UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Hey @Summerlover1, I applied before the first deadline and got an interview, but I think the website says that if you applied after that and by the 2nd deadline you will hear back in the month of January, so only 11 days left to know yes or no. Hope you get an interview!

Hey guys, here are some articles I found on UMKC’s med program:
http://info.umkc.edu/unews/umkc-medical-school/

UMKC Medical School
By Morayo Morayo Bakare on October 23, 2013

The six-year medical program allows students to complete their medical degree in six years, which is two years shorter than the traditional path taken by students at other universities.

One third-year student who wishes to remain anonymous, is concerned with the medical school facilities… She said she feels the buildings are not well-maintained. In addition, they lack any significant plan to improve the conditions. Elevators are being replaced and individual unit sections are receiving repairs but she said more repairs are necessary.

She said she also believes more space would improve the condition of the building. For example, once students reach year three of the program, they receive their own offices. These offices are intended for professional use only, but students often conduct private studying within these spaces. There have been instances when offices have had to be shared among students.

“To share an office is a bit cruel,” she said. “These office spaces are the size of closets.”

She believes it is ridiculous for students to have to share office space when tuition ranges from $50,000-$150,000 per year, depending on grade level.

Gaining acceptance into the school, she believes, is fair, but once accepted, she encountered other problems.

“Admissions are not a problem,” she said. “Basic science classes are a problem.”

She said teachers who instruct the basic science courses that most students take campus wide are subpar. Classes are far too large and the focus is only on rote memorization, with no real learning involved. While there are a few basic science teachers who are welcoming and take interest in their students’ learning, some teachers are oblivious to concerns.

“I like the teachers at the medical school,” she said. “They are very personal and the class sizes are smaller.”

She admits that this is her own personal opinion of the teachers and classes, as she has asked other medical students and some prefer the large classes for the convenience of skipping class.

“One of the best qualities of this program is docent,” she said.

Docent groups allow the medical students to familiarize themselves with each other on a more personal level. In addition, students are introduced quickly to the medical field and what it entails outside of the classroom. They are in essence mini-internships spread throughout the students’ semesters in school.

She, however, said she would not trade her experience as a UMKC six-year medical student for any other.

Dylan Wyatt, first-year med student, is not as concerned about the need for renovations, but believes the elevators are frightening.

“There is a plot to make the med students healthy by making us use the stairs,” Wyatt said.

He said he is much more concerned with the admission process.

“There were many extensions from people in my grade,” Wyatt said. “They were not prepared to go into the program. I know the program is so rigorous, so it’s understandable.”

He described the process as “a bit of an academic slap in the face” and hopes there will be more support for the new students.

Wyatt. said a new problematic procedure is occurring in his medical microbiology class. Due to changes because of accreditation, students must now teach each other the class material. Instead of teachers, the students of the class form groups that rotate. Each week, an individual group presents lessons to the rest of the peers.

“Teaching each other and presenting to the classes sounds good on paper,” Wyatt said. “But it’s too huge for us because we don’t know anything. There is so much information, we just want to know what is important.”

Wyatt commented that the test average for medical microbiology dropped compared to last year’s exam. This teaching technique may be applied to the pathology class in the future.

“In my opinion, clinic is the most important,” Wyatt said.

In clinic, students interact with patients and aid doctors by diagnosing the patients and writing up the doctor notes. The level of responsibility increases as the students progress in the program. This opportunity is offered early to students in the program and, because of this immediate exposure to performing like a professional doctor, Wyatt chose UMKC’s program.

“Having four years of [clinic] instead of two in other med schools will make me that much better of a physician so I can better take care of patients,” Wyatt said.

Wyatt also appreciates the program because students are not required to take the MCAT to get into the medical school. He explains that applying to medical school and taking the MCAT are challenging and stressful.

“A lot of people want to be doctors, but the medical school slots aren’t increasing fast enough,” Wyatt said. “I don’t know if I would have been able to spend four years making my grades perfect — absolutely perfect.”

He likes the pace at which the program eases students into medical school work and that the focus is a bit less on grades and more on performance.

Wyatt said that his goal as a doctor is to constantly help the underserved communities in the nation. With the various opportunities in Kansas City, from Sojourner’s clinic to Kansas City Free Eye clinic to Truman Hospital, he always has the opportunity to serve the underrepresented in the city.

“I think it’s very important for a doctor to have the chance to look a patient in the eyes and handle this,” Wyatt said. “You have to do more than give meds. You have to consider their living situations and environment. This education puts everything in perspective.”

This is Article #2, I found: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2006/02/27/story6.html

UMKC wants cash infusion for med school
Institution ranks near the bottom in amount of state financing it receives

Feb 26, 2006, 11:00pm CST UPDATED: Feb 24, 2006, 10:04am CST

Rob Roberts
Staff Writer

The new chancellor of the University of Missouri-Kansas City is asking state lawmakers to help him increase the institution’s life sciences research capacity.

Guy Bailey took over at UMKC in January, shortly after a blue-ribbon task force on higher education in Kansas City reported a startling fact about the UMKC School of Medicine.
“Of the 74 public medical schools in the U.S.,” the report stated, “UMKC gets the lowest state appropriation, about $6 million in FY 2003.”

On Feb. 21, the medical school’s dean, Dr. Betty Drees, said: “I’m very pleased to say we’re now 72nd out of 76. We’re not dead last anymore.”

But Drees and Bailey aren’t really pleased that the state still covers only about $6 million of the medical school’s $40 million budget. And Bailey said he’s planning to let lawmakers know it.

To help UMKC increase its research capacity and play a greater role in the area’s life sciences initiative, Bailey is preparing to lobby for a $20 million state financing request that has been made by the University of Missouri System.
Erin Elliott, director of government relations for the four-campus system, said the $20 million proposal is aimed at stemming a shortage of health care professionals in the state and, therefore, should have broad political support.
Drees said the $2.4 million in the proposal that is earmarked for the UMKC medical school would have the important side effect of shaking loose more research financing.

Of the medical school’s $2.4 million, she said, about $1.5 million would be used to hire “research-intense” faculty.
UMKC’s current medical school faculty – made up almost entirely of clinicians at Truman Medical Center, Saint Luke’s Hospital and Children’s Mercy Hospital – has the school’s teaching mission well-covered, Drees said.

She said the medical school needs more faculty members primarily committed to research to attract significant outside research financing.

According to the task force report, the UMKC medical school received $4 million in National Institutes of Health grants in 2003. That was about one-ninth of the NIH financing received by the University of Kansas School of Medicine and ranked UMKC 113th among the 121 medical schools that received NIH financing.

Currently, the UMKC medical school faculty receives about $11 million a year in federal research grants, Drees said. Her goal is to increase that to $50 million within five to seven years.

To help make that happen, Drees has outlined three steps that need to be taken: identification of research focus areas, development of faculty grant-writing skills and development of additional research space on campus.
“She’s got a terrific research plan in place,” Bailey said. “It’s not pie in the sky. It’s a step-by-step program.” The General Assembly, however, must take the first step, he said.

Lawmakers can help by adopting the 2 percent budget increase that Gov. Matt Blunt has proposed for higher education, but that would generate only $1.5 million in additional financing for the entire UMKC campus, the chancellor said.

Fulfillment of the system’s $20 million request is more crucial, Bailey said, “and we need people outside the institution to let their legislators know what an important thing this is for Kansas City.”

State Sen. Charles Wheeler, D-Kansas City, said a similar request made last year fell victim to a tight budget. But Wheeler said he is more optimistic this year because “the governor has found a lot of money in that student fund.”

He was referring to Blunt’s proposal that the state sell a $2.4 billion portion of the Missouri Higher Education Loan Authority’s student-loan portfolio for $450 million.

In one plan for the proceeds that Blunt proposed recently, UMKC would receive $12 million to put toward a $15 million life sciences incubator and $3 million for a new health sciences research lab project, estimated at $12.9 million.
Wheeler said that three MOHELA bills are being debated, “so no one knows how that’s going to turn out.” But he said he would try to make sure his alma mater gets a fair shake.

A UMKC law school graduate, Wheeler said it sticks in his craw that UMKC’s medical school receives only $6 million a year in state financing while the national average for medical schools is $44 million and KU’s medical school receives $70 million.

But, to the blue-ribbon task force’s astonishment, no lawmaker has proposed closing those gaps quickly at UMKC or the University of Missouri School of Medicine, which receives about $9 million a year from the state.

“This task force is utterly astounded that a state of Missouri’s population and resources would rank at the bottom in public support for its medical schools, the institutions where excellence is rewarded with the greatest federal and philanthropic funding and where research productivity drives the greatest economic growth,” the recent report stated.

This is Article #3: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/1997/12/22/editorial1.html?page=all

UMKC should quell turf battles over med school
Editorial Dec 21, 1997, 11:00pm CST

Second opinions can be quite helpful in complex health matters. And in the academic community, dissenting views can help stretch theory into knowledge.

But disagreements between faculty and administrators of the University of Missouri-Kansas City and its medical school have turned healthy debate into a mutually destructive process.

As the Business Journal lays out in a story this week, UMKC’s School of Medicine lost its dean and is in danger of being put on probation by an accreditation board because of a glorified turf battle.

A years-old battle over whether basic science courses should be put under control of the med school or the School of Biological Sciences degenerated into a mess that has left everyone, chief among them students, losers.
It also has cost the med school’s chief teaching hospital, Truman Medical Center, grief and a couple of million dollars in charitable donations.

While it’s hard for outsiders to say who should exercise control over the basic science courses taken by med students, there are some things that seem very clear in this situation.

Instructors in the Biological Sciences school are right to protect academic freedom.

But documents obtained by the paper show that this legitimate argument covered a closed-minded attitude toward the contributions of doctors teaching in the med school.

The deposed dean of the med school, E. Ratcliffe Anderson Jr., had the right idea when he believed someone had to take charge to resolve the conflict.

But Anderson’s unilateral decision to take control of science courses was the equivalent of tossing a match into a pool of gasoline. And it apparently burned Anderson, who neither created the volatile situation nor deserved to be subjected to it. Now is the time for UMKC’s top administrators to do what they should have done long ago – stop the bickering, throw out the politics and find a way to provide a better basic education to medical students.

Further, all parties should look at the effect their battling has on Truman Medical Center. This refuge for many of the area’s poor has too vital a mission to be sidetracked by a controversy involving Anderson, who remains its executive director.

And its need for donations to aid in this mission is too great to be jeopardized by the appearance of internal turmoil.

@PinkPrincess2014 Thank you for posting these articles. I would have to say that the last two are not useful as they are so very old articles (one more than 20 years). As far as state funding goes, all state schools, not just MO schools, have had their share of budget cut. I had meeting in UMKC in 2003 and was told that UMKC had its budget cut 10%. Don’t let this as determining factor as far as attending it if accepted. First article is interesting as it was published by the UMKC med school.

@efr009, the first article was published in the UMKC university wide newspaper, called the U-News, not by the medical school. It’s probably why the first person wanted to remain anonymous. The second article from 2006 is only about 8 years old, which might seem long for some people but really isn’t that long if you think about it in terms of cash problems. The third article I agree is a little old, but I posted it bc at least it documents certain problems that have happened with the school in the past historically. What meeting did you have with UMKC in 2003, if you don’t mind me asking, if you’re applying now?

Oh, and here’s a 4th article on UMKC’s med school as well: http://www.semissourian.com/story/149903.html

Teens fresh out of high school head to UMKC med school

Tuesday, November 9, 2004
Maria Sudekum Fisher ~ The Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Mo.

When Tiffany Williams graduated from high school in 1999 she wrestled with a choice: take off across the country to prestigious Duke University or head downtown to University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Williams chose UMKC, and not because it was close to home. She chose it because at 18 and right out of high school Williams was accepted into its six-year medical program.

Now at an age when other medical students are just getting the hang of anatomy class, Williams is applying for residencies in physical medicine and rehabilitation. She graduates in May with her M.D. and a bachelor’s in liberal arts.

“I have a friend who’s 28, and he’s doing the same thing I’m doing now,” said Williams, who has sent out about a dozen applications to residency programs across the country. “He won’t graduate until he’s 30, and I’m graduating at 24.”

She said it was difficult to turn down Duke.

“It’s the whole name thing. It was hard for me to get past that and realize that this is not about the name, and that it’s about what I want to do with the rest of my life.”

The University of Missouri-Kansas City Medical School is one of about 30 medical schools in the country that takes students directly out of high school. About seven of those schools offer six-year combined degree programs. The others are seven- or eight-year programs.

The UMKC program, which was developed in 1971, gets about 600 applications for its 100 openings each year. Students from Missouri must have at least 26 on their ACT or a 1,200 SAT score, said Basma Jaffri, administrative assistant to the council on selection for the UMKC Medical School. The medical school admission test, or MCAT, isn’t required.

About 60 percent of the students are female, and 19 percent of the students drop out, she said.

Programs cut costs

UMKC is one of the only medical schools to offer a six-year combined medical degree program as its main option, said M. Brownell Anderson of the Association of American Medical Colleges. She said the six-year programs have been successful and are a good way for students to cut costs.

"In some ways [six-year programs are] going to be more important as the costs for medical school continue to increase, and medical schools are going to have to find ways to produce physicians cost effectively.

“That’s one issue, certainly, fewer years in school,” Anderson said.

But Joan Jacobson, advanced education counselor at Shawnee Mission South High School in suburban Kansas City, said it’s the rare student who fits into six-year medical school.

“It takes a certain kind of very intense, focused student because what they’re literally doing is putting eight years of med school into six,” Jacobson said. "When they ask me what I think, I say first of all, ‘What’s your hurry?’

“I have had students do the six-year program and be very successful,” Jacobson said. “But I hesitate to recommend it unless students come to me to say ‘This is my goal.’”

Henry Lin, 22, from Fort Wayne, Ind., is in his fifth year in the UMKC Medical School. His choices for college were studying communications at University of Indiana or University of Chicago or UMKC.

“I thought I’d try UMKC for a year and see how it was,” he said. “I loved it.”

Lin has spent some of his time at UMKC developing a public health program for elementary schools and hopes to pursue a combination of pediatrics and public health.

“The one bad rep we have here is that we’re not as strong in the medical science classes,” Lin said. “But we’re strong in the clinical exposure. We have been in clinics, seeing our own patients since the third year, so we get four years of clinical exposure. That’s about twice as much as other medical schools, and it’s a huge difference.”

But he said UMKC Medical School is one of the more expensive public medical schools in the country. In-state tuition is about $25,000 a year, and out-of-state is about $50,000.

In 2002, the average tuition and fees at public and private U.S. medical schools were $14,577 and $30,960, according to the American Medical Student Association.

Dr. Brenda Rogers, 40, completed the UMKC program in 1990 and now teachers internal medicine and pediatrics in the six-year program.

"One of the most rewarding things for me is that I see them as third-year students, and when they come in they’re talking about who they’re dating on Friday night and who has a really ugly dress on.

“Then the next year there’s less of that and more talk about their clinics,” she said. “As they continue through it I get to see the shift in priorities, which is so rewarding.”

Article #5 - similar to Article #4, but it seems like with some stuff added:

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/12/05/Worldandnation/Six_year_medical_stud.shtml

Six-year medical students learning in a hurry to heal

Accepted after leaving high school, these doctors in training find an accelerated education worth giving up the extras of undergraduate life.

By Associated Press
Published December 5, 2004

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - At an age when most medical students are learning to distinguish between the ligaments, muscles and bones of the back or absorbing vast amounts of anatomical data with the help of a cadaver, Tiffany Williams has already sent out a dozen applications for residencies in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Almost six years out of high school, she expects to graduate in May from the University of Missouri-Kansas City Medical School with a combined degree in medicine and liberal arts.

“I have a friend who’s 28, and he’s doing the same thing I’m doing now,” she said. “He won’t graduate until he’s 30, and I’m graduating at 24.”

After high school graduation in 1999, Williams wrestled over whether she should take off across the country to prestigious Duke University or head to the public medical school, which was closer to home and one of about 30 medical schools in the country that accept students out of high school.

It was difficult to turn down Duke.

“It’s the whole name thing,” she said. “It was hard for me to get past that and realize that this is not about the name, and that it’s about what I want to do with the rest of my life.”

She had a passion to become a doctor, but the prospect of increased competition for medical school four years down the road influenced her decision to choose UMKC, whose six-year program receives about 600 applications for its 100 openings each year. The medical school admission test, or MCAT, isn’t a requirement, but students from Missouri must score at least 26 on their ACT or have a 1,200 SAT score; 28 or higher on the ACT for students from other states.

“The odds are against people getting into medical school after four years of college. I heard a lot of stories about people who didn’t score high on the MCATs and who did well on their courses,” she said.

The University of Missouri-Kansas City Medical School is one of the more expensive ones in the country, with tuition for state residents set at about $25,000 a year, twice that for out-of-state students. By comparison, the average tuition and fees at public and private U.S. medical schools in 2002 were $14,577 and $30,960 respectively, according to the American Medical Student Association.

With the rising costs of college and medical school, six-year programs can be a good way for students to cut costs, said M. Brownell Anderson of the Association of American Medical Colleges, a physician education advocacy group.

“In some ways (six-year programs are) going to be more important as the costs for medical school continue to increase,” Anderson said, “and medical schools are going to have to find ways to produce physicians cost effectively.”

Joan Jacobson, advanced education counselor at Shawnee Mission South High School in suburban Johnson County, Kan., said the savings may be attractive, but it’s the rare 18-year-old who fits comfortably into a six-year medical program.

“It takes a certain kind of very intense, focused student because what they’re literally doing is putting eight years of med school into six,” Jacobson said. "When they ask me what I think, I say first of all, "What’s your hurry?’ "

Even though she felt mature enough at 18 to enter medical school, Williams found more challenges in the program than she expected. Short of college, she said, nothing could have prepared her for long hours of study, juggling labs and lectures and poring over armloads of reading material.

Mahauganee Shaw, 23, had dreamed of attending the UMKC medical school since eighth grade in St. Louis and thought she was mentally prepared when she entered the program in 1999.

“I was there 21/2 years,” Shaw said. “I withdrew twice, once after the completion of my full second year. And then I rescinded my withdrawal because I wasn’t completely sure.”

One semester later, she had little interest in studying human anatomy or chemistry.

Shaw, who now works in the campus life department at Dillard University in New Orleans, said a medical program is no place to decide if you want to be a doctor. “There is a certain type who can be extremely successful in that program, someone who knows from the start that medicine is where you want to be, no doubt about it.”

Five years after Henry Lin, 22, of Fort Wayne, Ind., entered the program thinking he would try it for a year, he has developed a sensitivity that he said might have been stifled in other medical programs.

“The one bad rep we have here is that we’re not as strong in the medical science classes,” Lin said. “But we’re strong in the clinical exposure. We have been in clinics, seeing our own patients since the third year, so we get four years of clinical exposure. That’s about twice as much as other medical schools, and it’s a huge difference.”

But not everyone subscribes to the belief that obtaining a medical degree and getting a jump on a career, a few years ahead of your peers, is more efficient than delaying medical school.

“Things as simple as having the time to attend a football game, or go out with friends and having summers off to travel to Tibet are things I wouldn’t have had in a six-year program,” said Sujay Kansagra, 24, a third-year medical student at Duke.

Williams’ 28-year-old friend, Aaron Horne, expects to graduate from the University of Chicago in 2006 with a combined MBA/M.D. degree, confident that an undergraduate degree in public policy and his experiences will make him a better doctor.

“I’m not saying that someone right out of high school can’t get there,” Horne said. “But I have learned so much more in how to relate to patients.”

Article #6, sorry everytime I think I’ve found everything I find another one:

http://kcur.org/post/med-school-express

Med School Express

By Kelley Weiss

Kansas City, MO – Typically when American students start medical school they’re in their mid-twenties and they have completed a degree at a four year college. But, at the University of Missouri-Kansas City Medical School students enter the program right after high school, go to school all year round and complete their training in six years, compared to the eight years it takes most doctors. Few medical schools in the country offer such a program. But, students say they have to make sacrifices, like less time spent with friends, going to football games or having a summer vacation.

Simon Khagi confidently walks into a room to take a patient history from Carolyn Gordon during clinic at Truman Medical Centers. He’s 22 and sharply dressed wearing a crisp, burgundy shirt with a trendy paisley tie under his white lab coat. On most accounts Khagi would still be an undergraduate student starting his senior year in college. Instead he’s part of UMKC’s six year medical school that takes students right out of high school and it’s one of two programs like it in the country. Khagi says the school attracts a certain type of person - mature 18-year-olds he describes as bright, type-A students.

Simon Khagi: “These programs are directed at individuals that you’re out of high school, you know what you want to do and you go and do it.”

In fact one of the defining characteristics of this program is the age of the students - they’re young. Although Khagi had the early assurance of getting an MD he says for a kid right out of high school it can be overwhelming trying to handle the endless hours of studying, armloads of medical text books and extensive tests.

Simon Khagi: “You need to be mature to handle this program, that is one thing that needs to be a pre requisite to handle this program you are coming in as kids you know my dad came here and he saw these people and he said my God they’re just children.'”

There are about 30 combined bachelor and MD programs around the country but most of them are seven or eight year programs. What makes UMKC medical school different is that students graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree and an MD in six years. Khagi says this made sense to his immigrant family, he moved to the United States from Uzbekistan, part of the former republic of the Soviet Union, when he was a child. He says it’s similar to European and Asian medical schools.

Simon Khagi: “He’s going to go into this school, he’s going to get an MD he’s going to go into residency boom, boom, boom. And that’s what made sense to them. And, I think that there are a lot of people in this school that come from that very sentiment. A lot of Indian families, Asian families.”

Asian students make up almost 40 percent of the student population at UMKC’s medical school. That’s close to twice the national average at other medical schools. Louise Arnold, associate dean of education at UMKC’s medical school, says some 100 students come to the program each year and only one in six applicants are accepted into the school. Factor in the intensity of studying medicine all year round, with only a month off, and starting the program right after high school and Arnold says from the beginning it is challenging.

Louise Arnold: “Well it is intense and certainly the program is not for everybody in some ways I think about it as getting on a merry go round and you better stay on that merry go round and you daren’t fall off.”

But, one in five students do fall off or chose to jump off the merry go round. And, withdrawing from the program can be pricey - UMKC’s medical school has one of the most expensive tuition rates for a public medical school in the country with in state tuition at $28,000 and it’s almost twice as much for out of state students.

Dr. David Wooldridge stuck with the program and now is an associate professor at the school and says it was a perfect fit for him. Students get the same curriculum, have to pass the same licensing exams and graduate with MDs but he says UMKC’s medical school is unique in getting students in contact with patients.

David Wooldridge: “With four years of a continuity clinic experience, students here see more patients over the course of their medical school careers than any student at any medical school in North America.”

Students don’t have the traditional undergraduate experience but they say it’s worth missing out on to gain the clinical experience. Although the med students at UMKC don’t go to a four year college they still go to classes - like a recent behavioral science class Khagi attended. They look like everyday college students, wearing jeans and baseball caps. Some people even see these students as a bunch of Doogie Howsers, television’s early 90s teenage doctor sitcom character.

But, Dr. Rika Maeshiro, assistant vice president in medical education for the Association of American Medical Colleges says having young students entering medicine has its benefits.

Rika Maeshiro: “This may be one of many ways or opportunities to capture and engage those students early on because the assurance of at least provisional acceptance to medical school is a very valued thing.”

Maeshiro says although this program is not for every one and she doesn’t expect a large number of medical schools to adopt the six year model at least it’s an option for the niche of students who do seek out an accelerated program.

@PinkPrincess2014 My S is the one applying to UMKC not me.

@efr009, did you attend and graduate from the UMKC 6 year BA/MD program? You said you went to a meeting in UMKC in 2003, which is why I asked.

I found this on the website of UMKC’s medical school scholarships if anyone was interested: http://med.umkc.edu/sa/finance/ext_scholarships/

@PinkPrincess2014, I went to UMKC in 2003 for a education related conference. No, I didn’t go to UMKC and I am not a doctor.

@efr009, oh, ok, I just didn’t know if you had more insight into the med program financially, thank you!

Is anyone else, who applied beyond the October deadline, still waiting to hear back? Because I am from St. Louis and have not heard anything…nerves are running high to say the least :-S

ckokafor99 i emailed them and they said we will hear back in the end of January. So maybe next week?

@ckokafor99, it would not surprise me at all if they keep giving out interviews all the way to the end of January since the website says everyone who applied by the second deadline will find out this month whether or not they got an interview - since all the interviews are in February. Hold on tight for a little bit longer - easier said than done.

Does anyone know about these other programs at UMKC’s med school:

Master of Science in Anesthesia
Master of Science Bioinformatics
Master of Medical Science Physician Assistant
Master of Health Professions Education
Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research
Graduate Certificate in Health Professions Education
Interdisciplinary PhD Program

Are these things medical students at UMKC can participate in or maybe take 1-2 years off to do them?

@JakeTheDoctor Yes that is what I am hoping! Are you from STL as well?!

No I am from Chicago.

@PinkPrincess2014,

They’ve started other degree programs at UMKC’s medical school only very recently. The Master of Science in Anesthesia is for people who want to be anesthesiologist assistants. The Master of Medical Science Physician Assistant program is for people who want to be PAs. The rest of the degrees are more research only oriented type of degrees. I have heard of med students who maybe didn’t match into residency their first year do one of these 1 year programs, in the meantime, while they apply again.

The reason, quite honestly, that they created those programs is probably to bring in more revenue to UMKC thru tuition. The LCME which accredits medical schools only allows a school to enroll a certain number of med students based on available resources, clinical faculty members, etc. at a certain institution and they can’t enroll more people just bc they want to, the way offshore Caribbean medical schools can - which you shouldn’t even think about doing, honestly.

If you decide during the med program to take a year off to do research, you will most likely want to do it at a place that is much more likely to have a very strong clinical or basic science research available.