UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@naive101 my take is different than @WGSK88
Even if race is a factor, I would rather prefer to have comprehensive education for my son then tied to rush, unless he has to run his parents established clinic.
Ofc finance can be a big factor. getting reward from high ranked UG would triumph over low tier direct med program. Just to put in personal perspective, my son didn’t make UMKC post-interview and he has following opportunities.

UMich (science college and generous offer)
Northwestern (science college and waiting for fin aid, expecting it to be generous as well)
SLU Med-Scholar (generous offer too)
UIUC (BioE)
GaTech (BME)
UIC Honors, Pre-Medicine

Wailisted are JHU, CaseWestern, UPenn.

Also I read it somewhere 95% of MDs are coming from traditional UG route.

My take is simple if you make it to UPenn caliber school, fear of getting into med school after UG is non-existent (ofc MCAT and other hard work has to be done, well which profession doesn’t demand that?) as your capabilities are already went through scrutiny and so no matter which college you go, doors would be open for you after UG as well.

just to add on last post…
Personally not scared of challenges so weed out fear is last thing I would consider for my son (he has similar mindset). Its very simple what you trust more, your instincts in your capabilities or a fear factor.

@PPofEngrDr - Respect your view! Also if one is not sure about Med School then the combined program is not the way to go!

Regarding SLU Med-Scholar make sure you understand their Med School is in probation since 2016. They are trying to fulfill 20 or so issues pointed by LCME. Hopefully they will come out and survive. Also, I was told about half of the SLU Med-Scholars don’t make it to the MD part due to 3.7 GPA requirement (Unless things have changed in the last 2 years). We didn’t apply to SLU program last year due to various negatives we heard.

Currently UMKC med school is in the process of LCME accreditation and decision is due on Aug 1, 2018 by LCME. I was told it’s going to be fine for UMKC Med School!

@WGSK88 that is the beauty of CC, parents from different backgrounds can provide different take on their experience and it helps tremendously others for their own circumstances.
I can completely understand how difficult it was last year for you when SLU probation news came out and you have to make decision and security, believe compare to last year SLU has made already good process and they are confident to be off probation this fall, well ahead of deadline of next year summer. Personally we also like SLU campus and it was positive experience during few visits, last during presidential scholarship interview weekend. Overall we have very good experience with SLU then UMKC, knowing we know 2 SLU current freshman, one from same high school as my son and med-scholar, presidential scholarship recipient, 2nd in engineering. For UMKC also we knew 2 freshman same high school as my son.
In our case based on my son credentials and passion, we are confident that if he picks SLU Med-Scholar he would be successful to get into SOM. Only problem I am debating is would it be worth tot tie to a single SOM or choose another high profile UG like Northwestern, UMich and then get into SOM and that UG 4 years gives you more time to fine tune your medical field interest.
It is tough to admit for us that somehow our UMKC experience from day one is on wrong side, communication between different entities of UMKC (especially regular school and school of medicine) is strange enough that as a parent you almost get a feeling that right hand doesn’t know what left hand is doing. Even interview day it feels like little disorganized the way they split families and kids and in afternoon kinda leave parents to their own while kids are occupied for interview/Toledo chemistry test.
During all visits to UMKC somehow it always feels that answers are not straight rather more 50K thousand feet view and that doesn’t help families who are not from medical background. You kinda get sense whole information is not being shared and something is being hidden from you. It may sound funny but during interview day the financial director was dressed like a half cowboy person and that was a worst presentation I have seen for any fin aid, one page slide <5 minutes talk, and that suggest me that it is a more like discouragement to families.
I just shared how I felt and nothing against any individual or organization or don’t want to sound like sour grape because my son didn’t get an admission.

@PPofEngrDr about the medical scholar program at SLU, We did some research as it was my kid’s backup (we live a few miles from SLU, know lots kids in this program). It is a viable path to medical school. About 80-90 kids enroll in this program every year, among them, 30 and 43 kids matriculated to SLU medical school 2016 and 2017 respectively. Meet 3.7 GPA is not a guarantee for matriculation. One has to build a good resume (shadow, clinical experience, research , etc.) PLUS pass medical school interview. Hope this helps. Good luck!

@naive101

Ok, so quite a few reply responses from @WGSK88, @PPofEngrDr, so I’ll try to hit on some points in their posts as well as the original post.

So I genuinely deep down think if you’re smart enough to get into an undergraduate institution like Penn, you’re smart enough w/a good work ethic & focus to get into a U.S. allopathic medical school thru the traditional 4+4 route (at Penn or another undergrad), whether that’s going back to your state’s allopathic medical school at KU Med or even possibly gaining admission to a more prestigious medical school (a lot of these latter schools have students from very high caliber undergrads). I myself, when I was asked the question previously in the thread, said that if I had to do it all over again, I would not have done the 6 year program, but gone the traditional route: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19812945#Comment_19812945

Does that mean your child should go to Penn for undergrad? That’s a hard question for me to answer. Harder undergrads are given more leeway in med school admissions, UP UNTIL A POINT. Most medical schools in admissions do make a distinction between different undergrads when comparing cumulative and BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math) GPAs. That’s bc obviously different undergrads have different rigor. This is a good start that discusses this question:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvz8JFH71BI
  2. https://www.prospectivedoctor.com/does-undergraduate-reputation-matter-for-admissions/

By the way, this is all assuming that your child doesn’t change his mind and go for another career that may be healthcare related (i.e. PA, DNP, MBA healthcare administration, etc.) or not at all healthcare related. I realize this is College Confidential where people have been planning things since they were 5 years old, but you’ll see very much that life isn’t as it seems when it comes to careers, so obviously in that type of possibility, going to Penn would probably be a huge positive). You can see a scenario here of someone who started at UMKC’s BA/MD program convinced of wanting to be a practicing physician, left the program, and went into the healthcare administration/corporate world as she liked that aspect of healthcare more: https://info.umkc.edu/umkcstory/slesha-patel/.

In terms of UPenn’s stats on med school admissions, it depends on if applying as a non-senior is a voluntary thing or not. It wouldn’t shock me that a sizable percentage of students at UPenn might take a year off to do research and apply for med school during that year (although clear it is not a majority). Another thing, don’t choose schools based off of perceived salaries/reimbursement/primary care vs. non-primary care, etc. Reimbursement for medical services, compensation, etc. can easily change at the tip of a hat (this advice serves well when choosing a medical specialty in med school also).

One thing I will say w/regards to 4 year colleges, don’t choose undergraduate schools based SOLELY on name recognition (not saying it shouldn’t be a factor, just that it shouldn’t be the only factor driving your decision vs. other reasons: financial aid, academic caliber, resources available, student body, environment, etc.). You want to go to a place in which you think you can get a comprehensive, well-rounded education & in a place where you think you can thrive and be happy. You don’t want to be at a place where you’re always miserable and constantly homesick. It’s not great for your mental health and thus can affect your academics.

Just an observation from me, but in terms of what I’ve seen, those who choose a Bachelor/MD program solely because of skipping the MCAT or saving 1-2 years tend to be highly disappointed in the end. Why? One is the compromises you have to make in doing such a program when it comes to the undergraduate school caliber and undergraduate experience. The second is because the nature of the beast in the pathway through medical school, is that you have quite a few standardized exams. The MCAT is just one of many exams you taken and you’ll take exams that are much more higher stakes as you progress through medical school, both in courses and standardized. So skipping one standardized exam is not some huge thing in the process.

I do think that parents and applicants on average (especially on College Confidential) tend to HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY overestimate medical school admissions making it seem like it is this insurmountable task which is skewed even more with anecdotal evidence w/o having the full application file of the person(s). Keep in mind that most medical students (and physicians for that matter) are traditional pathway students. They do not do Bachelor/MD programs. It’s very much an alternative and is not a pathway that is endorsed by the AAMC as “better” or that has better outcomes.

As far as “Does the traditional vs BA-MD route matter SIGNIFICANTLY in the end, in terms of your OUTCOMES as a doc?” In terms of outcomes as a graduating and practicing physician, no, there isn’t this huge difference in outcomes.

Hopefully that clears some things up, if I missed something, let me know.

I couldn’t agree more with @Roentgen, the fear not getting into medical school has been amplified so much from one or two isolated cases. Yes, it is harder and harder for the process. But I would rather to have my kid go to the school she feel happy and willing to study hard for her goal, rather than pushing her into the “guaranteed” place she doesn’t really like and fell miserable.

@netospin, thanks!!! I’ve just seen way too many instances personally, in which people ended up choosing the UMKC BA/MD program for reasons that when all is said and done, weren’t good reasons (although you won’t know this at the time when you’re 18) & those students were outright miserable nearly the entire time they were there (assuming they didn’t eventually leave the program).

And often those reasons would be for more superficial reasons, for example, like “I graduate in 6 years!” (ok, but if it was 7/8 years would you still want to go there? If you were to extend in the program, would you all of a sudden not like it anymore or feel it was a waste?) or “I don’t have to take the MCAT!” (ok, but then you take harder standardized exams like USMLE Step 1 and 2, which are much higher stakes than the MCAT, & which the MCAT sort of prepares you for, in terms of standardized test taking ability) or they’re just so very very scared/paranoid/paralyzed from the traditional medical school admissions process (based on anecdotes) that they feel they have no choice but to do this program, as a sort of “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” decision.

I think often there are students coming in who see the UMKC BA/MD program itself as only a means to an end (https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/a-means-to-an-end), where they might not normally choose it, but due to the no MCAT and fear of the med school admissions process aspect, they feel compelled to go, or feel like they’re giving up a huge opportunity that will never come back, or they feel like they may be letting their parents down by turning it down, etc.

I understand all those pressures and stresses that can impact a decision like this, so I hope to at least help in sort of giving a 20,000 feet perspective, while students and parents are deciding in this next month before May 1, so that regardless of the decision that was made, people feel like it was a more informed decision.

Hi Roentgen! I was recently admitted into the BA/MD program at UMKC and I have been reading all of your post. I really do want a traditional college experience, but I am worried that I will not get into medical school as I am not the best at standardized testing and I am not sure what I would major in. I would be going to the University of Georgia if I went the traditional route and I am conflicted between going into a major that is specifically pre-med like psychology, sociology etc or picking a major with pre-med requirements as a backup incase I do not get into med school. Would you recommend going the traditional route or UMKC? I have a 4.7 weighted GPA in the IB program, a 1520 SAT and UMKC is the only combined program that I got into. The lack of breaks/summers is very unappealing to me but the fact that there is no mcat and a relatively low GPA requirement is the appealing part to me. Please provide some insight! I would really appreciate it. Private message me if it is easier. Thank you :slight_smile:

@Roentgen sorry I forgot to tag you. Please refer to the post above!

@reuh17, based on your post, I’m guessing you’re in the out-of-state applicant pool, is that correct? I don’t want to make the wrong assumption, as people can go anywhere for college. If you are out-of-state, is the finances of the program an issue?

Hi, I was just accepted into the UMKC BA/MD program. I am most probably going to accept, and I was wondering if there is some chat/ Facebook group out there for everyone who has been accepted this year? I know there is one for Brown and one for SLU, so I’m hoping there is one for UMKC as well!

@mmcure00 Congrats! Yes, please logon to your med school portal and you would see the peer mentors as well as the admitted students FB page/chat group (note - not only accepted students but all who were offered can join and chat and get feed back from the peer mentors).

Hey @mmcure00,

So in the past years, UMKC School of Medicine has made an official Facebook group page for that specific incoming Year 1 class for people to join for those who got acceptances. It was usually immediately after decisions were given out, so people who got an acceptance, around end of March/beginning of April. However, in the past year or two, they’ve only made the group after May 1st, once people have agreed to matriculate & then start adding people. So for example, for this incoming Year 1 class, the name of the group would be “UMKC School of Medicine: Class of 2024”.

In the past, some smartie incoming Year 1 in the 2022 class came up with the idea that in the meantime to use GroupMe (Google it as CC won’t allow me to paste it in here), which is a group text messaging app and that person either posted the direct link here in the College Confidential thread or posted about looking up the group on that app, and then you can join and the administrator of that group can let people in.

Edit: I see @WGSK88’s post above, so you can ignore what I just wrote here. It looks like the school has already created the FB 2024 page.

@WGSK88 @Roentgen Thank you, I’ll check those pages out!

@Roentgen @WGSK88 @PPofEngrDr : Can anybody speak to what primary care / family physicians REALISTICALLY make after graduating from second tier programs like UMKC? Have found wildly different and confusing numbers online. I am trying to project a “worst case” ROI scenario for the costs incurred. Thanks!

@Roentgen @WGSK88 @PPofEngrDr : On a different note, spoke to a current student at UMKC and they spoke very well of the program/ support. It was nice to see their enthusiasm and liking for the school, somewhat biased as it might be.

@naive101,

So just as an FYI, once you finish residency, your salary won’t be based off of where you went to medical school by that point. That’s usually not how it works. There are a lot of factors that go into salary: geographic location, part-time vs. full-time, private practice vs. hospital, etc. The salary for each specialty can have huge ranges so averages aren’t that realistic just bc you can have outliers that skew that average, since it’s all survey data (w/upsides and downsides of using survey data, in general, in studies).

I would use this as salary: https://students-residents.aamc.org/choosing-medical-career/article/you-can-afford-medical-school/ - “The 2015 median starting salary for Internal Medicine (first year post residency): $185,000**”. So this is after 3 years of Internal Medicine (and assuming you don’t want to do a subspecialty fellowship which is 2-3 years more, depending on the subspecialty: https://www.uwmedicine.org/education/Pages/specialties-subspecialties.aspx). So I would use that 185K number in any calculations you’re making, just to keep it simple (this doesn’t include benefits, bonuses, etc.)

Keep in mind that what is usually called “fee-for-service” medicine likely will not exist in the same form as it is now, by the time your son/daughter practices: https://www.managedcaremag.com/archives/2017/9/fee-service-dead-long-live-fee-service. Forces are now in place to try to decrease govt. healthcare costs, so that means decreased reimbursement for healthcare services (thru Medicare and Medicaid which then impacts private insurance) that don’t have an outcomes component in place in terms of determining reimbursement. So specialties that are benefiting from the way the system is now (more procedural based specialties) may not do so later, and specialties that aren’t benefiting from the way the system is now, may do so later. Things in medicine are very cyclical (as they always have been). Just way too many things up in the air to know this information now in terms of how it will change.

Here is my advice and how to go about it when it comes to asking current UMKC BA/MD students and UMKC BA/MD alumni:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19349052/#Comment_19349052.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19349069/#Comment_19349069

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19349070/#Comment_19349070

Ask a variety of people which you can probably easily find thru Facebook UMKC BA/MD class groups or thru university email directories of UMKC alumni (for those who have gone into academic medicine) who have graduated from the program which you can see from previous match lists which are posted in this thread.

No disrespect to the Peer Mentors (likely to be current Year 1s who will be Year 2s when you start although they may have some in older years but I’m not sure), but these are students who are chosen by the school. Just in terms of selection bias, they’re not going to choose someone who clearly hates the program. I’m not saying don’t listen to them, as they will be very much helpful to you (esp. when it comes to logistics) but ask a variety of people.

Hello @Roentgen - Any thoughts on UMKC match list for 2018? Is the trend for the better or for the worse over the last few years, in your opinion?
http://med.umkc.edu/sa/match-day-2018/

Hey @naive101,

I’ll be working on the match list analysis for 2018 by/thru this weekend. You can see my analyses in the prior years in the meantime.

2017: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/20551641#Comment_20551641 (Parts 1-3)

2016: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19480193#Comment_19480193 (Parts 1-3)