UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Hey @smores98,

So I think there are several reasons that you get different answers to that question:[ul]
[]It depends who you’re asking (as you get further and further away from Spring/Summer Year 4, people easily forget how correlative the actual exam was to what they learned while they were taking coursework, since those classes are over and done, and just because it’s such a long exam (7 hours) in which you take quite a number of hours to study for and simulate questions with, and then you jump right into Year 5 clerkships and start studying for their specific final exams, USMLE Step 2, setting up auditions rotations, applying for residency, blah, blah blah. So you talked with alumni who were at least interns, so they’re already 3+ years away from when they took Step 1, so they likely will not be able to tell you how close Step 1 really was to their coursework. It’s best to talk with people who are much closer, so for this year it would be Classes of 2018 (who are taking it this year), 2017, 2016 (who are still in school). You can go on Facebook and cordially message people for that specific question so that at least you get a more recent and accurate answer.
[
]People have very different baseline study methods and strategies (although you can always learn new ones), different work ethic, different long-term memory retention, etc.
[]People have different specialties they are aiming for – certain specialties don’t emphasize Step 1 scores as much as others do.[/ul]
So let me answer your other questions – these are my opinions, so take it for what it is worth:[ol]
[li]I don’t think the school has “no effect” on Step scores. Clearly they have some effect, as they’re the ones that introduce and present to you basic science material (the way they want to) and then assess/evaluate your mastery of that knowledge, usually thru exams. You usually learn things initially the way they are taught and the way they are tested, when you try to recall things later. I think what that person may have meant, which @Watang alluded to, is that you get to a point in which you have to study and go thru the material, then be able to understand and apply it on your own, independently - even if you didn’t learn the information in class, either because it was never taught, talked about, or presented, or it was taught very poorly at the time. You can’t say, for example, “We never covered this in Path or Dr. _____ taught this topic really badly, it’s not fair for the USMLE to test us on it, so I’m not going to learn it!” You’d have to be utterly insane. Yes it sucks (majorly), yes it’s unbelievably frustrating, but everyone kind of grins and bears it for the most part it.[/li][
]I would say on average, UMKC students take about 2, maybe 3 months, of actual solid review before taking the Step 1 exam. This ISN’T counting slowly re-introducing yourself to the material that you’ve long ago forgotten or having to fill in basic science knowledge gaps on the topics/concepts that either were never taught, were quickly skimmed over, or were taught very poorly, which you then have to “teach” yourself for the first time. I’m talking about AFTER you’ve done both of those things. As you can imagine, that can take some time to learn the information the way you were supposed to have learned it, and again, can be very frustrating.
[li]As far as me personally, I agree with @Watang’s post, in terms of my own personal experience as well. I do not believe my coursework really prepared me well for my boards (luckily, we figured this out long before, from classes ahead of us, so it wasn’t a huge shock, but it wasn’t any less frustrating), which is a shame, because I think there are so many (even little) things the faculty could have done to change things to make it more helpful and beneficial. But it’s not like this is a new problem. Basic sciences has always been a perennial problem for us. We were literally freaking out when we started looking at actual USMLE questions just because our course exams weren’t at all structured like that, and we were noticing certain topics/concepts not being covered (not even talking about being taught poorly, I’m saying not even taught/skipped).[/li]
Being a good standardized test-taker is a very important skill to have and unfortunately the combined program, by itself, does not give practice and sharpen those skills for our students over the years like you might hope: i.e. we don’t take the MCAT, we don’t take standardized basic science shelf exams, the way KU Med does (or at least they used to until 2014. They now just have their students take the standardized CBSE every semester in their first 2 years: http://www.kumc.edu/Documents/ome/Curriculum%20Connections%20–%20Spring%202014.pdf), to give early indicators of students’ progression. So by the time we take our CBSE for real in order to be able to qualify to take Step 1, it’s been 4 years since many of us took our last standardized exam, the ACT/SAT (the Year 3 CBSE that have students take is relatively useless because we’ve only completed Biochem and HSF and have a lot more to go). Again, if you’re already a gifted standardized test taker (I wasn’t, it always took hard work) then it won’t matter, but if you’re a slightly above average/average/below average standardized test taker, then knowing whether you’re on par or not, while you’re going thru classes, is very beneficial.[/ol]

Thank you @Roentgen and @Watang - I was really hoping you’d make it in!!!

@Roentgen, you said, “you get to a point in which you have to study and go thru the material, then be able to understand and apply it on your own” and “we started looking at actual USMLE questions just because our course exams weren’t at all structured like that”, can you give an example of the first one of having to do that, and for the second one, if they’re not structured like USMLE questions, how are they structured then?

@smores98,

So in terms of the first quote, I’ll try to come up with an example that is probably easier to understand from someone who has taken high school biology. So let’s say in your boards studying you read and review about the cell cycle (it will be more detailed in terms of medical school, but thought I’d start with a topic familiar in high school bio classes - you know G0, G1, S, G2, M (the “M” for Mitosis is further divided into Interphase, Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase), blah blah blah. Let’s say you then memorize all those steps and what happens in each step perfectly, and you can spit them back at me like Dustin Hoffman in the movie Rain Man: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-superhuman-mind/201212/kim-peek-the-real-rain-man. So on the USMLE exam, they won’t ask you to regurgitate back what you studied. They expect you to be able to go further with that information and apply it which proves you really know it and actually understand it conceptually.

Ok, so going back to the cell cycle, why is it important in medicine? Because we have chemotherapy drugs that act to kill cancer cells (cancer is essentially the cell cycle that has gone amok, with no checkpoints in the system so you get cells that won’t stop dividing, they just keep growing in number). So how do those chemotherapy drugs work? They work by acting at specific steps of the cell cycle. Students don’t always make this connection, just because the way it’s taught, these topics are taught as separate entities.

So on the exam, instead of asking you “How does [cancer drug] work?” and then give you choices each one being the verbatim definition of how that drug works (i.e. stops the formation of the mitotic spindle in mitosis, inhibits DNA and RNA synthesis, etc. – all of which you could have easily just rote memorized) and you select the right answer and move on, they’ll flip it on you and instead ask you at the end: “Which phase of the cell cycle does [cancer drug] act on?”

So not only did you have to know how that drug works (but knowing that factoid alone doesn’t get you the points though) you also have to then be able to work out in your head, which part of the cell cycle is most likely to be affected - G1, S, G2, M, etc. knowing everything you know about the cell cycle and what actually happens in each phase. Just having memorized how the drug works alone OR memorized the phases alone doesn’t get you to the right answer. You have to be able to put those 2 concepts/topics together and critically think.

In terms of your 2nd question on class exams:

On average overall, most BMS class tests still tended to be more formatted as rote memorization questions – spit back at me what you studied on my notes, type questions, not the application example I gave above, which is why it was more shocking later when classes were finally over and we all had to suddenly figure out how to do those types of questions. Hope that answers it for you.

Hi,

Right now, I’m on the in-state waitlist for the class of 2022. Is there any chance I’ll get in? I know some people on the wait list have already received acceptance letters, so I guess I should apply again next year? Thanks in advance.

@subtlety,

So here’s how it works:

The new students just very recently coming off of the waitlist from each specific pool have 2 full weeks time to respond to their new BA/MD offer from UMKC (which they can either accept or reject). Once that 2 weeks is over, the admissions office again looks at the final class roster and sees if there are still any remaining spots left in the class. If there still are, they repeat the same above process with people further down the waitlist, and they keep repeating the above process, until the Year 1 class eventually does fill. Once the class has actually filled, the admissions office will send an email to everyone on the waitlist that the class is now full and no further offers will be made

So if you’re still on the waitlist and haven’t heard anything yet, it just means you’re still on the waitlist, but it’s not like you get an email after each 2 week cycle telling you that. The only contact the admission office will make with people on the waitlist are to those whom they are extending an offer and once the class has filled to let people know that no further offers will be made.

@sapuos
Hi @sapuos, I am posting my earlier question again.
How and where to submit full application for prior review before the actual submission, as you did?
It would be of great help if you could point me in that direction please. I am a junior now. Will be applying next cycle.

@hoping2017, this week is actually final exams week at UMKC: http://www.umkc.edu/registrar/registration/final-exam-schedule.asp, which is probably why @sapuos, may not have gotten back to you as quickly in these last 3 days, so just be a little patient, especially since the application won’t come out until August. You can see the ones for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 in this thread.

Thanks @Roentgen . Sorry didn’t notice @sapuos is a student already. I thought he got admitted recently.
Yes, of course will wait. Please take your time @sapuos.
(I have seen those applications. I am just curious about the part of submitting for prior review)
BTW, thanks for your impeccable and inestimable contribution towards this community.

@hoping2017, you actually are correct! sapuos was accepted this year, looking at prior posts. I jumped the gun and assumed incorrectly, because usually (if it does happen) it’s current students who come back to the CC forum to give back to future applicants who went thru what they went through. Very kind of sapuos to offer to help people already, after being accepted this year. I believe this is the calculator that everyone is referring to: https://www.apetest.org/us/latest-news/umkc-bamd-program-interview-calculator/, although it’s not officially endorsed by the university. It seems to be available to everyone starting in August, and it’s free!

Thank you so much for your very kind and sincere words :"> , although I do hope more current students decide to come back and to contribute in some way, as I think their advice is just as valuable, if not more valuable being “in the trenches” now themselves!!

@Roentgen Very few people in this world take a look back at the bridge, once they crossover. You are certainly one among them. Not trying to flattering you. My comments are sincere.
Calculator is fine, but I guess I was looking for specific details about ‘submitting the full application for a prior review and getting a feedback from someone at umkc, with an email id of xxxx@umkc.edu’. That intrigued me.

Hoping2017@ are you from instate or out of state ? I sent you few personal messages to you. Please check . I am also applying next year . So glad to find someone here to share the up and downs of this journey.

@3kiddos I’ll also be applying this year!! r u oos or in state??

Hey does anyone know whether there are websites, similar to like imgur, where you can create a link for something you upload? I thought rather than post advice and mistakes to avoid in the thread (since CC posts have character limits) and having to break it up into several posts, it would just be easier to paste a link instead to either view/download it, if that’s possible.

@Roentgen Google doc available to the public is the best option. Can’t wait for ur advice!

Thanks @2022md! I’ve never made a document thru GoogleDocs up until now before (surprisingly), but that will probably be the best solution at the moment, unless someone has something better.

For those asking me, regarding textbooks, you can go to the university’s website here: https://www.umkcbookstore.com/ (for undergraduate textbooks).

For the health sciences bookstore, that website is here: http://www.umkc-hsbookstore.com/default.aspx?skinid=1 (for your BMS and MED classes).

That being said, at least in the first year, don’t buy your books from the university bookstore. Borrow it from a Year 2, get it MUCH cheaper thru places like Amazon (they have sellers who sell it for even cheaper as well - look under “More Buying Choices”), Half.com, AbeBooks.com, Biblio.com, etc. I know some people bought their books thru online bookstores in Europe and Asia. The university bookstore is way too overpriced - spend your hard-earned (or your parents’ hard-earned) money on something better.

Hey guys, I’m actually adding some more sections to the initial Google Doc (thanks @2022md!) to try to flesh it out much more in terms of observations, mistakes that I saw that were commonly made by students, things learned in hindsight, tips and advice while going thru the combined program, etc., starting from the dorms onward. If you guys have any specific categories or specific questions in mind that you think should be addressed or that might be helpful, let me know (by PMs) and I can try to incorporate it into the Google Doc.

If you’re an incoming Year 1, since we’re kind of in a lull right now till application season starts back up again in August, in the meantime, feel free to ask your questions here and one of us can try to answer it to the best of our abilities, and/or based on what our specific experiences were, not just me, but also @Blugrn6, @cakapripi, as well as current Year 1s here who have come back (who will be Year 2s after today!). And of course applicants for this fall and parents can continue to ask questions as always.

@Roentgen Can’t wait!

Hey guys, so I’ve been getting questions about the Anchor/Discourse stuff that UMKC does which recently started in Fall 2013, in place of the previous General Ed requirements (Colleges/Universities usually have some type of General Education coursework that all undergrads complete no matter what major - i.e. Freshman English I, Sophomore English II, etc.). Here are some helpful websites that I think explain things a bit more:[ul]
[]http://www.umkc.edu/core/
[
]http://www.umkc.edu/anchor-discourse/index.cfm
[]https://catalog.umkc.edu/undergraduate-academic-regulations-information/general-education-requirements/
[
]https://www.umkc.edu/provost/gen-ed/documents/UMKC_Gen_Ed_Model_Presentation_Fall2012.pdf
[*]http://info.umkc.edu/unews/general-education-requirements-set-to-change-in-fall-2013/[/ul]

I’m posting this Summer 2016 syllabus for Chem 320, so incoming Year 1 students can see for themselves how fast-paced Organic Chemistry tends to be when it’s taught in the 8 week summer semester, since students are graduating this month, if not early June.

http://g.web.umkc.edu/gounevt/Orgo320/syllab320k.htm

First Day of classes - June 6
Exam 1 - June 16 (10 days from first day of classes)
Exam 2 - June 29 (13 days from Exam 1)
Exam 3 - July 18 (19 days from Exam 2)
Exam 4 - July 28 (10 days from Exam 3)

This doesn’t include Organic Chem Lab which has it’s own exam(s) and meets for 3 hours twice a week in the summer, and Cell Biology, which will have it’s own set schedule of exams.

Not trying to intentionally scare anyone, but just showing why it’s highly recommended for students to come in with SOME type of General Chem credit with lab, so that Organic Chem with Lab can be completed in the regular spring semester. At the very least, take General Chemistry I w/the corresponding lab, thru your local community college or university in the summer.

Hey guys, so I finished the document in Google Docs:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19dObjsE2cXlkcLf6gU9bzENxGO30E1ERDnJlm4dsFDA/edit?usp=sharing/. Hopefully this works out well. If you have any questions, please ask. If you think there are other categories that you think might be helpful to include or that you have questions on and need a perspective, let me know by PM so I can edit the document. I tried to keep it relatively broad with approaches that are relatively unchanged and won’t vary greatly even with policy changes.

Edit: For some reason CC blocks the initial part of the url, but the **** = docs[dot]google[dot]com