UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

“because a lot of people drop out by the way”…wow, you say that so nonchalantly, but aren’t you concerned? do you have the dropout statistic? why do so many drop out? i assume it’s b/c they drop below the gpa requirement…is it because the grading system at umkc is so difficult or b/c ppl mess around too much or what?

Well… it is before finals… but right now I have a 3.93 (<strong><em>just barely</em></strong>)…so :slight_smile:

I think a lot of people drop out because they simply aren’t used to studying in high school, or because UMKC simply isn’t for them. A lot of people don’t “drop out” but they have to extend because their GPA is too low (ie. failed a class). Extending means finishing in 7 (or 8) years instead of 6. Right now I <strong>think</strong> there are only 84 people in year 4… Usually about 20-25% leave someway or another.

This is another reason why I feel that stats don’t matter. I study my little butt off and I am doing just find, while others with insane scores are getting C’s or lower. And I guess the classes are hard, in that they are definitely not like high school… I have friends who come from schools where apparently if you are in an Honors or AP class, pretty much the entire class gets an A. In college a C is average to above average… so most people in the class will get them… this shocked a lot of people.

I can’t speak from experience yet, because I have just started, but the advisors here are amazing. If you are struggling there are plenty of avenues you can take to get your GPA where it needs to be… contrary to what some people say, I don’t feel like I am being weeded out (yet…).

Ok I’m so going to studying now… 3 days left! :slight_smile:

Hey…for those of you have already been interviewed as well as for those who will be interviewed…help the rest of us out by posting in the interview feedback section on StudentDocotor Network

I also applied for UMKC this year. I was wondering how much communication some of you have had with the SOM. My acceptance from the undergrad school came about a month ago, but I have not recieved word from the SOM. I’m from Missouri if it makes a difference. Some of my stats are:
30 ACT
1/569
4.378/4.0 gpa, 4.0 unweighted
5 AP Calc AB
5 AP Stats
Young Scientist Participant (8 weeks AD research)
Lots of EC including Stuco Prez

Thanks

I too applied to umkc SOM and haven’t heard a thing back from the undergrad or program. my stats are in the thread “help”, could someone verify the timeline for admissions and interview decisions for both the undergrad and program?

I called up the Selection Committee and was told that they were have difficulty finding interviewers. Also, they were going though all the in-state applicants first, out-of-state applicants will probably be interviewed sometime january-february. Also, Interview invites will not be sent by mail: They will call you.

~akshar

thanks, have any other programs besides tcnj(had phone interview yesterday) started interviewing?

Quoted from another posting. This pretty much sums up what I am trying to say. I very much honor what Doctors do, I am just saying that a traditional track open the mind while enabling better residencies for those who care to go after those jobs.

<hr>

I am a faculty member of one of the top-ranked medical schools and have served on the admissions committee at another top-ranked school.

I think the major advantage for going to a combined program would be to short-track (6 or 7 yr programs), and thus save 1-2 years of your education and tuition. I think a very highly motivated and mature student could take advantage of the time saved, particularly if they were interested in a specialty of medicine that required very long training (e.g.,cardiac surgery). I don’t see any advantage to an 8 year program other than than having the security of knowing you are in medical school.

I agree with Slipper1234 that going to college for four years has its advantages, whether it be at an Ivy/top LAC or an honors program at a state university. You have the opportunity to explore other areas and may even find that medicine is not what you really want to do (Over the years, several of my classmates have left medicine to pursue other activities). You also can pursue some academic area in depth of your own choosing rather than take a prepackaged curriculum. To me, the freedom to develop one’s intellectual interests is very special and should not be given up easily. Additionally, doing well in college enables you to get into one of the better medical schools, which in turn, enables you to get into more competitive residency programs. Many of the schools in the combined programs are not highly regarded and their graduates would not be highly-ranked by residency directors of the top programs unless they were the among the very top of their class. On the other hand, students from top medical schools (even below average students) get into excellent programs.

I think my foregoing comments apply mostly if you are interested in competitive specialties and subspecialties. On the other hand, if your major goal is just to practice good medicine (particularly in primary care) then the prestige of the degree or residency training is not that critical. Most patients never ask where you went to med school or residency-they just want a competent, caring physician.

Last, med schools look favorably upon applicants who may worked for 1-2 years after college or longer. They feel these students may be more mature and have real life experiences that give them a better perspective on medicine. Medical school/residency is a conveyor belt. Once you step on board, you will keep moving ahead and it is difficult to step off. It does not allow a lot of time for personal exploration or reflection, even though you will grow and be challenged during your training."

have any out-of-state applicants been notified for interviews yet?

I’m from Michigan and my interview call came about 2-3 weeks ago, and they set it up for January 6th

Interesting from website…

<a href=“http://research.med.umkc.edu/education/default.html[/url]”>http://research.med.umkc.edu/education/default.html&lt;/a&gt;

“* Non-resident fees apply to students who do not have or whose parents do not have Missouri state personal income tax liability. Out-of-state residents may be eligible for in-state classification for fee purposes if the student or dependent student’s parents have Missouri state personal income tax liability.”

and then…

“Out-of-state residents applying to this program agree to the non-resident fee payment and other fees paid by resident students for a full six years or longer if individual circumstances require and agree not to apply for or otherwise claim entitlement to any UMKC non-resident scholarship.”

!!!

but…

Financial Aid

“The UMKC School of Medicine each year offers students thousands of dollars in financial assistance from the many endowments and scholarships available to incoming first-year students and minority students.”

sar05 from michigan: can you give us some stats?

thank

Hmm…my stats aren’t all that great…but hey, here goes nothing!
ACT:30
Ap Calc. sr. year
ap bio- sr. year
ap english-sr year
ap psych-sr year
ap chem-jr. 3 <------- Yikes…:stuck_out_tongue:
2 years-working in medical records of family practice
Job shadow of former minister of health of Costa Rica (that was really fun)
Relay for Life committee member
If you wanted to see my extracurriculars let me know. Hope this helps some.

Congratulations on getting an interview and good luck! Can I hear some more of your extracurriculars?

Hey thanks! I’m pretty excited. Um…let’s see…extracurriculars include:
4 yrs. varsity swim team
West Michigan Swim team
4 yrs. jv/varsity water polo
st. cecelia’s youth symphony-first chair violist
model un delegate
literati club member
published in TeenInk
first place in high school writing contest
member of pitt for spring musical
Techie for a musical
co-captain @ Lake Ann baptist camp
Girls’ State participant-award for press reporting
piano-10 years
licensed scuba diver
work in the medical records of a family practice-2 years
tutor
NHS
multiple job shadows
4 year honor roll and academic letter recipient
Okay…so that’s about all that I can remember and that may be all of them period, thanks for your interest!

Sure- Congratulations!
and follow up on how things are going for you :slight_smile:

Hey sar,
Good to see others from MI.

Wanted to ask you if you applied to MSU’s BS/MD and if you’ve heard anything yet. Haven’t heard anything myself. Keeping my fingers crossed, though…

SLU’s 7-year Pre-medical scholar’s program is also excellent.
Moreover, as long as you get accepted to SLU and have decent ACT/SAT Scores you are pretty much automatically accepted into the medical school.
<a href=“http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/phs/medScholars.html[/url]”>http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/phs/medScholars.html&lt;/a&gt;

Have any other applicants had interview’s with UMKC yet?
If, so please fill out this form: <a href=“http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/interview_enter.asp[/url]”>http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/interview_enter.asp&lt;/a&gt;

Thanks to all and good luck,
akshar

congrats sar05, from a fellow girls stater, texas though :slight_smile: lots of luck at the interview!

Hey!! Yeah actually I did apply to the MSU med scholars program, and I haven’t heard anything back from them either…but here’s to hoping! However, I’m not real worried about that yet since I think they said they wouldn’t be making interview decisions till Jan.15. I’m a little worried tho since they are very selective, what is it…like only 10 people? Eh…well Good luck and keep me posted should you receive anything!