA is #44.

Keep in mind, it is just one international ranking.

Nope. Really close. Michigan avg is 3.9 with 32-35 Act. Not engineering.

Ucla is something like 3.9 29-32.

Unweighted GPA.
https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses-majors/ucla/freshman-admission-profile.html

https://admissions.umich.edu/apply/first-year-applicants/first-year-student-profile

Both great schools.

Exactly.

IMO it’s pointless to debate which one is better. Each has its pros and cons, but both are great schools.

For every ranking system that shows one of these schools ranked higher than the other, you’ll find another that shows the opposite. (And there’s that old adage that each person prefers the ranking system that ranks their school higher :grinning:)

In any case, this is the UMich Early action thread, not the “which school is better?” thread.

2 Likes

That is why I just took the information off their website or use the cds…

This is actually the ranking I prefer…

https://michigan.rivals.com/news/ranking-big-ten-football-uniforms-from-best-to-worst#:~:text=%231%20Michigan%20Wolverines,college%20football%20than%20Michigan’s%20uniforms.

2 Likes

Or this ranking…

2 Likes

I think he has a good chance. He will likely be weighed against others who are not submitting scores with the percent allocated based on the overall percent of applicants not submitting scores.

Helps that he’s in state and hopefully one of the best applicants in his region within those parameters.

His AP scores may play a bit more and certainly the manner in which his app reconstructs his great achievements.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Very helpful, and hopeful, feedback thank you. Hoping to report good news on this thread in Dec or Jan!

2 Likes

Now, you’re reminding me that USC and UCLA are leaving the “Pac-12” (or whatever it’s called these days)! Just happy to see UCLA in the top 20 here…

Is there a specific date for EA decisions in late January yet?

3 Likes