UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

The website (<a href=“http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/faqs/”>http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/faqs/&lt;/a&gt;), says this:

“The School of Medicine receives approximately 1000 initial applications to the B.A./M.D. program, and about 800 of these students complete the full application process. The Council on Selection will select approximately 320 students to participate in the interview process.”

“The incoming class will be 110 – 115 students, with 60-65 students admitted from the state of Missouri, 30-35 students admitted from the regional states (Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska or Oklahoma) and 10-15 students admitted from out-of-state.”

@15match, when I was interviewing for the program it was traditional interviews. Pretty straightforward.

It looks like recently UMKC has changed the format and now adopted the MMI (multiple-mini interview) when it comes to interviewing incoming medical students. You can see and read resources on how best to prepare for this:

Amazon: <a href=“http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Medical+School+Multiple+Mini+Interview”>http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Medical+School+Multiple+Mini+Interview&lt;/a&gt;

Google: <a href=“Google”>Google;

@UMKCRoosMD, That links will really help a lot! Thank you so much…Thank you very Much!

@15match, you’re welcome. I would start with Wikipedia to get a basic understanding and move on from there: <a href=“Multiple mini-interview - Wikipedia”>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_mini_interview&lt;/a&gt;. Also in the Google Search don’t miss this: <a href=“http://www.pdx.edu/careers/sites/www.pdx.edu.careers/files/MMI%20information_0.pdf”>http://www.pdx.edu/careers/sites/www.pdx.edu.careers/files/MMI%20information_0.pdf&lt;/a&gt;.

The MMI is used to try to measure non-cognitive abilities in applicants which are important in medicine as you’ll learn by the end of your 6 years that just being good at science/clinical knowledge isn’t really enough to be a practicing doctor, although it is also important.It’s not used by all medical schools though.

I’m from Kansas City and I just received my interview invitation yesterday at about 1:30, so it appears they are sending them out in waves rather than in one time block. I will be interviewing the 25, anyone else already scheduled for that day?

For those who got accepted for an interview through early decision,could you share your stats with others please.

@driven99, it isn’t “Early Decision” in the traditional meaning of college admissions. It just means you were organized enough to have all your stuff in early on by the deadline of October 15. This seems to be a new thing and means nothing in terms of stats and just means you’re notified earlier in the year in terms of getting an interview - hence the name “Early Notification Deadline”.

@UMKCRoosMD

I agree that Oct 15 completion is not really “early action;” however, anything ese is only speculation. I called and spoke to admissions last September, and they did not make things clear, I was not sure if I could make October 15, and I wanted to know if everything was the same. They never said Nov 1 is treated the same, so I got everything completed and in by the end of September! I thought from what they said that there is an advantage to be completed by Oct 15, 2015!!!

Here is what I do know - I have a Feb interview invitation. I know many others were sent. The admissions people will NOT decide how many Nov 1 people to invite until after I say “yes” or “no” to the invitation. They will not have interviewed our group yet before they invite the Nov 1 people, but they will know how many of us are going to interview! So it seems that is a lot of the Oct 15 people accept the interview invitation, then admissions will pick fewer of the Nov 1 group - probably only the top-top tier. Conversely if few accept the invitation, then more of the Nov 1 group will be invited. This must be correct, because we gt only 2 weeks to decide, the rest of the time before the Jauary invitations must be used deciding who and how many to pick from the Nov 1 group. This is th only answer that makes any sense, there clearly is a differance in how the two groups are treated, and scientific method show there must be a reason,

So if you get an invite from the Nov 1 group, get excited, you must be top-top tier.

PS to everyone - I was told by 2 UNKC med students accepted for Fall 2014 - avoid the IMM book, it makes you look mechanical, be yourself! If you try to “learn” answers or approaches, then it looks memorized and FAKE - yuk; so forget prep and just be yourself, be real. I like their suggestion, you cant learn this stuff - it is designed on purpose to catch thoe fake people and shows them as unreal. I WAS TOLD FOR UMKC INTERVIEWS, JUST RELAX AND BE YOUSEF, DO NOT GET MMI PREP STUFF, BE NATURAL! Since these are real students ho were acepted last April and know others who failed, I am takig their advice,

GOOD LUCK ONE & ALL

My stats:

ACT C: 32
English: 35
Math: 30
Reading: 35
Science: 32

GPA: 4.12/4.00 weighted
School is non-ranking

My school doesn’t offer many AP’s and the course selection is pretty rigid, but I will have taken 6 AP’s by the time I graduate.
Have Taken: AP English III, APUSH, and AP World (all 5s)
Am Taking: AP English IV, AP Biology, AP Chemistry
I have taken all but two science classes (Marine science and forensic science) that my school offers.

Extracurricular’s (as reported):
Debate/NFL

• have competed at NCFL for the last two years
    -undefeated season last year in parliamentary debate
    -Level of Distinction
    -“Power Speaker” 2013-2014
    -Chapter President
    Diversity Club
    -Co-President for the last year and this year
    Interfaith Alliance
    -Chapter Public Relations
    Fall Festival Co-Chair
    -organize one of our school’s largest fundraisers
    NHS
    Student Ambassadors/Recruitment
    Model United Nations
    Indian Classical Dance
    -graduated this past summer
    -have studied since the age of 6

Health Experiences
-Over 200 hours of volunteering at a local hospital
-Have shadowed a General Surgeon (7days), 2 different Cardiologists at different hospitals (1 day and 3 days respectively)
-Shadow at a local Diabetes Research Lab and have spent the past summer and school breaks studying protocols, investigator’s brochures and observing patient visits
-contributed to a medical care review paper, not listed as author, but the author said I could provide her information and she would verify my involvement

Personal Statement:
talked about surgery shadowing and how it got me hooked on the scientific side of medicine, and cardiology shadowing that exposed me to the social side of medicine as well as how I like UMKC’s focus on clinical exposure and commitment to service.

6 Recommendations:
All should have been great! They were from my college counselor, my debate coach, my English II and IV AP teacher, my anatomy teacher, the general surgeon I shadowed, and the physician who oversaw the review paper and manages many of the projects at the lab.

Hope this helps!
I really think that their review is genuinely holistic. They are more concerned with making sure you actually want to be a physician than numerical stats.

You already sound like a med student!

I am from CA, what state are you from?

@driven99, I think you may have misunderstood me. I was going based off of the UMKC website that talks about Early Notification Deadline (October 15th) and Application Deadline (November 1st):

<a href=“http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/timeline/”>http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/timeline/&lt;/a&gt;

Hence if you turn in everything by October 15th, according to the website, you will have the benefit of knowing whether or not you got an interview for the BA/MD program by December. It doesn’t mean you’ll get an interview just bc you turned everything in early in the season, but you just get notified earlier - hence the name. I realize you believe that only your answer as to why makes sense and that it has a “scientific method” reason behind it (whatever that means), but that may not really be the case, esp. your statement that they will only probably pick the top-tier applicants out of the Nov. 1 group. They will pick in the same proportions of in-state and out-of-state like they have in the past, with in-state being notoriously easier. The overall total number of interviews will be the same, so obviously those who accept an interview from the Oct. 15 group will be subtracted from the total number of interviews offered.

Also with regards to the MMI (not IMM) info and the resources I posted above, I think again you misunderstood my intentions. It’s helpful as a medical school applicant to know what is going on. Traditional interviews are quite different from an MMI. The point I wasn’t making is to memorize answers - that would be silly and doesn’t even work as you may not even have the exact situation stations. The point is to understand what is going on overall, what it is they are testing for overall, etc. That’s the benefit of knowing a little bit about the MMI before going in.

@HopingMD‌
I’m from Kansas City, Missouri! So I actually qualify as in-state
Do you have in interview? If so, what day are you scheduled for? I’ve registered for the 25th.

@UMKCRoosMD

I know you are an “EXPERT” and trying to help, BUT I spoke to TWO CURRENT MED STUDENTS who WERE ACCEPTED April 2014, and told me THEIR EXPERIENCES and about those who did lots of prep work and failed thier interviews.

UMKCRoosMD you never did this type of interview, they did!

I know you are trying to help, but ALL YOU POSTED IS ALREADY POSTED IN EARLIER THREADS, even the hyperlinks.

As for the “Early Action” I am sorry you got confused over scientific method - it is a form of problem solving, a way of finding possible answers. You pontificate based upon the website, very good, but I SPOKE TO THE ADMISSIONS PEOPLE AT UMKC re the difference between 10/15 and 11/1. Please do not try to make fun of me and be lofty in your vast knowledge. By the way, for the record, I( see in your many posts that you are not a med student but a graduate of UMKC medical school, and you completed residency and you are now a practacing MD. wow, you have all this time to read and comment on admissions for high school students when you have patients to heal. Amazing dedication. But, if you graduated years ago, why do you focus on current admissions when they have all changed radically since you went to school? Why not help with current things you know about like residencies? Very od to say the least. If you are an MD, cool but your knowlwdge is out-dated at best, if you are not an MD then what is going on? It all seems weird.

I may be wrong, but I do need to point out things that seem weird or unreal.

@rose8287‌

I am from San Diego, I will be there on the 22 to meet with some student docotors, but I do not interview until the 24th.

You sound very level focused - you understand UMKC’s holistic approach. I hope all your hope and dreams are reached!

@HopingMD

This will be my last response to you as you seem to interpret my posts very weirdly/oddly unlike others, after which I will be putting you on Ignore. I have not crowned myself an “expert”, and neither are you just bc you’ve made some phone calls and talked to students.

I have never denied that I am an alum of the UMKC BA/MD program. In fact my very first post on College Confidential stated this obvious fact directly - so it’s not like I’m somehow hiding this. Since you’re sleuthing though, remember your posts identifies you quite well to the Council on Selection and students on that council, who also peruse this website, as there likely aren’t many students from San Diego with a

and who in February

My original response was actually to @Driven99’s post (read what he wrote) who mentioned Early Decision, not you. I said that the Early Notification deadline is nothing like “Early Decision”. There isn’t this huge stats difference between the 2 groups, bc UMKC’s med school to begin with, is not a stats driven school. Once you get an interview, for all intents and purposes, it starts from scratch. This has been the case for traditional interviews and has been the case for the MMI, as I have had family friends who have interviewed thru UMKC thru the MMI.

Saying that if a lot of Oct 15 people choose to interview that they will probably only pick the “top-top tier” of the Nov 1 group or that “if you get an invite from the Nov 1 group, get excited, you must be top-top tier,” is pure speculation on your part and other applicants applying to the BA/MD program should know that it is only your speculation - which is it is since you are an applicant applying this year. Part of the scientific method is testing a hypothesis, analyzing and interpreting data, drawing conclusions, and retesting is none of which you have done here.

This is full of just pure speculation on your part. The reason the 2 groups are treated slightly differently is quite simple – the first group turned in their stuff much earlier and the only benefit is they know earlier when they get an interview. If you reread what I wrote you would see I was effectively agreeing with you with respect to the arithmetic.

I’m going to try to be respectful and courteous to you, even though you have not afforded the same courtesy to me. I posted the UMKC link bc you misinterpreted (not on purpose) what I was getting at. That was my only reason I did so. The other links are helpful ones I saw on the topic (maybe not to you personally), and to my knowledge haven’t been posted previously in this thread. Just bc something isn’t useful to you doesn’t mean it isn’t useful to others. I never said to memorize the answers. Those links are used by traditional premed students who apply to med schools that also do the MMI - the Multiple Mini-Interview.

Just bc you’re a physician doesn’t mean you’re all work, and don’t do anything else. Physicians don’t spend 100% of their time 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week, “healing” patients. Multitasking is not that hard and a skill that all doctors master. Now you could say, as you have implied, “Don’t you have anything better to do?” (not quoting you) , but I think helping students, many of whom have sent their essays to me for editing and who have gotten interviews isn’t a waste of time. It’s a great resource to have someone who has been thru the program, who understands what the people on the Council of Selection are looking for – and that hasn’t changed. The only thing that has changed is the method.

Best of luck to you to get a spot, and if you do get in the program, hopefully you will change for the better, bc if it’s one thing the class doesn’t appreciate too much, it’s a gunner, which will affect you greatly during Year 3 to 6.

@UMKCRoosMD

Weird, and VERY DEFENSIVE!

Hmmm, I am just a kid, age 17. You are almost 30, a graduate of Medical School and a Practicing Doctor and you get so very defensive when a kid questions you.

Hmm, are you real? You seem so very unbelievable.

Yesd, MDs do not work 100% of the time, my mom is a MD and my dad an attorney. But my mom is not doing “tips” for high school kids about med school. and she sure would not get so defwensive if a kid doubted her.

I spoke to UMKC Admissions, you replied directly to me giving some info from UMKC website telling me that I was all wrong. Weird, because you seem to know nothing other than the facts alreadu out there. If you went to med school as you said, you would know NOTHING about MMI because UMKC did not do that type interview back then! But, darn you are such an expert on such things, but alas you lack expertise on medical practice, match, residency, medical billing, medicare, etc. why? And you are a new member, but with 18 posts, all sooo knowledgable. WOW!

Oh, you are going to be respectful to me, well that is debatable, you sure tried to tell me off. Why? Why would a big grown-up MD need to set a little 17 year old kis straight? Why would it even mqatter to you? Why would a real MD need to point out he is going to be respectful - aren’t MDs trained to always be respectful and to not make a big thing out of nothing?

I am NOT a MD, I am just a kid. Your actions seem like those of a kid tooo, you sure do not act like a MD. I am sorry, but everything about you and your re-issuing of existing advice is all weird, it seems like you love the praise and staus of being so all knowing.

Weird, very weird. And very immature for a full-grown MD!

It just makes one wonder…

Good luck in your quest to “help” us kids get into med school, and in your practice of medicine, I wish you well. But, please be an adult and drop this, not need to get defensive or to respond, you are an adult MD, so please show it by saying nothing in reply : ).

I sgree, an adult, practicing MD supposedly offering all this advice, and focused on kids just sounds strange and unbelievable. But, I too am just a kid, and pethaps I am wrong, but still, I wonder.

Well this I do know if this guy is an adult and an MD then he will not respond with a word, only another kid would feel he had to respond! If UMKCRoosMD responds, then his action in responding shows he is just a kid faking everything. So only time will tell, like perhaps 4 or 5 months of silence.

@‌HopingMD

Why does it matter what your mom chooses to do? Alums from med school in the United States, BA/MD or otherwise, give advice to future applicants all the time, whether it’s online or face-to-face. Some even write books on how to get into BA/MD programs that you can find many on Amazon. There is even the Student Doctor Network: <a href=“http://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/”>http://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/&lt;/a&gt;, which is all they do is give advice. Many do this long after they’ve graduated med school. So what?

I changed my mind. I’ll let you keep responding. Just bc UMKC didn’t do the MMI then, doesn’t mean I didn’t know about it. I’ve known many people who have applied to med school traditionally and we’ve talked about what they had to do. Most people in medical education or have gone through it, know what the MMI is.

Your questioning me doesn’t make me defensive. The only reason I’m pointing out that your assumptions as to why they’re doing what they are doing is bc your speculation can affect other applicants, both in-state and out-of-state, who might actually take to heart what you say, and accept it as fact, when it may not be. They have the right to know what is speculation, what is fact, what is truth and what is untruth. You have no way of knowing that people who submitted after Oct. 15 but by the Nov. 1 deadline are only the top-top tier if they get an interview. There is no way the UMKC admissions people or anyone from the Council on Selection would tell you the thinking behind the scenes of why exactly they chose people the way they do. I know bc med students in our class can run for positions on Council on Selection.

There is nothing “weird” or “defensive” about responding to you. The reason I pointed out being respectful is bc I knew you were going to take it disrespectfully regardless – which you did. Remember, my first response was only to @Driven99, not to you. Then you’re the one who then directed your response to me (since you @ed me in your post) for some reason. Still, I calmly said you misunderstood what I was originally saying to @Driven99 and that you misunderstood my intentions. Then you went off the rails and started typing in all caps, (and I’m defensive?) and then instead of taking personal responsibility, you then hide and say it’s bc you’re just a 17 year old “kid” and you’re getting picked on? 18 year olds in this country are able to get a full driver’s license, get a credit card, fight in wars, and die in this country, and you’re just a kid?

I’m still laughing out loud at you making fun of me bc I’m a new member on CC so I must know nothing, with only 18 posts while you’re a new member who just has 12, on a forum that has only existed since 2004.

I am completely convinced @PursuitToExcel, @HopingMD, and @AdVitam are all the same person. Seems like @HopingMD or whoever he/she is, is just digging a bigger hole for himself by identifying himself.

Guys, you’re applying for a BA/MD program, you’re expected to act and be treated more like an adult, than your average 18 year old or even your 18 year old premed. If you go in with the attitude of I’m just a kid, you’ll be rejected right away. Yes, you’re not expected to have the ECs that a premed has but there is really good reason for that.

@UMKCRoosMD, don’t bother wasting your time with them. The ones with the best standardized test scores who are pompous tend to stab themselves in the foot if not now, then during med school or matching for residency. The MMI is good to catch those types early on before they waste a ton of money on going into medicine.