UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@mrsoccer1448,
How do students feel they are treated by their medical school? I know each person’s experience will be different but what was your experience or those of your friends? If something is really wrong, do they fix it quickly or solve it? Do they really listen to students?

@Roentgen,
You had said before you would not have done the program if you could do it all over again, when do you think you would have left if you had? Were there any warning signs? Why didn’t you leave? Sorry if this is too personal to answer.

Does anyone know what the lowest unweighted GPA has been for an admitted out of state applicant to UMKC? On their website it just states that from 2010-2014, applicants have been admitted with unweighted GPAs of 3.0-4.0 but I have a feeling that is for instate applicants?

Hey @kkfields, that average of 3.0 - 4.0 is for ALL Year 1 BA/MD matriculants. They do not have it further divided into in-state, regional, and out-of-state stats on the website. You can see the 2015-2016 Year 1 matriculant statistics here: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19352392#Comment_19352392, again overall, not divided into the separate pools in-state, regional, and out-of-state.

Hey @GulabJamun,

No, it’s not too personal. In hindsight, if I had to pick which moment would have been best to leave, that would have been spring semester of Year 1 - so right after finals, but before having to stay longer in KC for Hospital Team. The reason that would have been best is that it is MUCH easier to transfer your credit at that point into a “real” bachelor degree. You also have a lot better chance of playing “catch up” in terms of graduating “on-time” in 4 years (if that’s a priority for you - which would have been the case for me), while doing the normal traditional 4 + 4 application process. It is difficult to make that transition much later on in the program, when you no longer are in undergraduate courses, but are taking BMS courses which don’t necessarily have an undergraduate equivalent, although Biochemistry is probably the one exception here, since there are upper-level undergraduate Biochem courses.

I think there definitely were red flags, but in Year 1, at that age and level of life experience, you tend to give more slack or ignore things that might make you go “Hmmmm…” otherwise. For example, from the beginning you’re already limited to very specific majors (now I guess you only get 3 options vs. the many more available before - Liberal Arts, Bio, Chem, but also Sociology, Psychology, Comm Studies, Philosophy, etc.), I mean what can you do if you wanted to do an undergraduate degree in Engineering or Business? Well at least for the 6 year program as it is now, nothing. You’d have to extend, assuming they’d even allow you those degrees and still be in the program. You have to understand most people in Year 1 are soaking up just not having to be premed (based on whatever (mis)perceptions they believe that entails). As a Year 1, you get “your” white coat, go to Docent, in which you get to “feel” like a doctor for 2 days a week. It would be a self-esteem booster for any incoming graduated high school student. You feel very “different” from your premed counterparts at UMKC and from home who are usually in General Bio and Chem while you’re taking Anatomy and Micro. I think in many ways it makes it that much harder to leave.

You likely won’t see, as a Year 1, all of the inherent compromises that you’re making just yet or the potential disadvantages that are part of the combined program, the medical school and university, at that point. Or you might think that all of those things are easily surmountable (that can be true in some instances andnot true in other instances, depending on what it is).

As far as why I didn’t leave the combined program, I think there are several reasons. Part of it I think was not wanting to “feel like” that I had somehow disappointed my parents, after deciding I wanted to go to medical school in the first place, trying to find out more about the alternative route to get there (The College Confidential Bachelor/MD forum did not exist back then, so applicants only had the MSAR book officially released by the AAMC, which has a chapter on Bachelor/MD programs, university packets/brochures, and maybe current students/alumni word of mouth if you happened to know someone personally), filling out an application, writing essays, getting references, interviewing, waiting for the decision, getting an acceptance, and jumping up and down with sheer joy that I had somehow “made it”.

In many ways I felt that it was my fault, that somehow I didn’t do enough due diligence to look behind the curtain at the program - not that I would have even known what to ask to find those answers at that age, and there wasn’t much available to turn to to get those answers. In reality, my parents would not have cared as much if I left at that point, if I was truly that miserable – it’s still 5 figure tuition, but is still relatively easier to pay off, but you know how Type A 19 year olds can be (or I guess you don’t know just yet!). By that time, I felt that I had already invested ~$90 K at that point (~$45 K if you’re in-state) for tuition alone for what was effectively a Liberal Arts degree. That’s several times over what I would have paid in total tuition for a full 4 year bachelor degree as an in-state student, at a great public undergraduate state flagship.

If I had pulled out of the combined program at the end of Year 2, I didn’t know if I would have been shooting myself in the foot to still be able to make it into a traditional 4 year med school or another healthcare professional school period, or even what new career to envision myself in, since so much of what I had aimed for up until that point was becoming a physician and trying to get into med school in the first place! I also think at THAT time, in terms of how the medical school interacted with and treated BA/MD students, there were prevailing perceptions (whether right or wrong) in the BA/MD student body that a) the school was purposefully trying to get more BA/MD students to extend or to extend and then eventually drop out, as well as make things harder, b) the school did not genuinely care about the legitimate complaints and concerns of BA/MD students, and c) the school was not likely to help out BA/MD students if or when they were to find themselves in some type of academic trouble in coursework - thus an overall huge problem in student advocacy type issues. So for many of us, we didn’t want that “system” we felt we were working against to win - which I think as a byproduct resulted in a MUCH more cohesive BA/MD class, although not under very great circumstances. Hopefully the above has actually changed in 2016, in terms of how the medical school addresses these issues that you asked @mrsoccer1448 about.

Good lord that was personal! No more personal questions on this thread ever!!! LOL. j.k. I do reserve the right not to answer though, which I haven’t had to use yet.

@GulabJamun I think most students will say they feel treated relatively well (or at least I do). There is now more focus on making sure the students are heard and things improve over time for future classes. We fill out a survey and evaluations at the end of each class/rotation. You evaluate both the class as a whole (write specific things you liked/did not like about the class) and same for the teachers. If the teacher is the same the next year, he/she will incorporate these changes into the curriculum for the next year. Hope that helps

Thanks @Roentgen ! I guess I was wondering specifically if any out of state applicants have been admitted over the past several years to UMKC with lower unweighted GPAs (ie. less than 3.30). I figured that there are naturally going to be a few applicants instate who make it in with the lower GPAs because the school favors instate as would be expected.

@kkfields, so UMKC BA/MD admissions uses an unweighted high school GPA from the 17 core requirements of the university - http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/admission-requirements-eligibility/ (Look under “Coursework”, “Holistic Review of Applications”). It’s not your cumulative unweighted GPA of all high school coursework that is on your transcript. The actual rigor of your coursework is also taken into consideration (taking English III vs. AP English III, for example) as well as standardized test score (ACT/SAT).

You fill out that information on the General Application for Admission to UMKC: https://www.umkc.edu/admissions/docs/umkc_application.pdf (See Page 4, where they have you fill it out along with the grades in those areas. I’m sure they also cross-check that information with your actual transcript just to make sure. You can fill out the general application online here: [url =<a href=“https://umkc.umsystem.edu/psp/prdpr/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/UM_ADMISSIONS.UM_WEB_APP_LOGIN.GBL?AITS_HDR_CODE=3&IsFolder=false&campus=STNKCITY%5DGeneral”>https://umkc.umsystem.edu/psp/prdpr/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/UM_ADMISSIONS.UM_WEB_APP_LOGIN.GBL?AITS_HDR_CODE=3&IsFolder=false&campus=STNKCITY]General Application for Admission in August.

The medical school used to look at high school class rank, but I believe they no longer do so (don’t know why), at least based on relatively current posts in the thread. It’s hard to know since we don’t have that information in front of us, but usually those in the out-of-state pool who do get interviews tend to be on the higher end of the unweighted GPA scale, mainly because there aren’t as many spots, in comparison to those who are in-state, so the admissions committee can have the luxury of being more selective in this pool (and probably in the regional pool somewhat as well).

So what I would do at this point is just apply to the program anyways, work very hard on the personal statement/essays, give the online reference form in the application to strong evaluators, and see whether she gets an interview or not. I would also apply to other Bachelor/MD programs both in her home state and not also, and also great regular undergrads as well. When you’re out-of-state, that’s sort of the game plan, as sometimes applying to this program and receiving an interview, as someone outside of Missouri can feel like a crapshoot (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/crapshoot).

Thanks so much @Roentgen !

I searched this entire thread and on the UMKC website and could not find the answer to the following question … so hopefully @Roentgen or one of the other knowledgeable contributors can help me out.

How does UMKC calculate the required GPA based on the 17 core requirements?

For example, it says that “Three units of science (including one unit of biology and one unit of chemistry)” are required:

If my son has completed 5 science courses and received the following grades:

Biology I - C
Biology II - A
Chemistry I - A
AP Physics I - B
Chemistry II - A

Will they calculate his GPA using the three science courses with the highest grades (ie. Bio II + Chem I + Chem II) or will they use the most advanced classes or some other combination (ie. taking the lowest grade, which I’m hoping is not the case!!!)???

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

CM

Hey @cellomello, that’s a good question. On the General Application for Admission to UMKC: https://www.umkc.edu/admissions/docs/umkc_application.pdf (Page 4), it looks like under completed coursework you only get the specific designated # of spots on the application, so for Science you get 3 spots. There isn’t extra room to add more grades.

I’d assume you’d put in the courses in chronological order in high school from 9th → 10th → 11th, but the actual application doesn’t really state this, so most likely it’s probably completely up to your choosing on which courses you wish to enter which fits that category. I would definitely call into UMKC to confirm. Since this is part of the general application, I would call the main university, not the medical school.

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if Broadcasting fulfills the one unit of fine arts requirement? Also, I am sure it has been posted earlier on this thread but can anyone tell me how many people on average apply to the program from the three categories and how many receive interviews and how many are accepted? Thanks!

@chocolatina1001,

So if you look here: https://www.umkc.edu/admissions/docs/umkc_application.pdf, for the Fine Arts unit: “art, music, drama, dance” are acceptable. “Not acceptable: allied arts, literature, foreign language, speech, debate.” Do you have something like maybe AP Art History at your school that you can take as a senior? That counts.

Broadcasting would probably more fall under the “Journalism” or “Speech” heading, and thus fall under the English units. If I remember correctly, in the past (at least when I applied) there was some slight wiggle room on the Fine Arts requirement, just because not everyone is going to be involved in the more long term Fine Arts – Orchestra, Choir, Band, Dance Team, Theatre, etc., but I’m not at all sure about this. I understand for class rank/GPA reasons why high school seniors may not want to enroll in something like Art I, just to apply to this program. Definitely ask admissions on this when the applications open up in August, as I’m sure they wouldn’t want people not applying to the program just due to a 1 unit Fine Art thing.

You can see here: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19352392/#Comment_19352392, under “2015 Incoming Class Statistics:”, There were 1,229 applications (I’m assuming these are actually completed and submitted applications), 308 students interviewed, 116 students matriculated. These were students who would now be in Year 2 of the program.

Thanks! @Roentgen

So the UMKC School of Medicine Online Supplemental Application will probably be coming out pretty soon (hopefully in August just like the General Application). You can go to the link directly here for that: [UMKC SOM BA/MD Supplemental Application](The B.A./M.D. Program : Admissions Login : UMKC School of Medicine). Just remember this is a SUPPLEMENTAL application. You have to also fill out the online general application for admission to the university.

People will probably start posting more “What are my chances?” posts in the thread when it comes to chances of receiving an interview invite at UMKC, as well as wondering what other Bachelor/MD programs they should be thinking about applying to. If you do post in the thread, 1) please try to post close to/similar to this format:

Applicant Pool: In-State/Regional/Out-of-State
**State:/b

GPA:

• Unweighted GPA: X.XX on a 4.0 scale (if possible, calculate an unweighted GPA based off of the 17 core requirements listed on the general application as that is what will be used at UMKC)
  • Weighted GPA:

Class Rank:

• #x out of y students or Top 1%/5%/10%/15%/etc.

ACT score: Composite: XX; English: XX, Math: XX, Reading: XX, Science: XX
SAT score: Composite: XXXX; Critical Reading: XXX, Math: XXX, Writing: XXX (UMKC does not look at Writing, but included for other programs that might)
**SAT Subject Test scores:/b

High School Activities, Organizations, and Clubs:
Name of the activity (mention if in an officer/leadership position) - Grade levels participated in, # of hours

**Work experience:/b
Name of activity - Total # of hours

**Community Service/Volunteering:/b

Healthcare/Patient Care Experiences:

Research Experience:
Name of activity - Total # of hours; Anything tangible out of it? (i.e. an abstract, poster, oral presentation, or manuscript publication)

Honors and Awards:
List each one

Even if you will not be in the 12th grade this fall, feel free to post what you have anyways up until this point in terms of CV so you know what things to stay steady on/to maintain and what areas you need to improve on and add to, especially if you’re considering the more competitive Bachelor/MD programs. You may also want to take a look at this as you’re progressing through high school: http://www.collegeadmissionspartners.com/wp-content/uploads/White-paper-on-BSMD-programsfinal.pdf

1. You can also use the APE calculation website: apetest.org/us/latest-news/umkc-bamd-program-interview-calculator/, which opens up in August.
  1. You can also use the APE calculation website: http://apetest.org/us/latest-news/umkc-bamd-program-interview-calculator/, which opens up in August.

What factors does the calculator base your chances on?

@chocolatina1001, I’m not really sure. It was just a tool mentioned by some users in the thread at the end of this past application cycle, which I didn’t even know about existed, as I think it’s relatively new(er). Hopefullly those who do use it this application cycle can come back here and tell us what exactly is asked to come up with the pre-interview probability.

Hey guys (and gals), so while you’re all waiting for the BA/MD supplemental application to come out, you can start filling out the general application for admission here: [UMKC General Application for Admission](BIG-IP logout page). You can also start working on the personal statement section, which you can find the prompt here on the website: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/apply/, under “Essay”:

It’s pretty similar to what the personal statement has been in the past 2 application cycles:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18620976/#Comment_18620976
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18737719/#Comment_18737719

wow this thread is honestly so helpful and informative! I have some questions and honestly don’t have the time (right now) to flip through 382 pages of blogs. So, these might be repeated questions, so I apologize ahead of time:

1. Is it helpful to take human anatomy in school or in like a short class over the summer at a local college?
  2. Is taking AP chem helpful, in terms, of being able to get college credit/not having to take Year 1 courses? Or is there a general chemistry course you could take over the summer that gets you the same credit?
  3. Does volunteer work in substance abuse prevention count as healthcare experiences/healthcare exposure?

@mli701,

1. You can see my response to #1 in here as well: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19762710/#Comment_19762710

It definitely can be helpful to have taken a human anatomy course in high school, although it is nowhere near necessary to have had the course beforehand to do well in the Year 1 course at UMKC (any advantage disappears after that since the next semester in Year 1 is Microbio). A question similar to yours was asked regarding whether to study in advance in the summer for Year 1 Anatomy in the Fall. My answer was a vehement NO and for people to truly enjoy their summer to the very fullest with their friends and family. The fall course spread out over the 16 week semester does a pretty good job in terms of giving you enough time to chew, digest, and process the information for the midterm exams once a month.

1. You can see in the thread (too lazy to look up the exact post now), but I've always recommended coming in to the BA/MD program with SOME type of General Chemistry credit, whether that is thru the AP exam, IB exam, or by taking the course at a local university (whether in the University of Missouri system for grade points or outside of the University of Missouri system in which you'll only receive credit at UMKC)/community college and then transferring it in: http://www.umkc.edu/Registrar/transfer-credit/default.asp#anchor-1. Those who do the third option usually do so during the summer. Some universities/colleges structure the summer to where if you wanted to, you can complete both General Chemistry I and II with Labs over the summer, first half of the summer being Gen Chem I, the second half of the summer being Gen Chem II.

The AP exam for Chemistry could potentially give you credit for 2 semesters of General Chemistry with the Labs in Year 1. It used to be that a “3” gave you credit for all of General Chemistry and Labs at UMKC but that has now changed where you need a least a “4” for credit for the first half of General Chem I w/Lab, and a “5” for full credit for both General Chemistry I and II w/labs: http://www.umkc.edu/registrar/transfer-credit/default.asp#anchor-2. A “3” effectively gives you credit for nothing that applies toward degree requirements.

1. Yes that ABSOLUTELY would count as healthcare experience/healthcare exposure, especially with the discussion of the opioid addiction epidemic in the news. Definitely include that in your healthcare experiences.