UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Ahh that hurt. :slightly_smiling_face:

I belong to a small gym not too far away from the campus of Stanford U. Yesterday, I introduced myself to a new gym member who was wearing a tank top with the block “M” and “GO BLUE!” on it.

I asked him what year did he graduate, he said spent the summer there, but went to and graduated from UCLA. Huh, what? A UCLA grad wearing a Michigan shirt. He said he loved A2 that summer and wish he could have attended.

There are at least 2-3 other members in this small specialized gym (not 24-hour Fitness type gym) that graduated Michigan. One other who graduated Michigan Law School.

Anyway, my point? I just don’t see or feel that kind of “brand” loyalty, even with Stanford, Cal and Santa Clara in/around the SF Bay Area.

As @CCName1 said, if you can afford the difference, then I’d choose Michigan.

3 Likes

agreed- can’t tell if good or bad either.

1 Like

My son did get the email. Can’t read into it at all :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Can you copy the text of the email and paste? Definitely did not get it and applied to AES

I have to try to access it on my son’s email when I see him later. It only went to the applicant, not the parent.

2 Likes

Agree…I think many believe it just sounds cool to say headed out of state. We are very appreciative to have UM as a great option.

1 Like

Which major in Kines for your son?

AES here

2 Likes

My understanding is that historically, it was the last Friday in March. So, it could be this Friday, or it could be early next week to give ivy acceptances time to withdraw. Very strategic. Maybe they think that those who really want mich are willing to wait? Just MHO!

3 Likes

He applied MVS

1 Like

1350 is no longer ok to submit to Michigan; advice is to submit only if in the top 25%. So, this year, that was 1450ish? Can’t remember exact number, but it will just get higher every year as fewer and fewer are able to submit. Eventually, they’ll be like UCLA before they got rid of SAT—range of 1530-1550. I’m glad they’re going more holistic overall, and hope they allow test optional though I do think they need ED.

EA deferred = RD. :slight_smile:

I just came back over here to read the interesting discussions!

2 Likes

NYU this year was 1540 median! Same dynamic. Frightening,

My DS with 1360 got in EA for Aero. CoE offered most generous scholarship as well due to which UMich costs almost same as GeorgiaTech for us (both OOS).

3 Likes

That’s awesome, congratulations! Some counselors are advising not to submit.

1 Like

That depends what school in Chicago. Look at the number of the selective enrollment schools. Close to half apply like at Northside etc.

Congrats but if your kid got into both GT and Michigan for engineering then you are proving out the holistic review they actually do and it is also comparing to your own school stats and their avg I am assuming your student has done some good things along the way and projected some things in their essays that stood out. That’s awesome and hope they have a successful year.

3 Likes

Strong hint to apply for winter term. Also strong hint many will be wait listed. Good luck. So if accept wait list you might be given this option. There are students that would accept this.

Any chance of decisions this Friday?

2 Likes

Yep. Alway a chance when asking an open ended question. Also a chance I win the lotto this weekend. :joy:.

So Friday is March 31. Decisions are “early” April on the website. Some say they will pull applications if not this Friday even though the website says early April… Hmmm…

1 Like