UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

I’m trying my best to not be bitter about my waitlist, but when I see things like this it just makes me disappointed. Like sorry my parents aren’t rich enough to send me to an admissions prep program

@Watang, yeah, who knew with UMKC switching over to the MMI, it would be such a money maker for test prep companies? Doesn’t necessarily mean it was actually helpful that you couldn’t get from other resources – websites, books, CDs/DVDs, etc. It’s essentially paid simulation. Might be helpful if you’re a more nervous than average applicant, but the benefit is probably more psychological and familiarity (I could be wrong).

I believe though you’re counted as part of their “success” stories, if you use ANY of their services they offer, “admissions prep”, including ACT/SAT prep. So not necessarily if you did the MMI bootcamp itself – which would be MUCH more helpful to applicants if they had those statistics. They say they have a 23% success rate for Brown’s PLME this year, which is a little weird since Brown PLME doesn’t have an interview: https://www.apetest.org/us/latest-news/2016-brown-plme-results/. My guess is that was SAT prep.

For anyone who has attended or is in the program, what is the best major to study and why?

@KShah16, I don’t know about “best” major, but I will say that when it comes to residency application time, your choice of major will not matter at all. I imagine though that especially early on, if you decide to do the traditional route, having done Biology or Chemistry will probably be better, in terms of having finished certain prerequisites. Most people just end up doing the BLA because it’s more flexible and let’s face it, easier. Chem is relatively more difficult to do because it requires you to come in with so much incoming credit.

@NervousDad01,

I forgot the second half of your post:

You probably could take more undergraduate sciences outside of the SOM requirements, but I don’t know anyone who actually does, as those extra science courses often have prerequisites that BA/MD students usually have not taken. More often it can change the order, like if you come in with Chem credit, you can take Cell Bio in the fall as your second science, rather than the summer (unless your ETC no longer allows it now), since we don’t take General Bio I & II. You could take Genetics in the spring of Year 1, since even after Year 1, we don’t take the prerequisites for that course. I’ve known students who have done both. The only caveats – you have to have room in your schedule to where the timings don’t conflict with other required courses, AND you are limited to only 2 sciences per semester.

I think AP science classes more prepare you in terms of getting acclimated to being able to handle and remember lots of details, maybe leading to a huge improvement in study skills, time management, doing things independently, organization, etc. which will be helpful to you in general (I realize this can be very class/teacher dependent). Remember, the purpose of AP courses (in theory) are to replicate the experience in introductory-level courses at the college/university level. So in that sense, it can make the transition from high school to college much easier.

In terms of actual knowledge content, no, I don’t think you’re necessarily at an advantage or disadvantage when it comes to BA/MD undergraduate science coursework or medical school coursework, as the material there is different and hasn’t been replicated in AP courses, although it may build on it. For example, Cell Biology builds on knowledge from General Biology I & II.

@Roentgen yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I’m not sure how they know how many out of state spots there are exactly. Maybe just giving a statistic based on the normal range of 10-15 spots? Can’t speak about their MMI bootcamp as I never signed up for it but I did use their admissions prep specifically for my UMKC interview. Speaking only for myself, I’m not an anxious person but everyone around me (especially my parents) noticed the difference in my performance at the begin and at the end in terms of my abilities as an interviewee. There is a lot of great information on CC but in my opinion, reading about it and being able to apply/deliver it in real life are two different things. I found my sessions really helpful and I KNOW there are a lot of other people on here that have used APE. I recommended them to a few people who messaged me for interview advice so maybe they can also chime in on their experience.

When I applied to PLME, there was no on campus interviews for the PLME portion of the application but a lot of applicants ended up going through regional interviews with alumni so maybe that’s what they’re referring to? They don’t define what includes “admissions prep” so I am only speculating.

@Watang we ended up spending $2,500 over 7 weeks to help me prepare for my UMKC interview. We are not affluent, just middle of the road, but both my parents do not have a medical background unlike many applicants to UMKC so we felt already at a slight disadvantage. I know it’s a lot of money to spend and we would have rather not spent it, but I’m 100% sure I would not have gotten in otherwise.

I know this is not going to help you at this point, but it might help others. If your parents don’t have a lot of money, I know APE also offers some pro bono, and scholarships for their programs/admissions prep every May. I didn’t qualify but I know someone else in the UMKC program in my class that did and she worked with them on a few interview prep sessions for FREE. I really hope things work out for you come May when the first deadline to accept passes :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

@KShah16 you get to choose from 3 areas, LA, Bio, Chem and it really doesn’t matter. Pick based on your personal interest.

@UMKCPanda, what other preparation do they have for the MMI? The only other thing I saw besides the bootcamp was this at $179 - https://www.apetest.org/us/product/mmi-genius/. Just FYI to applicants there are other companies that also do MMI prep as well, so you don’t necessarily have to do it with this specific company. Was this $2,500 just for MMI prep alone or the entire interview cycle – flying into KC, staying at a hotel, etc.!!!

On their UMKC announcement, they just say, “received admissions prep from us.” They don’t attribute it to any particular program: https://www.apetest.org/us/latest-news/2016-umkc-bamd-program-results/

Does the program send you a physical letter of acceptance at all?

@KShah16, would be nice if they still did that!!! My mom still has it framed although it’s sitting in a box in their attic. LOL.

Hi everyone! I’m new to posting on here (although I’ve been reading this thread for a year and a half) and have been accepted into the 2022 class. I’m OOS and as far as prep for the interview goes, I used a few different people’s playlists on YouTube and published questions from other institutes (lots of links previously here in the thread). I felt prepared and I didn’t spend any money solely because I just didn’t have the cash. I’m on here constantly and would be happy to answer any questions :slight_smile:

Hey guys! I’m a long time lurker who got accepted into the program. Thanks @Roentgen and others for your guidance on which I have relied heavily throughout this process.

Just wanted to comment that it is by NO MEANS necessary to take prep classes for the MMI. I myself used 2 books about MMI from amazon, a medical ethics website from University of Washington, and my brain. Please do not feel compelled to spend so much on preparation as you will need that money to pay for the program :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you, @clover1798 and @Roo-MKC!!! I’m so glad it hasn’t gotten to the point (yet) where a commercial prep course is necessary to be successful at the UMKC MMI Interview. I would have been genuinely disappointed if that was the case, as it is expensive enough as it is to go thru the process. Oh and “The Todd” high-five for me for having the medical ethics website from the University of Washington as part of my links in the thread!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_AzCm8Vass

So for those who’ve already accepted their offer, I thought I would just post this since students will be taking AP Exams in May pretty soon, and will need to know which ones will apply directly to your BA/MD degree options – Bachelor of Liberal Arts, Bachelor of Arts in Biology, or Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry. I thought it would be easier just to split it up by degree, even with having to repeat, so you only have to look by the specific degree, rather than by class. I have only included the courses listed in the actual major map, not for any incoming credit you may have to come in with under the “Transfer Credit Notes” to qualify to do the degree. Remember, you are limited to a total of 30 hours of testing credit [AP, IB, CLEP, Departmental Exam] to apply towards your degree.

Bachelor of Liberal Arts: http://www.umkc.edu/majormaps/maps/2015-2016/SOM_BLA_MD_2015_2016.pdf

Natural Sciences division: Taken care of by SOM BA/MD science requirements.

Humanities division: Architecture/Environmental Design, Art/Art History, Communication Studies, English, Foreign Languages, Philosophy, Theatre. - AP Art/AP Art History, AP English Literature

Social Sciences division: American Studies, Anthropology, Criminal Justice, Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Urban Planning & Design. - AP Economics (Macro & Micro), AP Government (U.S. and Comparative), AP Human Geography, AP History (US, World, and European)

AP English Language, ACT English 30 or greater, or SAT Verbal 690 or greater
**DISC 100: Reasoning and Values (Speech and Writing)

AP Chemistry
CHEM 211 AND 211L: General Chemistry I (LEC and LAB) Focus B
CHEM 212 AND 212L: General Chemistry II (LEC and LAB)

AP Psychology
PSYCH 210: General Psychology Focus C

AP Foreign Language
FOREIGN LANGUAGE 120: Elementary Foreign Language II

AP European History or AP World History
Focus A: Arts and Humanities

AP Calculus AB or BC (or take the CLEP for College Algebra)
Math 110 or higher*

AP US History or AP US Government
Missouri Constitution course - Focus C

==============================================================================

Bachelor of Arts in Biology = http://www.umkc.edu/majormaps/maps/2015-2016/SOM_BA_MD_Bio_2015_2016.pdf

AP English Language, ACT English 30 or greater, SAT Verbal 690 or greater

AP Chemistry
CHEM 211 AND 211L: General Chemistry I (LEC and LAB) Focus B
CHEM 212 AND 212L: General Chemistry II (LEC and LAB)

AP Psychology

AP US History or AP US Government
Missouri Constitution course - Focus C

AP Statistics or AP Calculus AB
STAT 235: Elementary Statistics or MATH 210: Calculus I

==============================================================================

Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry = http://www.umkc.edu/majormaps/maps/2015-2016/SOM_BA_MD_Chem_2015_2016.pdf

AP English Language, ACT English 30 or greater; SAT Verbal 690 or greater

AP Psychology

@Roo-MKC @clover1798 Congrats on your UMKC acceptances !!! Just wanted to clarify that I never took an MMI prep “class” where I sat in a room with other students and got lectured about about the MMI etc in the way that people do for SAT/ACT. I’m not sure there’s much value in sitting in a class “learning” about MMIs that because as others have mentioned, there is already a lot of excellent info. posted in this thread. My interview sessions were all one-on-one, very hands-on focusing on me and ultimately it was about providing me with the necessary tools to succeed on my interview. I also found having things such as a UMKC pre-interview calculator helpful.

Anyways … I learned so much from my interview prep sessions and my parents would do it again in a heartbeat but just to repeat, I AM NOT SAYING THAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO SIGN UP AND PAY $$$$ FOR INTERVIEW PREP. Many applicants to UMKC already come from an advantaged background growing up in households with physician parents and family members, so these applicants will probably need to do significantly less than someone like me, in order to do well on their interview.

@Roentgen the $2,500 was just for the interview preparation alone. There are probably companies that exist to prey on unsuspecting applicants and their families but on the other hand, there are also applicants and families that will be quick to bash any kind of prep (as a deterrent on the surface), yet sign their kids up because they know it helps. Bottom line, consider it as an investment and do your research before forking out any money!

Anyhow, let’s focus on UMKC and the newly minted class of 2022 !!! :slight_smile:

@UMKCPanda, no problem, I just didn’t know if AdvisorPrep had a $2,500 option available as well, besides the MMI bootcamp or MMI Genius, that I may have missed. I think people’s mileage will vary, depending on the course, so if anyone decides to do a commercial prep course (and I’m in no way advocating this, since I have no familiarity with them in any way) specifically for the MMI, it helps to do your homework and do it with a company with a good previous track record to getting in the combined program you’re shooting for.

I just found this site a couple of weeks back. I’m the mom of a student who just got accepted to the 6 year BA/MD program. We are in state. I am blown away by all the info available on this site- and just in this thread alone. My daughter and I had absolutely no idea that this level of detailed info was available- probably it was for the best- the application process was stressful by itself- she showed up for the interview completely unaware and unprepared for Toledo, MMI etc- we did not even do the campus visit- we had no idea what to expect- and she got in! I have no idea how the admission process works- who really knows what separates the ones that get accepted from the ones that don’t? All of you seem to be amazing and accomplished for being 17-18 years old. I am a physician and I come from a country where 6 years after high school is the route to becoming a doctor- whether it’s the best way, I don’t know. But it is one way.
Good luck to all of you on your journey! Thanks for all the info on this thread.

Congratulations to your daughter, @zuchinicakes (great username, it looks delicious, lol: http://www.lifesambrosia.com/2009/02/zucchini-cakes-recipe.html). Glad the thread was helpful to you and your daughter, even if after interview season. It’s been going on for a pretty long time now since College Confidential first started, I believe. I think part of what makes this specific thread (and really this entire forum) very helpful is that applicants and their parents, current UMKC BA/MD students, and alums actively come back and contribute. Also helps for UMKC Med that it is almost entirely BA/MD students, so you get a real take on the specific BA/MD track (vs. much harder to hunt down HPME track med students or HPME alums from a Northwestern match list, since they are nowhere close to being a majority of the med school class). I would think it would be pretty stressful to not know about the Toledo or MMI, but I’m glad it all ended up well for your daughter. The interviewing experience can be different for so many people, especially with the MMI, which is still quite new for UMKC (this is only the 4th BA/MD class to have done it). If you have any questions, please feel free to ask as your daughter is probably going through a lot of pre-matriculation tasks to check off - esp. with dorm stuff.

Thank you!
She is going for the admitted students reception and then orientation in April. There is a lot to be done. She sent in her acceptance yesterday.
Although I’m incredibly proud of her, I don’t know if I’m happy, sad or both. This is really the end of one part of her life- and I’ll be honest- the intensity of this program, lack of time off etc does not thrill me.

@zuchinicakes,

Oh, I completely understand, especially now as a new parent. It’s a large mix of both feelings really, but for different reasons. It’s uncharted territory for most students and parents when kids are leaving the house for the very first time after 18 years. Even with coming to the dorms, those first several weeks into the semester can get a little blah, when you tend to get slightly homesick and you realize how much you took for granted everything your parents did for you – i.e. delicious homecooked meals, doing laundry properly, taking out the trash, etc. Although (hopefully) eventually as a student you do get more used to doing things on your own and you have a BA/MD class who is going thru the same things you are. Luckily, she’s in-state, so you’re still relatively close by, and she can drive back relatively quickly, if necessary over a weekend. But it’s very much a learned skill w/necessary practice for sure to become a “functional” adult after high school, and it’s a little harder when you’re in a program, such as this one, with med school thrown into the mix, when you’re just trying to get used to being in college at the beginning. It’s definitely not a magic switch by any means. And yes, you aren’t the only parent who feels that way about those aspects you mentioned.

I’ll be putting up a list I’ve been working on, in the thread, after May 2, when everyone has accepted their offer, about certain “life skills” that I think (IMHO) BA/MD students should try to get quite comfortable with and master, before they move into the dorms in August, or which will be helpful later when they move into apartments after the first year. — i.e. learning basic cooking skills for making quick meals, how to properly do laundry, balancing a checkbook, paying credit card statements on time, etc. that they can work on during May, June, July, and most of August with the family, when they can make newbie mistakes and choices while still under your watchful eye (but don’t do it for them!!). Might even be fun. It will hopefully make that high school to adult transition a little easier for them and not as jarring.