UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Do postponed students receive notification of acceptance on a rolling basis, or do those decisions come out in March?

1 Like

In the past, it seemed there were some rolling decisions on some Fridays… maybe once a month? But I’m not certain this year will be the same. We’ll probably know by the end of Feb…

1 Like

His GPA is low even for instate. So it comes down to known rigor which he should have with IB. If his grades are great like all As this will help, senior year. They want kids to Excel senior year and get ready for college. Michigan State engineering is excellent and so are others instate FYI.

Look at naviance at your school and see where he compares to those accepted. Michigan engineering avg student is 3.93 unweighted with 34 Act. They will accept lower instate but not that much for engineering.

Second thing is Michigan engineering is extremely difficult. Most kids GPA drop a full point compared to high school. This is really disheartening for top performers. Many kids flame out also.

Only the school should reach out on your behalf if they are willing. You won’t be the only one asking. Also the AOs are really busy. You don’t want to piss them off. Following the rules in the email is part of the process.

So just postponed is great (I know it doesn’t feel that way right now) but they honestly are looking for grade improvement or at least stable in senior year. They really do a holistic review that takes a lot of time compared to other schools.

I would look at where he got accepted to also and look at those programs. Get excited about other choices. No one should ever count just on one school environment.

Good luck and please ask away.

1 Like

Curious if you might know or can suggest where to find any GPA stats on admits to the School of Kinesiology? (Specifically looking at the Sports Management major.) Thanks!

@sushiritto… Get off the beach… :beach_umbrella:

2 Likes

No beach today. It’s raining.

Sorry, but I haven’t seen any admissions stats for just the School of Kinesiology or specifically the Sports Management major.

If I had to speculate, then the Sports Management major skews high, roughly the median for the entire university. It’s extremely popular.

1 Like

He has gotten accepted to a few other good engin schools (MSU, Texas a&m, and ohio state to name a few) so we are working through those while waiting on michigan. His GPA is brought down mainly by non STEM classes and his STEMs for senior year are all As so fingers crossed but all your points about the rigor of michigan engin and keeping options open are valid and appreciated. Thank you.

2 Likes

All great choices but OSU :joy:

2 Likes

Duke, Vandy and Northwestern probably draw some full pay kids. Does Michigan cover full need for OOS applicants like the Ivy plus ones?

No it does not

2 Likes

I know it’s crazy. UMich has 85,000 applicants so they can pick and choose. And they are crazy expensive for sure! AA is an amazing college town. The campus is so much nicer than GT (IMO) and one of my sons reasons for going there is that they actually have a football team to root for! I know that sounds dumb. But he can get an education anywhere. He would also like a ‘college experience“

3 Likes

I know at least 40 instate kids, all 3.85 and higher and 1/2 with scores of at least 1500….postponed. I would move on if I were your son. Sorry. (This is my third kid applying to Michigan and he finally got in for engineering. My first two did not, even though both my husband and I graduated from there. It’s a tough school and a hard pill to swallow, not getting in.

5 Likes

Anyone get Merit money from school of engineering yet? I know some LSA kids that did.

1 Like

When does Michigan typically release tuition costs for the next school year? Also, have there been historically large increases for out-of-state rates? Thanks for any information.

Actual tuition rates won’t be approved until the June Regents meeting.

I am not sure about year-to-year increases, but the numbers are all available in the website. I will see if I can find the link.

2 Likes

It seems to go up yearly sadly.

1 Like

University of Michigan raises tuition for upcoming school year.

https://record.umich.edu/articles/most-in-state-undergrads-to-see-no-additional-tuition-costs/

I do not know any of the GPA stats for Sports Management major admits…but I will add some insight that the number of admitted freshmen for this specific major is less than 100. I was shocked when we heard the Dean announce that they had only taken around 75 the year my son was accepted to this program. That said, it is such an amazing program with personalized attention given the small number. Cannot say enough good things about it! You can private message me with more questions if you like! I hope your son/daughter is accepted!

1 Like

I have an OOS EA engineering admit, and we’ve heard nothing, yet.

2 Likes

OOS, Engineering admit too. I was looking at the website and I get the feeling there really isn’t merit money? Students have to apply for different scholarships if not need based? If anyone can clarify, let me know.