UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Overall I appreciate @Roentgen’s match lists analysis. It gives the average student a pretty good look at what the average matches are like with the data points that he does have. A more nuanced view will only be available to the actual classmates.

An important nuance for students and parents on this forum to realize is that 20% of the class gets AOA, so if you are one who believes that AOA is a big part in resident selection then you can work really hard to get AOA selection. IMO 20% is a pretty big chunk that you can aspire to be in. However, at UMKC it’s selected by a student committee (other schools it’s selected by faculty committee + student input) of current members which changes every year, so some years it’s an objective selection and others it’s blatantly people selecting their friends. Unfortunately the Councilor doesn’t do anything about the potential for bias. I’d say AOA is decently helpful though, and 20% is a pretty big portion of students who can have this “honor” on their ERAS apps.

This year we had a significant portion of unmatched applicants, higher than the national average; I won’t say the actual number publicly, but I was surprised.

But yes, you’re correct that the school has made significant changes according to student feedback. Every semester they send out an email about changes that are made from student feedback, which makes me feel better. Obviously there are still major issues that need to be addressed, but it’s a step in the right direction. I’ve observed over time that changes in senior leadership have really pushed the school forward and changed the course of the ship. Would I recommend this place to a first year? Meh, medium, too much to go into.