UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

So I can’t tell you what the “good” reasons are for you to become a physician - these are very much particular to the individual although there are probably some common themes. Notice I didn’t say reasons to go into medicine, as physicians aren’t the only ones who practice medicine or healthcare – NPs do, PAs do; Dentists, Pharmacists, Optometrists, Nurses, CRNAs, Physical Therapists, etc. are all in healthcare as well. although there are differences which you can tease out in terms of scope of practice.

Here are the ones that I personally think are bad reasons, or at least not great reasons, to become a physician and particularly UMKC’s BA/MD program. I apologize in advance as @blugrn6 and @dogopril mentioned some really good ones which I’ll probably repeat.[ul]
[li]You want to practice solely as an individual– this is something that is changing at least very recently. Much of healthcare is now done as a team, vs. as an individual - i.e. a private practice physicians. A lot of private practices are being bought by major hospitals and thus physicians become employees of the hospital, and don’t get to necessarily call the shots. Also many specialties tend to be more team-based, in which you work with other physicians and midlevels to get things done, although there are exceptions.[/li][li]You want to be the one to call the shots – again, see above. A lot of medicine and healthcare in terms of calling the shots tend to be those who are business types — MBA, hospital administrators, insurance company payers, etc. Even doctors employed by hospitals have bosses over them, since they are employees of that particular hospital, so you’re limited in terms of how much you get to participate in administrative decisions that affect how you practice.[/li][li]You’ll only be happy in medicine if you get to do a certain specific specialty, which happens to be competitive – Part of the risk you have to be ok with taking, especially in entering UMKC’s 6 year BA/MD program is that you’ll be ok with the possibility of matching into a residency like Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, or Pediatrics (the latter 2 residencies which you can try to subspecialize). If you’re more aiming for fields like Radiation Oncology, Dermatology, Otolaryngology (ENT - Ear, Nose & Throat), Urology, etc. that are very specialized in nature, then you’ll have more hoops to jump thru coming from UMKC’s 6 year program. Doesn’t mean it’s completely impossible, as a select few have done it, but your journey will be more difficult in terms of what research, networking, connections opportunities are available to you here at UMKC.[/li][li]Doing it for adulation from family, relatives, family friends, or friends - main reason being it’s not a sustainable mental motivator. That temporary self-esteem boost is very sporadic and short-lived and long after that, you’ll be the one having to come to work/hospital early seeing patients, you’ll be the one being on call alone after hours at the hospital, you’ll be the one taking on any malpractice for your medical decisions, etc. It’s a career with huge sacrifices in many ways that impact your life on so many levels.[/li][li]Doing it for inherent cultural obligations or reasons - yes, there are some students who do it for cultural reasons, for example, medicine is very revered in their family, or in their parent’s home country, etc. Just from what I’ve noticed is that they tend to not be as happy, as again, it’s not a sustainable motivator, when you’re the one who has to come into work early, be on call, etc. during med school, residency, and even as an attending depending on your practice setup.[/li][li]Doing it for the money – yes, physicians make 6 figure salaries but realize that you sort of need that because the level of debt + interest will also be in the six figures, not to mention the years of education, residency/fellowship training, and putting off certain milestones that many of your friends not in medicine have already accomplished. When you add up sizable debt + interest, age, opportunity cost, etc. physicians don’t make as lavish a living, as the general public tends to believe, they end up about even, if not a little bit above even and tend to do so much later in life. There are outliers of course, but realize as you go up in education, most of us are rarely the extreme exceptions. Not to mention, to earn that salary, you have to work the much higher number of hours and/or tolerate the life disruptions that come with it to justify that salary, except for the very few specialties and subspecialties that are more on an outpatient, no emergencies after work, basis. That doesn’t matter much at 18 years, but it will matter when you get married, buy a house, start a family, etc. those life disruptions and the effect on your personal and/or family life will start to matter even with the best of paychecks.[/li][li]Layman Prestige – again, not a sustainable motivator as most patients these days don’t have the high reverence for physicians that may have been present a few decades ago or that is present in other countries, especially when it comes to listening and following doctor’s recommendations. Many patients don’t necessarily know all the healthcare people that work in a hospital to begin with, and many patients see the doctor-patient relationship as more paying for a service – i.e. a plumber, a car mechanic, etc.[/ul][/li]I think we’ve already discussed previously that doing UMKC’s 6 year program solely for the 6 year aspect and skipping the MCAT isn’t a good idea depending on what specialty you’re focused on aiming for, although can be a side benefit when you’re graduating.

So I know this question was directed at @blugrn6, but I’ll answer it as I think it touches on an important point. I think @dogopril also summed it up as well.

First, while really liking science is commendable and a good start, I don’t think it should be one of the reasons used to rationalize going to medical school to become a physician, much less one thru a BS/MD program, and to put in the very large time and money investment. There are other professions in healthcare that use science as well, not just physicians, that do quite well for themselves. That being said, I think all med students do have a little bit of “nerd” factor in them at baseline. You kind of have to have it, because you’ll be studying quite a few hours to learn and master a lot of science information at a faster than usual pace. If you don’t like science or science details at all, you’ll be utterly miserable.

I think it’s also important to understand that there is a lot as a practicing physician that you do, that isn’t science — writing and documenting, finding disposition so your patients can go home and followup, etc. So just liking science alone isn’t enough. It’s kind of ironic, because a lot of medical school education (especially the first 2 years) is mainly sitting in a classroom, taking exams, and learning science from lectures, but that’s not what clinical medicine is like. The third year of medical school (or Year 5 in the program) is much more realistic, but that’s sometimes very hard to reproduce on your own, outside of med school, unless you proactively find experiences that can do that. Also by then, figuring out in Year 5 of the program that you hate the way clinical medicine works and want to do something else, it’s kind of too late by then, since you’ve now have accrued too much debt to turn back (if you’re financially affluent, then ignore what I just said).

This is kind of what makes shadowing physicians in high school difficult. You don’t understand the thinking and thought process that goes along with medicine – taking a history, doing a physical exam, coming up on you own with a differential diagnosis list in your head, deciding to get and obtaining certain lab tests and imaging, being able to deal with uncertainty in terms of clinical decision making and possibly have it affect a patient’s outcome, managing a patient and changing plans, etc. From your standpoint of seeing someone ask questions, do a physical exam, then write prescriptions and setting up a followup appointment - it “looks” easy - see patient, ask questions, do physical, write prescription, write note, done, go see next patient - so you figure why not go to med school. This is quite different from medical school where nearly all of your rotations – Surgery, OB-Gyn, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, Pediatrics, etc. are done in inpatient hospitals. You deal with patients who are very sick have a long list of medical problems all of which interact with each other.

A lot of medical decisions that are made aren’t necessarily because the “science” supports it - a lot of medical decisions that are made aren’t clear cut, black and white, yes or no answers. They involve a lot of clincal judgement which can vary from one doctor to another. So if you’re someone that likes the decisiveness of science and how it is taught, you may not like clinical medicine, which is what most physicians do for a living.

This is what I see often in terms of thinking by high school students pursuing BS/MD programs. They are usually very high achieving in many aspects – academics, extracurriculars, etc. They especially do well in Pre-AP and AP science courses and figure that because they do so well academically and like the science, especially as it applies to humans – that the next obvious step would be to go into a career that has that interest, so healthcare. So then students figure, well why not go for broke and shoot for the top of the pyramid and become a physician because they perceive physicians to be in control of healthcare, they make a six figure salary, have enough free time, yada yada. Then they figure they can live a relatively well-to-do life, good lifestyle, family, white picket fence, everything falls into place, and we all live happily ever after. This perception can very appealing, but what students don’t see is all the many life sacrifices you make and even then, you might not get all of the above. Often times, the unhappiest are the people whose expectations of being a physician didn’t match with the reality of it as they were going thru med school. That’s something you should try to avoid. If you feel like a certain part of the reality isn’t something you’re comfortable with — i.e. being on call or on pager at home, etc. then medicine isn’t for you. There is no point in hanging on to an idealized version of what you perceive med school or medicine to be like, just based on a high school Anatomy class, for example.

@Roentgen I saw that you talked about specialties for UMKC. I’m mainly interested in anesthesia right now. Is that something that I focus on during residency or is it something that’s taught during the 6 years at UMKC? I am just wondering so that I can get the best sense of what to do in terms of being taught that right things.

@Regginald,

That’s something you mainly focus on during residency training. At UMKC, Anesthesiology is not a part of any of the required med student clerkships you do: Pediatrics, Internal Medicine (called Docent Rotation, or “DoRo”), Psychiatry, Family Medicine, OB-Gyn, or Surgery. There are some medical schools that do incorporate some Anesthesiology (like 1-2 weeks) as part of the required Surgery clerkship, but that’s definitely not a rule, by any means:http://www.upstate.edu/surgery/education/clerkship.php

Specialties that are outside of the required clerkships, can be taken as 1 month long electives either at UMKC or at other medical school institutions. UMKC does have an Anesthesiology department available and Anesthesiology electives (as does any medical school with an Anesthesiology department).

In medical school, you’ll be busy enough studying for class exams, studying for boards, aiming to do well on required rotations, that you don’t really need to concentrate on a specific residency specialty, with respect to what you need to be taught about it in med school. The only time you might want to think about this, in terms of specialty selection, is in doing research for a residency specialty that is relatively competitive for your eventual application: Plastics, Radiation Oncology, Derm, ENT, Ophtho, etc. But you don’t need to learn the nuts and bolts of your specialty field during medical school, since that is what residency training is for.

I’m a rising senior (out of state) looking to apply to the B.A. / M.D. program at UMKC
and was wondering if you can judge my stats and tell me if I would be able to get in and qualify for a future interview

Scores/GPA:

-GPA: 3.8/ 4.18
-ACT score: 34
-AP bio: 3 /chemistry: 4/ chinese: 5

• sat II bio 730/ chemistry 750/ math 790

Classes:

-Honors English 10.11.12
-Honors History 10
-Honors physics 11
-AP chemistry 11
-AP calculus 12
-AP physics 12
-AP history 11
-AP comparative gov 12
-AP bio 12

Community Service:

Cambodia volunteer work (120hr)
International Olympiad of Informatics in Taipei Student Guide (110hr)
Volunteer in remote mountain elementary school (treasurer) (96hrs).
Volunteer at Mackay Memorial hospital Medical Camp (20hr)
held a fair for children with illness (9hrs)

interns:

internship at clinic (60hr)
internship at laboratory (gene therapy)(summer and winter vaca for 2 years )
Doctor shadowing in a primary clinic (3 weeks)

Clubs/Activities/Sports:

MUN
Global leadership Organization president
Make a Wish club (World Vision)(fund raiser 500 USD)
CSI club (community service) (fund raiser up to 10000 USD)
Fuhsing Bilingual Island (school magazine editor)
3886m altitude snow mountain climbing in junior year
Fu Jen Catholic University Medical Camp (96hr)
baking club
math assistant/ PE assistant
class president/School council student representative

Honors:

Poetry slam 2nd place
Certified Emergency CPR recognition
2nd 50m swimming/ 1st 50m swimming / 1st 100m swimming

Extra Information:

I spent four years abroad in England
have a PHD medical researcher writing a recommendation

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK and hopefully tell me my chances of getting in to the program. Thanks!

@jasmsu, so what is your high school class rank exactly? I’m assuming that the 3.8 is an unweighted GPA and the 4.18 is a weighted GPA with Accelerated/Pre-AP/Honors/AP classes worth 5 grade points for an A, 4 grade points for B, etc. By OOS, I’m assuming you don’t qualify to be classified as a regional student.

Your ACT score is excellent. Just to let you know, your SAT II scores won’t factor in at all for UMKC’s BA/MD program. UMKC only asks for the SAT and ACT. In looking at your CV overall, I think you should be fine in terms of receiving an interview for the BA/MD program, assuming your class rank is good as well. The OOS pool tends to be much more selective, in terms of getting the initial interview.

The interviews I believe are now in the MMI format, vs. the traditional interview format like it used to be, but I think @dogopril or @blugrn6, will be able to give more info on this.

@Roentgen Thanks a lot!! I 'm not so sure about my grade points for the Honours classes at my school but I know that my skl does not have a ranking system. (does that affect anything?!)

@jasmsu, I guess what I meant was that accelerated/Pre-AP/Honors/AP classes, are weighted extra compared to regular-level classes, meaning they’re given extra grade points beyond the usual 4.0 grade points for an A, since you have an overall 4.18 GPA. I believe the UMKC application asks for both a “weighted” and “unweighted” GPA.

So your school doesn’t rank at all? Not even like top 10%, top 15%, etc.? I don’t think it should matter greatly. It obviously can’t be used against you, since ranking policy is up to your high school, but if there is no indication of where you fall in your class, than they may look a little closer at course grades, especially in science classes.

Thought I would post up the UMKC BA/MD Online Supplemental Application for the 2015-2016 application cycle which is now up online. The essays have changed a little bit: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/apply/.

UMKC School of Medicine B.A./M.D. Program

Thank you for your interest in the UMKC School of Medicine B.A./M.D. program. We are thrilled that you are considering UMKC as an option for your medical education.

Students admitted to the UMKC B.A./M.D. program have the opportunity to earn the Baccalaureate and Doctor of Medicine degrees through a six-year (48 weeks a year) combined program offered by the College of Arts & Sciences, the School of Biological Sciences and the School of Medicine. The combined nature of the program allows you to become a competent physician through a vibrant and innovative medical education, while also providing a liberal arts education to prepare you for great responsibility and social awareness for the community in which you live. This philosophy allows you to spend six years in an integrated program that blends the humanities and arts with the discipline of medicine.

As a UMKC medical student, you can be confident that you will receive a strong foundation in medicine by developing the core competencies we believe are essential for practicing medicine: further development of interpersonal and communication skills; cultivation of professional behavior, including moral reasoning and ethical judgment; expansion of medical knowledge to apply both basic and clinical science; utilization of practice-based learning, to diagnose, manage, prevent and provide continuing care, as well as develop further skills in self-reflection and self-improvement; and employ systems-based practice to actively incorporate psychological, social, cultural and economic factors in the practice of medicine.

The UMKC School of Medicine, along with the schools of dentistry, pharmacy and nursing, is located on our Hospital Hill campus in downtown Kansas City. By joining the UMKC School of Medicine, you will become a member of the greater Kansas City community and enjoy the benefits it has to offer – great cultural events, concerts, food, sports teams, shopping and nightlife. Additionally, Kansas City has been recognized by Forbes magazine as one of America’s best downtowns for its entertainment attractions, rich culture of arts and amazing cuisine.

The UMKC School of Medicine is committed to advancing the health of our community, and we are delighted that you are beginning the application process. We look forward to receiving your application and considering you for admission to our B.A./M.D. program.

For more information about the B.A./M.D. program, please go to www.med.umkc.edu/admissions.

==========================================================================

Personal Info

First time applying
Re-applying

Name - Please use sentence case when entering your name:
First Name:

Middle Name:

Last Name:

Preferred Name:

Email:

Date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy):

Place of birth:
City:
State:
County:

Current legal address
(Please avoid using P.O. boxes if possible)

Number and street:

City:

State/Province:
Postal Code:

Home Phone: () -

Cell Phone: () -

Current mailing address
(Please avoid using P.O. boxes if possible)

Number and street:

City:

State/Province:
Postal Code:

Home Phone: () -

Cell Phone: () -

Are you a Missouri resident? Yes No
How long have you been a Missouri resident?
Years:
Months:
County:

Are you a U.S. citizen? Yes No
Country of citizenship:

If resident alien, card number:
Date of issue:

What is the highest level of formal education obtained by your parents? (Mark with an “X” in the appropriate space.)

Father:
Grade school or less

Some high school

High school graduate

Some college

College degree

Post-graduate

Mother:
Grade school or less

Some high school

High school graduate

Some college

College degree

Post-graduate

Father’s name:
Father’s Occupation:

Mother’s name:
Mother’s Occupation:

Number of sisters:
Ages:

Number of brothers:
Ages:

How did you find out about the UMKC School of Medicine? Please check as many as apply:
Brochure
Medical students at UMKC
Family physicians
Internet
High school counselors
Students at other medical schools
UMKC Medical School alumni
Family friend
Family member was/is in program (sibling, cousin, parent, etc.)

==========================================================================

Program Information

Non-Missouri residents are only eligible to apply to the six-year B.A./M.D. Program. Please indicate “Six-Year B.A./M.D. Program Only” when selecting the program consideration option below.

Missouri residents have the option of applying to the following programs:

Six-year B.A./M.D. Program

The six-year B.A./M.D. program allows a student to enter medical school directly out of high school or immediately after completing the first year of college. Students who enter this program will complete the baccalaureate and medical degrees in six years, and will pursue baccalaureate degrees in Liberal Arts, Chemistry or Biology (major selection is dependent on number of courses transferrable from high school – AP, IB, dual enrollment, etc.).

Guaranteed Admission Baccalaureate/M.D. Program

The Guaranteed Admission Baccalaureate/M.D. program allows a student to spend one year as a UMKC undergraduate student before entering the School of Medicine, thus allowing for the completion of the baccalaureate and medical degrees in seven years rather than six. Students who enter this program pursue undergraduate degrees in Chemistry or Biology. During the first year of the program, students are enrolled as UMKC undergraduate students, not medical students, and receive academic advising from the chemistry or biology academic advisor. At the end of the first year, students in this program who meet the academic requirements are guaranteed admission to the School of Medicine B.A./M.D. program for the second year. This program is ideal for candidates who would like a transition year between high school and medical school, or for those students who would like to complete an undergraduate degree in Biology or Chemistry but may not have enough transferrable credit (AP, IB, dual enrollment) from high school.

Please select which program(s) you would like to be considered for. Please note: Selecting consideration for both programs DOES NOT increase your chances of being offered admission to either program. This information is not used in the decision-making process, but is used after admission decisions have been made for the purposes of program placement. Please only indicate the program(s) you are seriously interested in being considered for.

Please indicate which program you would like to be considered for:
*Six-Year B.A./M.D. Program Only
*Guaranteed Admission Baccalaureate/M.D. Program Only
*Six-Year B.A./M.D. Program OR Guaranteed Admission Baccalaureate/M.D. Program

By indicating my choice(s) above, I understand that my selection of one program or both program options does not increase or decrease my chances of being offered admission, and I have selected the option(s) that I am seriously interested in receiving consideration for.

Signature:

Education Information

High school type: Public/Private
High school name:
Year of graduation:

High school city:
High school State:

High school phone number:

Are you currently enrolled as a freshman in college? Yes No
Please list the institution where you are enrolled as a college freshman:

====================================================================

Statement of Student Responsibility

I understand, as an applicant to the UMKC School of Medicine B.A./M.D. program, that it is my responsibility to verify that my application is complete by the appropriate deadlines. I am responsible for verifying that the School of Medicine has received all application materials necessary to complete my application, including the following: the general application for admission to UMKC; the School of Medicine Online Supplemental Application, including personal statement, high school/college activities and leadership, and health experiences; my high school transcript; my standardized test score; and at least three references provided on the official UMKC School of Medicine online reference form. I understand that my application will remain incomplete until all of the above-mentioned materials have been received.

Date:
Signature:

Technical Standards

Because of our obligation to ensure that patients receive the best medical care possible, certain abilities are required of our students. All students of medicine must possess those intellectual, emotional and physical capabilities which are necessary to participate fully in the curriculum and which are essential to achieve the levels of competence required by the faculty.

Candidates for the medical degree must be able to observe and perform a variety of procedures. Intact sensory and motor functioning is required for accurate observation and the competent performance of procedures. Candidates must be able to observe and evaluate a patient accurately, at a distance and close at hand. This necessitates the functional use of the senses of vision, hearing, touch and sometimes smell. A candidate must be able to communicate effectively, to hear and to observe patients in order to elicit information, describe changes in mood, activity and posture, and perceive nonverbal communications. The candidate must be able to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Candidates must have sufficient motor function to elicit information from patients by palpitation, auscultation, percussion and other diagnostic maneuvers.

Problem solving is a critical cognitive skill demanded of physicians, and it requires the intellectual abilities of measurement, calculation, reasoning, analysis and synthesis. In addition to these skills, a candidate must possess the high moral and ethical standards demanded of physicians and the emotional health required for full utilization of his or her intellectual abilities, the exercise of good judgment, the prompt completion of all responsibilities attendant to the diagnosis and care of patients, and the development of mature, sensitive and effective relationships with patients.

Because of the above essential functions, the School of Medicine strongly discourages the use of surrogates to perform these functions as a reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. While each application is reviewed individually, it is necessary that each degree candidate himself or herself be able to observe and perform each task required by the curriculum of the school. Similarly, the school does not consider the waiver of required examinations a reasonable accommodation for individuals with learning disabilities. Learning-disabled students, when appropriate,* may be granted additional time on required examinations, be examined in separate testing facilities or accommodated in other reasonable ways, but they will not be exempted from the requirement to take and pass such examinations.

The University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine has a standing committee to review qualified applicants who are unable to meet the technical standards for admission as stated above. The entire application file will be formally reviewed by this standing committee of the Council on Selection in consultation with the UMKC Office of Disabled Student Services.

*Contact the UMKC Office of Disabled Student Services for information regarding definition and documentation of learning disabilities.

I have read and understand the above technical standards, and I hereby certify that I believe that I am able to meet these standards if I become a medical student at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine.

Select One: Yes No
Date:
Signature:

Personal Statement

[ul]
[]What motivates you to pursue a career in medicine?
[
]What attracted you to the UMKC six-year medical program versus a more traditional eight-year program?
[li]What would you like the UMKC School of Medicine to know about you that isn’t available in other parts of this application?[/ul][/li]500 word count limit

Additional short answer responses

250 word count limit each

The short answer section is an additional opportunity for the admissions committee to learn more about you. Please respond to two questions, selecting the prompt you prefer for each short answer question.

Prompt #1:
Describe an experience in which you interacted with someone who was different than you. What did you learn from the experience?

OR

Have you experienced any hardships or challenges that may have influenced your education or career goals?

Prompt #2:
How do social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat or Instagram influence the practice of medicine?

OR

There are over 40 million uninsured individuals in the United States. Discuss one solution for addressing the health care needs of these individuals.

High School/College Activities and Leadership

UMKC School of Medicine Council on Selection reviews your high school/college activities to better understand you and your involvement and leadership in activities outside of the classroom. Please provide a detailed description of your involvement with school sponsored clubs and organizations; community related activities; volunteer experience and/or community service; and work experience. For each activity, please provide the dates of participation and the hours per week you devoted to the activity. Please also provide a detailed description of the activity/organization and your specific involvement with the activity. Please type your responses in the space provided below. You are limited to 10 activities, so please select those activities that you feel best represent your involvement and leadership. Please do not list health experiences in this section, as those experiences should be entered in the health experiences section of the application. (For current college students, please list both high school and college activities if applicable.)

Name of activity (please do not use acronyms):
Leadership Position Held:
Estimated total hours devoted to activity (if applicable):
Start Date:
End Date:
Description of activity/organization and your specific involvement with the activity/organization (200 word count limit):

Health Experiences

The UMKC School of Medicine Council on Selection reviews your health experiences to better understand your involvement with health-related activities and your investigation of the medical profession. Please provide a detailed description of your involvement with health-related activities including clubs and organizations; volunteer or work experience in a hospital, doctor’s office, nursing home, or other health-related facility; shadowing experience (includes shadowing of any health-care professional); participation in structured or formal health-related programs; medical or health-related research; and other health-related experiences that may contribute to your interest in medicine. For each activity, please provide the dates of participation and the hours per week you devoted to the activity. Please also provide a detailed description of the activity/organization and your specific involvement with the activity.

Please do not list experiences in this section that you have already listed in the High School/College Activities section. Please type your responses in the space provided below. You are limited to 10 activities, so please select those activities that you feel best represent your commitment to healthcare. (For current college students, please list both high school and college activities.)

Name of activity (please do not use acronyms):
Type of activity:[ul]
[]School related
[
]Work experience
[]Structured/Formal program
[
]Other health experience
[]Volunteer experience
[
]Shadowing
[li]Research[/ul][/li]Estimated total hours devoted to activity (if applicable):
Start Date:
End Date:
Description of activity/organization and your specific involvement with the activity/organization (500 word count limit):

Recommendation Provider

Please list the names and contact information for 3-6 people who will be submitting reference forms on your behalf. Reference forms should be submitted electronically by teachers, counselors, school administrators or others who can speak to your academic ability and personal character. Reference forms should not be submitted by family members or friends. Those providing the reference must submit a fully complete online School of Medicine reference form. Letters of recommendation will not be accepted in place of or in addition to the online School of Medicine reference form. Reference forms will not be accepted by email or mail, but must be submitted online.

To send the reference form to the recommendation providers listed below, please click “Send Email Request” next to each recommendation provider. Email Requests must be sent before submitting application.

First Name:
Last Name:
Title:
University or Company:
Phone:
Email:
Confirm Email:
Relationship to you:

Certification and Submission

Thank you for your interest in The University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine. If you are satisfied with your responses to our supplementary questions, we are ready to receive and review your entire application. Once you submit this application, you will be unable to make any further changes.

I certify that the information in this application and associated materials is current, complete and accurate to the best of your knowledge.

Hey guys hoping to find out how competitive I am for this program
Stats:
Unweighted GPA: 3.84
AP Classes(Score in parentheses if taken): Calculus AB (1 won’t send), Chemistry (3) , Biology, Physics 1, Government(4), Psychology, World History
ACT: 32 Composite
35 English
27 Math
34 Reading
30 Science
ECs:
NHS
Track & Field
Diversity Club
Science Olympiad State Medalist
400+ hours community service hospital
25 hours of job shadowing a neurologist at hospital
Race: Indian/Asian

Note: Brother is currently in the program as a 4th year so I don’t know if that will help me or anything
Do you guys think I have a good chance?

@watang, I think you do have a good chance of receiving an interview, especially as an in-state student. UMKC does not look at AP/IB/CLEP scores when it comes to consideration for interview or for acceptance. If you look at the online application from this year, posted by @bladerz1, testing credit scores are not even asked for on the application anymore. They don’t even ask for the score report, in terms of admissions, just for that of the ACT or SAT. The only things I could possibly see as hurting you, are your Math ACT score (although your total ACT does make up for it) and your class ranking, although you are still in the Top 10% of your class.

I think having a sibling can only help, in proving that you know what you’re getting into by doing an accelerated combined program over the traditional route, but I don’t think it will swing things either way. I’ve seen people’s younger siblings get accepted into the program, and I’ve seen younger siblings not get accepted into the program.

Just as an FYI, if you do get into the BA/MD program, since Fall 2012 at UMKC, a “3” is no longer an acceptable score on the AP Chemistry test to get credit for any of the General Chemistry sequence. http://www.umkc.edu/registrar/transfer-credit/#anchor-2. A “4” will give you credit for General Chem I + Lab only, and a “5” will give you a credit for General Chemistry I & II + both Labs. So you might consider retaking the AP Chem test this year to get either a “4” or a “5”.

I go to a really competitive school so thats why my class rank isn’t incredibly high. I’m retaking the ACT in September and am hoping I can raise my ACT math score and composite score

Also how much do you think living in KCMO will affect me? I’ve been to numerous events at UMKC and I’ve also met with the dean before

@Watang, I don’t think living in KC, specifically, will affect you much, much less meeting with the new dean, who usually isn’t heavily involved in terms of student recruitment. That more falls under the auspices of the Council on Selection. In-state is in-state, whether it’s KC or St. Louis, Springfield, Joplin, Chillicothe, or any of the myriad of rural towns in Missouri. That being said, I think because you’re in close proximity, you can go to the BA/MD information sessions and campus visits: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/visits/, to at least show that you’re very much interested and dedicated to attending this program. So I would go to as many as you’re allowed to go to, and that are feasible for you.

Any tips on the essay?

@watang,

According to what was posted above by @bladerz1, you are word count limited anyways – 500 for personal statement, 250 each for the other two. Very reasonable. Use good grammar, spelling and sentence structure, separate but cohesive paragraph(s). No tricks here. They’re not looking for specific buzzwords.

Personal Statement is pretty straightforward. Obviously why medicine, but more importantly, why are you choosing to put yourself through an accelerated combined BS/MD program, especially the one at UMKC, which hopefully you’ve researched and can talk about aspects that appeal to you. In terms of total numbers, most medical students in the United States are not combined BS/MD students, much less those which accelerate the process to 6 years. Including that you’re really scared of the MCAT, or that you don’t know if you would actually make it thru the traditional process, which over 98% of med students go thru, so you want to skip over it, is probably not a good idea to include, because the rationale is if you think the traditional med school application process is way too scary, the residency application process will make it seem like a cakewalk in comparison. One thing I would not include is wanting to come to UMKC to do or take part in medical research. UMKC is very weak in terms of overall research foundation and support, even in 2015, and that includes clinical research, especially in many of the specialist fields. Research is just not UMKC’s strength. I think it’s ok to include that research spurred your interest towards going for medicine, but don’t list it as a reason to want to come here. It will be seen as a mismatch in terms of fit, which it definitely would be as different med schools have different mission statements for a reason.

In terms of the short answer questions, it doesn’t really matter which prompt you choose as long as you’re able to write comfortably and strongly about each one. I think that social media platforms question is pretty weird (just my opinion). I think someone who answers the 40 million question and does their research to answer it would really jump out at me as someone who really understands how things are. It’s a perfectly valid question since healthcare has been in the news since 2009 regarding our healthcare system, how services are/will be reimbursed in the future, our federal budget, medical economics, etc.

@Roentgen Hey, I was wondering what the full 6 years at UMKC look like, because from what I can see it seems that it would take longer than 8 years of conventional schooling to graduate medical school. I mean in terms of academics, because they say they follow the UMKC medical school curriculum and say that during the medical school part that it’s 11 months. I am curious if you know the total time that it would take to complete the 6 years, and if possible compare it to a conventional 8 years of school. Thank you.

@Regginald,

I’m a little bit confused by what you’re asking. So in the normal traditional process, you do 4 years of undergrad majoring in whatever you wish to major in (it can be science or non-science) and get a bachelor’s degree — you also take the premed prerequisites, take the MCAT, shadow, get involved in extracurriculars both at school and in healthcare, maybe do research, etc. etc., then you do 4 years of medical school, after being accepted when you apply thru the normal med school application process (called AMCAS - which is short for “American Medical College Application Service”). This is why you’ll hear the traditional pathway sometimes called “4 + 4” = 4 years of undergrad + 4 years of medical school.

UMKC effectively shortens the undergraduate portion to 2 years, to have it fit into 6 years, which you then receive both your Bachelor and MD degrees. They do this by a) no summers off thru out the entire 6 years and b) removal of several premed prerequisites such as General Bio I & II + Labs, General Physics I & II + Labs, Organic Chemistry is shortened to a one-semester survey course specifically for UMKC BA/MD students (but that wouldn’t fulfill the usual Organic Chem I & II + Labs requirement if you were applying in the traditional route).

You can see the curriculum for the 6 year BA/MD program here: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/curriculum/ as well as here: http://www.umkc.edu/majormaps/maps/2015-2016/SOM_BLA_MD_2015_2016.pdf (this one is if you decided to do the Bachelor of Liberal Arts).

In the last 3 years of the program (Year 4, 5, 6), requirements tend to run more on a monthly rotation basis (usually in increments of 1 month or 2 months), vs. on a semester basis, so you get about 1 month total of vacation in a year, which is where you may have heard or read about the medical school part of the curriculum being 11 months each year.

Hope this answers your question.