UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@Sona3599, I don’t believe UMKC will ask for an additional certification of healthcare experience from the places you did it at. I don’t think it’s even done on the traditional AMCAS application level either in terms of an actual certificate/signatures from the places you did ECs at. There’s already enough paperwork in this process as it is. There are other ways to find out, i.e. people who inflate their hours to where it would be humanly impossible to do that much once you subtract hours from school, eating, sleeping, etc. Not to mention, you’re only hurting yourself (not you specifically, obviously), in terms of really seeing what medicine is actually like and not the romanticized version that students often may have in their heads. Having those experiences often times is what you’ll hold onto as to why you did medicine especially as you’re going thru Year 5 clerkships which can sometimes be pretty rough. Year 5 is NOT the time to figure out how much you hate the practice of clinical medicine.

Hey guys! Do you know how many people drop out of the program in a given year? Cause I heard it’s pretty tough, since your doing premed in like just 2 years so

@imateenager, you can see the statistics for yourself regarding attrition here, with links that are currently publicly available:

1. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19494705/#Comment_19494705
  2. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18175770#Comment_18175770

The latest publicly available report in terms of attrition stats was in 2009, which is the 2nd link in both 1) and 2) above. If you were to get an interview, I would ask for what the current numerical attrition stats are and for how many years (med school classes) that statistic is based off of.

There’s also a distinction to be made between attrition, which is dropping out of the program completely without obtaining the MD degree, and extension, which means people originally enrolled in the 6 year BA/MD program who prolong it to either 7 or 8 years, but who do eventually graduate with the MD. Based on what I have read from what is publicly available, there were no stats detailed with regards to extension.

Just more as a clarification, but in the structure of the UMKC 6 year program, you’re not really “doing premed” per se, in terms of course requirements, that other Bachelor/MD programs usually tend to incorporate. Several premed requirements like General Physics or General Biology (if you do the Bio BA degree, you do Bio I only) are taken out of the curriculum.

You can see how the overall BA/MD curriculum structure looks like here: http://med.umkc.edu/curriculum/info/#six

You can see the BA/MD degree plans here:

Liberal Arts, BLA: https://cf1.umkc.edu/majormaps/maps/2016-2017/SOM_BLA_MD_2016_2017.pdf

Biology BA: https://cf1.umkc.edu/majormaps/maps/2016-2017/SOM_BA_MD_Bio_2016_2017.pdf

Chemistry BA: https://cf1.umkc.edu/majormaps/maps/2016-2017/SOM_BA_MD_Chem_2016_2017.pdf

Is UMKC send interview invitations to everyone at the same time?

wow thanks @Roentgen for your big response! Btw are you in the program or applying?:smiley:

@sampil, in the past, just based on users having reported on CC, it seems like the interview invite/denial/waitlist decision was more staggered (although quick, it’s not like you were waiting for a week) vs. everyone getting it exactly at the same time. Everything in the application process is automated now, with invite and final decision also coming thru the student portal so the admissions people probably want to make triple sure above all, that it’s accurate, before just pressing the button and sending a flurry of emails.

@imateenager, ha! At this time, neither, thank goodness. I finished the 6 year combined program along with residency & fellowship.

Hey guys (and gals), exactly one month from today, the application is due on November 1st, which is a Tuesday. In order to have your application complete - you have to have completed the general application for admission to UMKC, the supplemental application for the BA/MD program at UMKC, have your high school transcript sent, have your ACT or SAT official score report sent, and at least 3 reference forms completed by whomever you asked to fill out the online form they get to their email.

This ALL needs to be RECEIVED by UMKC by Nov. 1st in order to be able to count as being on-time. So don’t wait on sending your high school transcript. Send it now, so that it is received by November 1st. Same with your ACT/SAT scores, send it now. If you’re taking the ACT/SAT this month, that’s fine (it does count) but have your score report sent which will include that score and be received on time. Don’t wait until the very last day up until midnight on October 31st to submit your application thru the student portal. Websites sometimes mess up with everyone logging into a website and submitting all at once very close to a deadline. Avoid that potential headache and submit a few days earlier than the deadline.

Of course, make sure you confirm that things that are out of your control in terms of being sent (high school transcript, ACT/SAT score report, reference form completion, etc.) have been received by the UMKC School of Medicine. You can always call them or email them to confirm receipt: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/apply/ (see left-hand side). You can also check the student portal, and I’ve been told by an applicant that there is an “Application Status” button near the top of the supplemental application portal, in which you can track particular parts as having been received or not, so check that as well.

Hey guys, so I got a private message to my post from yesterday, and thought I would clarify, as there were some really good questions on it that I thought might benefit everyone to get the answer to.

1. The different pieces: UMKC General App, UMKC BA/MD Supplemental App, High School Transcript, ACT/SAT score report, Reference Forms are not dependent on each other in terms of when you turn things in. So, for example, DON’T WAIT on submitting your BA/MD supplemental app (assuming that it’s finished, of course) just because UMKC Med still hasn’t yet received completed reference forms from your evaluators yet. They’re completely separate parts. Submit your completed BA/MD supplemental app, then kindly followup with your evaluators who received the online reference form in their emails, to complete it before Nov. 1. I don’t know how many reference form notifications the supplemental application allows you to potentially send, but you need a minimum of 3 completed in order to have a complete file (they’ll accept max of 6 completed reference forms). More references aren’t necessarily better. The key is they have to be strong references.

2. With respect to ACT/SAT scores: Make sure that an official score report is sent from either the College Board (SAT) or ACT, Inc. (ACT) to UMKC. See "Step 2: Submit Transcripts & Test Scores: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/apply/. Many times high school transcripts will have your ACT/SAT standardized test scores printed on them, but that likely will NOT count, as it’s unofficial. It has be sent officially thru a separate score report.

@Roentgen Will scores/transcripts sent to UMKC in general also be used for the program?

@chocolatina1001, yes, they will be used for the combined program. You can see that here: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/admission-requirements-eligibility/.

That 5100 Rockhill address, in that link in my post above, is the address for the main university, in general. Once your general admission application to UMKC is approved for the undergraduate program, then it moves on to the medical school for further processing. If you don’t get approved for admission to the main university first, then your application to the BA/MD combined program is effectively halted.

Just as an FYI, almost everyone that is applying to the BA/MD program gets admitted to the main university, just because on average, the academic caliber of students that are applying to the BA/MD program is so high to begin with.

@Roentgen Thanks so much!

How important are sat subject tests for admission?

@Sona3599, SAT subject exams play no role in the UMKC BA/MD application process: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/admission-requirements-eligibility/ – “SAT subject exams are not used in the admissions process.”

I’ve been getting several PMs asking about the total tuition cost, as well as cost of attendance (this includes books and supplies, room and board, transportation, and personal expenses) for the UMKC BA/MD program. Here they are based on what is publicly available:

2015-2016 figures:

In-state (Missouri) resident
http://www.sfa.umkc.edu/site2/forms/coa/Resident-(BA-MD).pdf
Regional (Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska or Oklahoma)
http://www.sfa.umkc.edu/site2/forms/coa/Regional-(BA-MD).pdf
Out-of-State/non-resident
http://www.sfa.umkc.edu/site2/forms/coa/Non-Resident-(BA-MD).pdf

2016-2017 figures:
http://finaid.umkc.edu/health-professional/school-of-medicine/

In-state (Missouri) resident
Year 1 (2016-2017):
Tuition and Fees: $20,664
Room and Board: $10,616
Books and Supplies: $2,626
Personal: $3,308
Transportation: $710

Year 2 (2017-2018):
Tuition and Fees: $25,778
Room and Board: $14,155
Books and Supplies: $3,176
Transportation: $2,126

Years 3-6 (2017-2018, each year):
Tuition and Fees: $31,463
Room and Board: $12,688
Personal: $4,411
Transportation: $2,835

Regional (Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska or Oklahoma)
Year 1 (2016-2017):
Tuition and Fees: $30,280

Year 2 (2017-2018):
Tuition and Fees: $37,774

Tuition and Fees: $46,260

Out-of-State/non-resident
Year 1 (2016-2017):
Tuition and Fees: $39,898

Year 2 (2017-2018):
Tuition and Fees: $49,773

Tuition and Fees: $61,052

Hey, I am a student in philadelphia PA. I am applying to UMKC 6 year med school. I know my scores are nowhere near the score required to get in in. However, this is my reach school so I’m giving it a shot. I have taken multiple AP classes and honors classes. I’ve also been alot during my years of high school and have been through many family issues. Thats one reason my scores arent what they are. I am also a student athlete and a wrestling team captain with many achievements in wrestling.

GPA:3.5
Class Rank: school doesn’t rank

SAT score: 1000/1600
Act: not taken yet

Health related activities: Volunteering for about 2 years at Aria health Hospital

Shadowing doctors: 120 hours

Awards: Concerned Black Men scholarship for Outstanding achievement

My question is should I give it a shot and apply or do not apply at all ?

Hey @doody90,

So the average cumulative GPA of those entering the combined program was 3.8, with a range of 3.2 - 4.0. The average SAT score of those entering the program is 1380, with the minimum ACT to be considered for the BA/MD program being a 24 (which is a 1090 SAT): http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/admission-requirements-eligibility/. So based on your SAT score of 1000, which is below the minimum, you’d be likely filtered out in terms of being considered for the BA/MD program just bc of that minimum policy.

I’m completely sympathetic to family and life issues, and understand how it can greatly impact young people, their grades, & test scores. The question is at the admissions level, esp. at the BA/MD level, how that is taken into account. I’m not really sure of that answer honestly, as it’s much more “holistic” in terms of complete review, and that’s much harder to predict.

One thing I would try to address just on a general overall level is your standardized testing performance. The physician pathway (regardless of BA/MD or not bc at most, a BA/MD can potentially allow u to skip only 1 test, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things) specifically tends to have A LOT of standardized exams at baseline of which the MCAT is a measly exam compared to the others. Those standardized exams don’t just stop in medical school or even stop after residency (unfortunately). So I would work to improve on your academics, your study habits and study skills, standardized test taking skills, etc. Colleges/Universities now usually have centers that help students with these aspects. I think those are great resources to have and take advantage of.

Hello @Roentgen

Do We have to submit our AP and IB score to UMKC as well, or do they not regard them.

@littlemonster39, Nope, AP and IB scores are NOT looked at as part of the UMKC BA/MD admissions process, as it is currently right now (it’s a shame, as I think they’d be good to have, especially for those who go to tough high schools where their GPA might be lower, but who do really well on the AP or IB exam at the end of the year). They are used to obtain college credit AFTER you matriculate. The UMKC BA/MD program currently does not ask for SAT Subject Exams either.

That being said, I do advise people to take the AP Chemistry exam, if they’re taking the course as high school seniors. It can help with having a lot more flexibility in the Year 1/2 curriculum if they were to get accepted to the program (or you could take Gen Chem over the summer, but most people want to enjoy their last summer completely off before starting the program).

@Roentgen Hi, can you clarify if the essay question “How have you exhibited resiliency in an aspect of your life?” is referring to a particular time you showed resiliency or how you continuously showed resiliency in a part of your life? Is it asking for something that happened over a longer period of time?

Hi @chocolatina1001, I was hoping someone would eventually ask about this question!

In my interpretation of that question, it could be legitimately read/understood as either one - either a snapshot in which you showed resilience in a particular aspect of your life or a more continuous or long term one. The question isn’t really specific as to which one they may be referring to (this is under the assumption they’re only interested in one and not the other, which I don’t believe to be the case, just by reading the question). You could also call and legitimately ask because the question, in all honesty, really doesn’t specify one or the other.

“Resiliency” is a topic that is now (finally) of concern to medical educators both at the student, resident, attending level, due to what is now acknowledged to be high levels of stress and eventual burnout in the physician profession, in ways that applicants/students may not be able to really understand or wrap their minds around initially. That trend is likely to increase even more just based on current medical education trends as well as on a legislative level, which will greatly impact physicians and how they practice (i.e. Obamacare). It’s a topic that the AAMC is only recently starting to take seriously and address even though the problem has been there for quite a while. You can Google a combo of words like “burnout”, “resiliency”, “medical students”, “medical school”, “AAMC” and see all sort of links and even journal articles on the topic that define the word and expand on it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23442430. It’s even been sort of broached on by the NY Times although more peripherally: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/22/a-medical-school-more-like-hogwarts/.

This is a really great question to ask a medical school applicant, because medical school is inherently stressful in different ways and at different points (internship/residency even kicks that up a notch, or several notches, although in a different way from med school). This is across the student body, regardless of academic performance. As someone who was interviewing you for med school, I would want to know on a personal level: What are some experiences you’ve had so far in your life that were either a set back or a failure (and EVERYONE has had some type of set back or failure in their life)? How did you effectively bounce back from it? Now, why would I even care if I were a med school faculty member? Because med school is FILLED with those type of experiences of set back or failure (this is for all med students, and again it’s not just in the area of academics like you might think). It’s very Catch-22 because in many ways it can feel like that in order to get into medical school in the first place, you have to be “perfect”, which you were able to do so without much hiccup. So in medical school, in which you’ll no doubt go thru quite a few experiences of setback, if not sometimes outright failure (that you’ve maybe never had to deal with or encounter previously), it can be really defeating to your self-esteem or to your psyche, which is then where being able to effectively “bounce back” becomes important. Thus, having a baseline level of coping mechanism and an ability to bounce back without crumbling completely (which you can then build upon further as you grow) is important, both in med school & as a physician, as well as in life in general. So your answer to this resiliency question, gives me a better window into that.

Hope that makes sense as to what they are asking for (based on how I read it) and why that question was asked on a med school application.