UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@Watang, they’ll tell you your results on the Toledo, if you were to get off the waitlist in the days after May 2nd, so that you have enough time to sign up for General Chem classes in the summer semester that usually starts in June at most places. Since it’s only used after getting into the BA/MD program and not whether you get an acceptance or not, it’s probably a little bit on the back burner in terms of priority, since they and students have so many other tasks to complete first that are time-sensitive.

I mean I’m sure they’d tell you your Toledo score, if you asked, for your own edification. If you were waitlisted or denied, they’ll also give you interview feedback or provide recommendations for reapplication, if the person was still interested in doing so.

Has anybody accepted the offer of admission?

I accepted about two days ago. Now I’m just focusing on the other tasks involved in this process. Do we also need to send an email to the SOM confirming our acceptance, or do we just use the portal? The wording was a bit confusing.

I do not think we have to send an email to the SOM confirming our acceptance. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to do it though. Have you tried to submit anything besides the Student Profile yet?

Thanks @slimybananas420 , and I haven’t submitted the Student Profile yet (still need to gather more info on degree plans). I think I’ll speak to my ETC sometime this week and get started with the rest of the pre-matriculation process.

To those asking me about the UMKC BA/MD application for this coming cycle 2016-2017, please read here:

http://med.umkc.edu/admissions/
“The Final Application Deadline for the fall 2016 class was November 2, 2015. At this time, all admission decisions for the fall 2016 class have been communicated electronically. Applicants that have been offered admission to the School of Medicine have until May 2, 2016 to make a decision. Offers of admission to alternate students will be ongoing until the desired class size is reached. The application for fall 2017 will be available in August.”

In the meantime, you can look at prior applications as posted by @bladerz1, from past cycles, but check back on the UMKC BA/MD website in the month of August.

2014-2015:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18620974/#Comment_18620974 —> Start here
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18620976/#Comment_18620976
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18620977/#Comment_18620977

2015-2016:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18737712/#Comment_18737712 —> Start here
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18737716/#Comment_18737716
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18737719/#Comment_18737719

@Roentgen, @blugrn6

Thank you for posting program statistics on those who who make it thru program on previous page. Those are very helpful to look at. Is there a way for someone who enters the BA/MD progam to figure out during that time whether becoming a physician is for them? Things just seem to be going so fast in the program, with all these decisions to make while there, just wondering if there was some way to figure things out, adjust at least in the first year or to figure out whether UMKC is the right medical school to be going to.

Also about the lack of beginning science classes that most everyone takes, can you take more science classes if you come in with enough credit? Son has taken AP science classes so wondering if he’ll be adequately prepared coming in.

Hi @sapuos!! Congrats!! I’m a junior who wants to apply to UMKC next year and was wondering what your stats are, just to see if I would be a good candidate

Has anyone accepted their offer of admission yet? If you have, did you sign up for an orientation date and are you going to the admitted students’ reception?

I’ve accepted, haven’t decided on an orientation date, although I’m leaning towards June 10th. And I most likely go to the KC admitted students’ reception. @KShah16

@slimybananas420 I’ve declined my offer so that should free up another spot for someone!

@mkelley, if you don’t mind saying, are you in-state, regional, or out-of-state? Congrats on Brown PLME!

@Roentgen Thanks !!! I’m from the out of state pool :slight_smile:

@NervousDad01,

I will say this, and I’ve discussed this with former classmates, but the 6 year program isn’t the type of Bachelor/MD program that allows you to backtrack very easily, in terms of veering towards other professions, or even towards going the traditional route, without having to make up credit hours or lost time. It’s not really a program to “try out” in terms of figuring things out. One reason is that you’re very restricted in terms of the undergraduate classes you’re allowed to take. Another reason is that a lot of the traditional “premed” science requirements are taken out of the combined program, and you are credit hour limited (since the MED classes you take in the first 2 years count towards that limit, even though they are Pass/Fail classes). It’s quite different from other combined programs (where you are truly an undergraduate student for all 3-4 years), and even other 6 year programs, which still have you complete those undergraduate requirements, although in 2 years - so even if you were to leave that program, you still have the hours completed in hand which you can transfer to any undergraduate institution.

That can be trouble when as a high schooler, you know you want to do a healthcare profession, but you’re not 150% sure if going thru the journey of becoming a physician is the right one (and it really is a journey in many ways, not trying to be cliché at all here). I think a good argument can be made that most high schoolers, even the most high-achieving and accomplished, don’t really have a realistic view of what becoming a physician and what the life of a physician NOW truly entails, based on their shadowing experiences, or whatever experiences they did have were very skewed. I do also think there is some personal guilt involved - students don’t want to admit, after experiencing it, that they don’t really like or are very uncomfortable being around and working with very sick or unhealthy people who aren’t at their best or those who are very close to dying (since all of us will be in both positions at sometime in our lives).

So back when I was in the program, it was the 6 year program only. There was no official 7 year track available that could be started in your first year. The only way was if you voluntarily extended - and you still had to pay School of Medicine rate tuition during that year, so it was not even worth it, financially. It was pretty much your responsibility to fit all the undergraduate requirements for your particular Bachelor’s degree (it still is) in the program in the semesters allowed, which we all did either thru AP/IB/CLEP credit or thru transfer credit.

It looks like recently, they have created what is called the Guaranteed Admissions Program: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/opportunities/. I don’t know how long this specific variant has been in place. According to the website, they limit it to 10 people, and it looks like only in-state students are allowed to choose this track, which I honestly don’t understand why, as I’m sure it would be just as beneficial for regional/out-of-state students. I would ask the admissions office if it’s possible to not be in-state and still take advantage of this program. In that year, you can acclimate well to college life, study well for undergraduate courses with good undergraduate advising, and if necessary, figure out whether the UMKC med school is truly right for you, while still retaining your acceptance in the program. UMKC has a pre-med society on the Volker campus in which you can meet other premeds, quite a few of whom will be seniors, as well as experienced undergraduate faculty advisors on the main Volker campus who are very honest about their opinions of the UMKC medical school and the combined program. I imagine you could also talk with UMKC senior medical students during that time as well. At the end of that year, you would have completed quite a few credit hours which are directly applicable to the combined program if you decided to continue, the traditional route (all those classes would be transferrable if you went to another university), or another career path, with no time lost.

If you’re not allowed to do the Guaranteed Admissions Program, I would say you have about 1 year w/in the 6 year program (so end of Spring), after which if you leave, you’d probably have to make up credit hours/semesters, in come way.

@NervousDad01 the program does move fast as expected because it’s only 6 yrs. As others have mentioned, the school has really tried to combat program attrition over the years and as @Roentgen mentioned, it is working and the numbers are down significantly from a few years ago even. They have really added support for students and especially for the “problem” courses in the program.

Your son is in a great position to have the opportunity to choose between multiple combined programs so best of luck with making that decision.

So I came across this today on studentdoctor and decided to share as it might be helpful for those who are applying in the future. http://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/threads/2016-umkc-ba-md-program-results.1190311/

I used them myself a few years back when I was applying and was blown away to read that 40% of this year’s admitted applicants from the UMKC program’s out of state pool had worked had relied on admissions prep.

I am by no way advocating or suggesting that you need admissions prep in order to be successful for the UMKC program, but this statistic just struck me as to how competitive the program (and process) really is these days!

@UMKCPanda,

Just to be fair, that thread is in an Exhibition Forum (Advisor Prep Education Services paid money to SDN for advertising their business, as do other companies in that forum: http://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/forums/admissions-prep.841/). Assuming they are correct on their 40% statistic, I have to wonder how they know the exact number of spots UMKC has given for OOS students in this year’s class, in order to make that calculation. Like you said, probably nowhere close to being a requirement, seems more just indicative of the educational arms race that always comes about in an attempt to get an edge. Most of the competition just comes about because you just have more students applying for college these days, and thus applying for programs.

@UMKCPanda Wow how much does this admissions prep program cost?

Well the “MMI bootcamp” is $799 – https://www.apetest.org/us/product/mmi-boot-camp/. Not including flying and staying in New Hampshire. A little ironic that one of their student reviewers who got into UMKC posted on the same day as their release.

@Roentgen So considering they said 6 people got in out of state using this prep, 29 people were regional or in-state. Wow