UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

No. They can apply as a double major.

Dual-Degree Applicants | University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Each school at Michigan has its own admissions process, so yes, you can be admitted to SMTD and not LSA.

Although, theoretically, if one has been accepted to SMTD, which technically can be considered your “home school,” a Ross acceptance and LSA rejection is one possible outcome.

No 2nd waves in-state this year?? like Feb25 2022??

1 Like
2 Likes

Glad to share that my OOS son is awarded $25k/year Engineering Scholarship of Honor for 4 years… Certainly makes UMich a serious contender now…

Purdue offered full ride… although we are OOS.

GaTech FinAid is awaited… OOS as well.

Now, any opinions on GaTech vs. UMich vs. Purdue for Aerospace kid? My kid’s interest is to become an aerospace entrepreneur with AeroTaxi like businessline…

9 Likes

Any of them!! Congrats. Go with affordability and fit /feel at this point. What does he want out of a college experience? Michigan is easier to transfer to something else within engineering or beyond (yes, committed kids do change majors no matter how set he is now)…

Where does he see himself if everything else is equal? He will have the same types of offers at all schools. It’s nice having great choices. Really can’t go wrong.

3 Likes

The least expensive with the best fit in terms of geographic location and student culture.

2 Likes

All are great… if current successes are any evidence in his current passion (UAM entrepreneur), undergrad choice is not the most critical element. Joby/JoeBen Bevirt (UC Davis ME undergrad), Archer (Florida Business grads), and Wisk/Sebastian Thrun (ed in Germany, on faculty at CMU and Stanford) each took different paths. Just go with the right fit for your son & family ($).

2 Likes

Are there any specific dates for postponed students to hear back?

5 Likes

I differ with this opinion. It does make a huge difference in creating an eco system for success. For example, for Aerospace GaTech is #1 and UMich is #3; but one will have a better prospect of finding a partner/co-founder from business school at UMich than GaTech.

In other words, the time it takes to realize kid’s long term aspirations can be shortened if they find a “right” partner with “missing” business knowledge… and that is more probable at UMich’s Ross.

3 Likes

I agree to a point. Some schools just do a better job getting you ready for the real world. First affordability. I think to some point people get to hung up on where to go and I totally get it. Yes, you can do well at just about any school and have great outcomes but some schools it’s just part of their culture. Making it easier to meeting certain expectations and internships /jobs. Also not all schools have the same opportunities on campus and this can drive to someone’s outcome. I think the undergrad experience can shape you or not for future success.

3 Likes

GaTech for same cost as UM. Great opportunities and tremendous grad program. Only MIT and CalTech are tougher admits.

2 Likes

does this decision come out this week or next week

1 Like

There is no announced date, but based on prior years it will most likely be 3/24 or 3/31.

4 Likes

D, accepted Waitlist spot for SMTD Dance :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: We’ll take it!

8 Likes

@despo-dad just curious - did your OOS son recently hear about his scholarship after having been accepted EA weeks ago? We were under the impression that my daughter’s accepted school (Stamps) also awards a handful of scholarships that include OOS students, but we haven’t heard anything so we aren’t sure if that opportunity has already passed. We are OOS also and UM is a strong contender for my D but the cost is a big ouch!

2 Likes

Yes. My son got EA acceptance and very discouraging financial aid notification as well.
Then on one fine day, the email about the scholarship came.

4 Likes

That’s excellent, and leaves us with some hope! Congrats and thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

My son is awaiting decision from being postponed. He received an email asking to submit CSS so his financial aid application could be reviewed. Is there a possibility he may be getting in?

2 Likes