UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@spmo96, no you would not have to retake the year of General Bio with Labs and year of General Chem with Labs you’d be coming in with. You would get transfer credit for them. The only thing that sucks for you is that grades from those courses wouldn’t count towards your cumulative GPA or science GPA if they weren’t taken at UMKC or in the UM system.

If you do make it into the program, I would try to enroll in Cell Bio along with Anatomy in your first semester, and Organic in your second semester (since it’s no longer offered in the fall semester since only 6 year med students take it). Your summer would then be much more open.

Thanks @UMKCRoosMD‌ for the advice!

To those who messaged me – here is UMKC’s policies on transfer credit from other colleges and test credit: <a href=“Transfer Credit | Office of the Registrar | University of Missouri - Kansas City”>http://www.umkc.edu/registrar/transfer-credit/&lt;/a&gt;

Transfer credit from other colleges has no limit, just make sure courses at your college are accepted by UMKC. You can check that here: <a href=“Transferology”>Transferology;

Test credit is limited to 30 hours total.

INTERVIEW - I just got e-mail invite to interview next year at UMKC!

OSS, San Diego

Any others from nearby going to KC to interview? What hotel is nearby and good priced?

Has anyone else received an interview email???

hello everyone.

I’m a junior in high school, trying to decide whether I should apply here early decision or not. Before making any decisions, I would like to know what my chances are of getting in (as of now, i know some of my stats will change). Right now, I have a 31 ACT (but hopefully i can get that up by one or two by senior year). I have a 3.94 unweighted gpa. I am in NHS, the school paper, the debate team, the varsity soccer team, president of Africa United, and cofounder of a medical club. I did community service at Barnes Jewish Hospital, in the Alzheimer’s Association, and another hospital in Ethiopia. I have taken 5 AP classes so far, but 9 after senior year. I also have a sibling in the prpgram, and am a missouri resident. Anyway, if u could try to predict my chances of acceptance, thatd be great.

Also, I have a few other questions. Does the program superscore your ACT? What kind of scholarships does the program accept (ive heard they dont take as many as most other schools). Does the 6 year program have a different application process than the 7 year program? If you apply to the 6 year program early dexision, but are denied, and accepted to the 7 year program instead, do you still have to go?

@nidhi I’m in state and haven’t received anything! although I am guessing we will hear by this Friday based on last year’s dates

@bobwatkins, early decision has no effect on getting an acceptance to the BA/MD program, which only happens once you’ve been accepted to the undergrad, which is very easy, quite honestly.

Are some results out??

I’ve applied to the program early notification and am waiting for an interview decision; Do you all know how heavily science gpa is considered over overall gpa?

@rgupta8137, unless things have greatly changed, I don’t think the selection committee calculates a separate science GPA from high school courses bc so many people take so many different courses. The main things they get are class rank and cumulative GPA (weighted and unweighted).

Has everyone received his/her early interview notification yet?

With God’s grace and blessings of All, my daughter is offered and admission interview. Decision came in her email, yesterday at 12.30 PM (Friday, Dec.19th). 23rd, 24th, 25th and 26th Feb. was four dates from which one can able to select their interview dates. She applied before early notification date, so, she got decision. But applicants, who applied up till Nov.1, will get their decision during end of January, as per UMKC website.

I don’t think that anyone really knows how heavy UMKC weighs an applicant’s gpa, the school gives no hint in their website. All one can tell you is his gpa and if he got in, but that does not tell you that it really mattered. Besides, UMKC says they are holistic, so they must be looking at many factor! You will do well, just keep checking your e-mail.

The IMPORTANT thing is to be invited for an interview! Hope to see you all there, I will be interviewing in Feb 2015, got my e-mail from UMKC on 12/17, inviting me to interview. I am in Ca, so oos.

Who else oss will be interviewing?

@HopingMD, the actual high school GPA is not as important, since different schools have different systems. More important is class rank, as well as overall rigor of high school coursework, esp. that of science coursework. If you’re in-state the requirements are a little more lax than if you are out-of-state, since UMKC is a public state school whose goal is to train students to serve the local community as clinicians. So the interview is very much holistic that once you get to that point, it very much starts over from scratch for all intents and purposes, which is intentional. Not to mention, even if it were to somehow magically change, it doesn’t really help you much.

Roentgen - I am not sure about class standing if grades are suspect as not constant, e.g., one school grades easy while another grades tough. I only heard that UMKC is holistic, and I think grades with a high ACT/SAT tells them if a student is really smart; however, being holistic I believe that the school may pic someone with lower gpa/test scores than mine if that peraon showed a greater medical commitment. I was trying to reply to a person who was worried about his “science gpa” in an earlier comment.

@HopingMD, I agree with you. However, class rank shows how smart you are in your high school class. UMKC doesn’t do a separately calculated high school science GPA. All high schools will have varying degrees of difficulty, course offerings, hard teachers, etc. but a college can’t correct for all these confounding factors. Certain schools in Missouri are known to be difficult and put out good students and whose alumni have gone to UMKC’s BA/MD program. UMKC’s med school does choose holistically, meaning they aren’t as picky on GPA and standardized test scores, the way the more prestigious BA/MD programs are. They have to thus look at commitment to medicine based off of extracurriculars since you’re committing early on not only to medicine but also completing the entire program in 6 years.

I know it is a 10 station interview process. Please guide us more, so that we perform better at interview.

@HopingMD‌ Thanks for the info, I received an email inviting me for the interview and I believe my gpa will be okay. Does anyone know about how many students are invited for the interview? I know they select 109, but I’m not sure how large the interview pool is.

usually around 320 but it may vary I’m not sure