UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@Roentgen YES!!! the info on the doc is very useful.

Thank you @2022md, for the idea of using that Google platform to put it on, so now if I need to edit it or add onto it based on what current students tell me about what is now available or what has changed or what observations/tips/mistakes they notice that they think might help future students, I can readily do so, but at least it’s a good starting point for now.

I found this with Googling that people might be interested in:
http://info.umkc.edu/ISAO/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/SurvivalGuideFall2015.pdf

It’s a guide book for International students at UMKC, but it is useful to all incoming students as it gives a list of stores, places to eat, grocery stores, pharmacies, fun things to do around KC, etc. in the local area close to campus.

@Roentgen Thank you so much for your thorough Google doc!

Wow @Roentgen . Great service.

Thanks @Watang and @hoping2017! I’ve also been working on a list of “life skills” that I think Year 1s should work on this month and in the summer before starting in August to get comfortable with – i.e. being able to cook basic meals (you can’t cook in the dorms still, I don’t think, but will be helpful when you move to an apartment), being able to balance a checkbook, being able to do your own laundry properly, maintaining your car – i.e. getting oil changes on time, etc. that will be helpful to students and their parents.

I’ll paste the link sometime today or tomorrow.

Hey guys, so I finished the “Life Skills” list that I was working on. These are some things, many of which you’ve probably taken for granted up until this point (Thanks Mom and Dad!) as most were likely done for you, as you were going thru grade school. You (with the guidance and help of your parents) can learn and practice these skills throughout this month and the entire summer before you get to UMKC in the fall, so that things aren’t as huge of a shock or as anxiety-provoking to you, when you have to do a lot of these things for yourself for the first time.

Some skills – i.e. cooking, will be much more applicable when you move to apartments after Year 1, since you’re not allowed to cook in the dorms with tons of appliances (at least we weren’t, since they are a fire hazard). http://info.umkc.edu/housing/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/GGL-15-16.pdf - “Because each room is furnished with a micro-fridge unit, additional microwaves and refrigerators are not permitted in the residence halls. Other appliances that may cause a fire or safety hazard may not be used in student rooms. These include: hot-surface appliances such as hot plates, space heaters, popcorn poppers, immersion coils, toasters, toaster ovens, coffee makers, George Foreman grills and any other cooking appliances. Such items brought into the residence hall will be confiscated and stored during the resident’s stay.”

For parents, the BA/MD orientation packet (http://med.umkc.edu/docs/sa/Summer_Orientation.pdf) mentions to have your son or daughter practice making choices, while still under your supervision at home, before they come in the fall to KC. So when practicing and getting comfortable with these “life skills”, don’t actually do the stuff for your son or daughter, as they are doing it. Of course, teach them, based on your years of experience, give them tips and advice, but have them actually DO IT ON THEIR OWN, in front of you, without you jumping in at every moment to try to save them, because you think they’re not doing it exactly right. Let them make mistakes, so they can actively remember and learn from them. And just as an FYI, don’t think you’ve somehow failed as a parent this entire time, just because your kid doesn’t know how to do most of these things adeptly already. Trust me, most 17/18 year olds, even the smartest, don’t, and like everything else in life, requires practice.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NOT-mZO9L3xMtg93Ep7OuEdm2-gIQdKfeEPLnET5vM8/edit?usp=sharing

As said before, CC blocks the initial part of the url, but the **** = docs[dot]google[dot]com

Hey guys. I’m a 4th year in the program. If anyone has any questions feel free to directly message me.

Congratulations to the UMKC BA/MD Class of 2016 who is graduating today!!! If you want to watch the live stream, it starts at 3:00 pm Central Time today: http://med.umkc.edu/event/umkc-school-of-medicine-commencement-2/?instance_id=1517.

Hi, can anyone rate my chances for umkc ba/md for next year pls. I’m in the regional pool not out of state.

3.56 uw gpa

4.55 w gpa

33act

200 hours volunteer at local hospital

200 hours shadowing cardiologist and neurologist

Worked at a rural hospital in India for 2 days helping ophthalmologists there

Bioscience research program at Northwestern for 10 days

Math club and scholastic bowl for 3 years in school

Health careers club in high school

I’m obviously south Asian

Any help would be fine.

I’m hoping for at least an interview. I’m only scared about my 3.56 uw gpa.

Another doubts does umkc have a limited number of students they accept from one high school? Like my high school had 2 kids accepted.

@sandtime, so I think it might be a little more difficult for you to get an interview (though not impossible), since you’re in the regional category vs. say if you were an in-state student, although you do have more of a chance than if you were in the out-of-state category, just based on the number of total spots allocated to regionals. Looking at a prior application PDF from a while back which I posted the link for in the thread: https://www.umkc.edu/admissions/docs/2009MedApplication.pdf – regional & out-of-state students tended to have similar academic stats, the difference just being the total # of spots. As you’re well aware, it’s the unweighted GPA which is hurting you the most, although the rigor of your curriculum will also be taken into account (we don’t have the rubric of how rigor is calculated on the admissions side).

My understanding based on the current thread is that from this year, class rank was not considered in terms of the medical school (don’t ask me why, as I don’t really understand the rationale), at least this is what was stated at an application workshop thru the School of Medicine if you check this thread back in September 2015. Since you can’t change your GPA at the end of junior year at this point, I would concentrate more on the CV end both in terms of healthcare – things like fundraising for cancer charities, working with disabled kids, etc. as well as school involvement, which you didn’t go into much detail. The healthcare stuff you can easily amass during the summer easily.

Just so people are in the know as to what goes into the holistic review of applications:[ul]
[]ACT/SAT Score
[
]Unweighted High School GPA
[]Rigor of High School Curriculum
[
]Essay/Personal Statement
[]High School Activities
[
]Health Experience
[]Reference Forms
[
]Interview (if applicable)[/ul]
For the Year 1 class that entered in 2015-2016, their average ACT was a 31 and their average GPA (I’m assuming unweighted here) was 3.81.

@sandtime4, please see my response above, I mistyped your CC handle and forgot the number.

Hey guys and gals, hope everyone is doing well with school having ended or close to ending for those who end school in early June. This past BA/MD application cycle, 2015-2016, was probably one of the best we’ve ever had in terms of very active applicant AND parental involvement on College Confidential for this particular combined Bachelor/MD program. They’ve set quite a high bar in participation for those who will be applying in 2016-2017.

Thank you to all those who were kind enough to go out of your way to actively contribute to the thread, including what happens on interview day, so that future applicants can greatly benefit, as well as be able to see the entire application process from start to finish - you know who you guys & gals are :-bd. Hopefully some or many of you will come back to the forum to tell how things are going in the program for you - both positives and negatives that you think are important for applicants to know or understand, give everyone the benefit of your hindsight, and help current applicants.

This week, I’ll be going thru the BA/MD application and point out things that applicants should be working on, while we’re all waiting for the new BA/MD application for 2016-2016 to come out in August. The application cycle this fall will be different in that there will only be ONE application deadline: November 1, 2016. You can see the application timeline here: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/timeline/

Will you be able to chance me? With a 3.64 unweighted gpa and a 24 on the ACT. Do I even have a chance? Medicine is my dream.

I will be taking it again this Saturday. I don’t understand what happens the day of the test. When I take practice exams I score about a 32 on each section, but on test day I end up doing horribly bad. Has anyone been accepted with credentials such as mine? I am not carrying hopes on this upcoming test, though.

@monkeylol, so 24 is currently the floor that the UMKC program has placed on the ACT score. I believe that was put in place this past cycle. 3.64 does seem slightly low, but it has to be taken in context with the rigor of your curriculum in terms of the courses you took (i.e. a 3.64 with all “regular”/on-level courses vs. a 3.64 with Pre-AP, Honors,and/or AP courses). You didn’t say whether you were in-state, regional, or out-of-state, which will matter. I don’t really know what the rest of your CV looks like either.

So you meet that minimum, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get an interview. Luckily, this year, the application for EVERYONE is due on November 1st (so none of this very confusing system for applicants in prior years of an Early Notification deadline, and a Regular deadline, blah blah, they’ve had in prior years). The ACT has test dates this month (which you’re taking) as well as another in September and another in October, which is the last test date before the deadline, so you do get 2 full chances more if necessary, and thus get some time to really concentrate, study, and practice to knock it out of the park.

I would aim to get at least a 31 on the ACT to put you in safer territory (although more is always better, of course), which it looks like you’re doing well on practice tests now, so it seems like your only issue might be freaking out and thus doing worse? I would change your perception completely, as you just said, “I am not carrying hopes on this upcoming test”. FULL STOP. That is not the attitude you want to go into the ACT or any standardized exam with.

Ok thank you!