UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@khalilramy, I think that would! I would also include that career shift in your personal statement for what motivates you to pursue a career in medicine as well, just so the reader has that in mind in terms of your thought process.

Here is a blog about the program - https://sixyearmedsecrets.■■■■■■■■■■■/website/blog/there-is-no-starting-over-without-finding-closure-1

Hello everyone,

I am a former student from the one and only six year ba/md program in the U.S. I started a blog to talk about my negative experiences in this program and why I would not recommend such a program to anyone. I posted screenshots of the class of 2022 GroupMe chat to my blog of students cursing and making derogatory comments towards faculty members. Students used racial remarks as well, using the n-word. While I would like to respect students’ privacy, I want everyone to be aware that this six year ba/md program is very toxic. As a former student from the class of 2022, I was disappointed with the unprofessionalism I witnessed. Please reach out to me for more information, questions, or proof of how toxic this program and many of its students are. Thank you!

@puplover3 Thanks for your feedback. Is this program toxic because of professors or because of some students?

Definitely both, but I was a member of the class of 2022, which seems to have a reputation for unprofessionalism - the dean spoke to that class on two occasions regarding unprofessional behavior. It is also honestly toxic because of all the policies and rules they make up as they go. In case I decide to take legal action down the road, I took screenshots of everything students and professors have said about the program. I was a student who extended in the program due to medical reasons so I had to join the alternate program. Students in the alternate program take extra undergraduate courses together. In one chemistry undergraduate course in which we had to do a reflection, quite a few alternate program students mentioned things like:
“At the start of my career, I wish someone would have explained to me better everything that being in the 6-year program would entail. I think that this program is very glorified when talked about and no one talks about the more difficult aspects of it”
“There are certain technicalities that i would have liked to have known before starting the medical program. But other than a few minor details, I feel was well informed and I cannot complain about my time.”
“I wish that when I started the medical program here at UMKC I had a little more information about the program and all of its different aspects. I don’t think it was a bad thing for me but it would have been nice to have been more informed on program I was starting.”

These are all part of reflections written by students from the alternate program in a random chemistry course we took. I mentioned that I took screenshots of those students’ posts on blackboard to the school and was definitely going to make it a part of my case if I take legal action. Ironically, literally the next day I went on Blackboard, the course was deleted, so no one could access those posts written by students in the program themselves. I expected no less than that, but I hope those students’ concerns were at least addressed.

The students are toxic in the way that several of them are very aggressive and more competitive than premed students in my opinion. The atmosphere has more of “all for myself” vibes. I have seen students with many successful friends fail and extend. There is definitely a lack of support from peers and I found most students to be selfish, which is not how I am at all. Anytime someone came to me struggling, I was always willing to study with them, quiz each other, etc. The same can not be said for most students. Also, I was a transfer into the program, so I did a year as a premed and I can honestly say, I had far more support at the university I attended before UMKC. There are several online collaborative premed support groups, clubs, and organizations for all premedical students that offer lots of support and advice on how to succeed as a premed and get in to the medical school of your choice. In this program, the only sort of support you can expect to maybe receive from upper year students is resources such as old tests and quizzes. Students deny that cheating occurs, yet I got several messages on my blog in which students accused me of using old tests for summer orgo. This is also ironic because I did not even take summer orgo! Nevertheless, I am sure there must be a way to track down that student’s ip address and report that student for cheating. At this point, I have not decided if I am going to file a complaint with the LCME or wait until I can afford to hire a lawyer. I emailed several top members of the LCME and they actually replied to me immediately, but mentioned to me that they would not necessarily be able to keep my information confidential, which is a concern. The lawsuit that is currently going on also involves a student who was in alternate program and was basically screwed over. I want to wait and see how his case works out. It was moved to federal court for June 1 (this whole process took the poor guy more than a year- https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2018/09/11/umkc-med-racketeering-fraud-lawsuit-response.html).

It would be very wrong of me to say all the professors are toxic because that is most definitely not true. The first year professors are definitely an asset to this program and that is probably why very few students extend during the first year. During the first year, I had no problems scheduling to meet with professors or ask questions. During the second year, it does not seem like the professors do everything they should be doing to help a student succeed. As an extended student, I was also often told, “this time around professor x is so nice and willing to meet with you to go over material and anything you are struggling with.” My question is, why does one have to fail or extend to be able to get more help from professors? I found this very strange. You don’t get tests back starting second year and I found it hard to study for classes like Biochem because there are very few practice questions provided that are similar to the exam format (long patient scenarios). The biochem professor also tells students questions are never repeated, but they very much are. Since cheating is an issue, this obviously results in unfair grade inflation. I actually remember after the first exam, several beta and chi omega members (greek life known for saving and distributing old exams) were boasting about how they had to at least get an A. I actually had a few friends from a different sorority, Alpha delta pi, who mentioned to me that several first year students asked about resources and old exams during recruitment, so they were sent to chi omega (sorority known for collecting and distributing old tests among members). I have family members who currently attend medical school, and I have asked them if their schools are similar to umkc. After hearing about their schools, I realized I made a big mistake in transferring to the six year med program. One of my siblings attends a state medical school that is definitely top ranked compared to umkc. At my sibling’s school, professors are very accommodating. My sibling’s school is actually pass/fail. On the first exam, some students did not score high enough to receive a passing score, so the school decreased what would qualify as a passing score, so all the first year students could move forward. Obviously, my sibling’s school is very accommodating and clearly wants all its students to succeed, which I truly admire. In my opinion, UMKC SOM could care less whether you succeed or not. They will cover their bases and make it look like they are reaching out to you and providing assistance by letting you know about study sessions, academic assistance coordinators, tutors, etc, but in reality, it makes no difference to them if you fail out. If a student extends or fails out, that student’s seat opens up for a MD student. Financially, it actually benefits the school if more students extend, but stay in the program because they can accept more MD students and keep the students who extended. I counted 27 total students from the class of 2022 who extended. It is not very hard to find out how many students extend because they post pictures of all the ceremonies on facebook. If a student was present at indoctrination but not present at the white coat ceremony, that student possibly extended, withdrew, or both.

@DSOF20192023 I have no idea who you are, but if you are a prospective student, think wisely before joining this program and read the handbook. Going off of a list made by @Roentgen in another thread, I could give you several reasons why I would never recommend this program or any combined direct medical program. I could come up with at least 20 reasons why I would never recommend this program, but to each their own! Good luck!

Hi @Roentgen (and any other UMKC students/allumni). I’m an OOS applicant and I was wondering when you received interview & admissions decisions. Also, if you could describe the interview process, I’d greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

@elarson012 Usually interviews are emailed around middle of January and interviews conducted with 4 days option around close to Middle of February with the exception last year due to system glitch they did it in 2 sets of 2 days in the middle and end of February. Results are emailed including waiting list notifications around March 24! Interview is a day long process. It will be split into 2 groups of students with one group taking the Toledo Chemistry test and other doing the multiple mini interviews (refer to lot of posting regarding this in this thread) in the morning and vice versa after the lunch. Note Toledo Chemistry test result will not be used for admission criteria. If one doesn’t score the required minimum and get admitted to the program they have to take Chemistry course during Summer of 2019 before they start the program in August. Good luck to all Class of 2025 applicants including my son!

Hey @elarson012,

If you look on the admissions website, it says that you’ll receive notice of when you get an interview in January and offers of admission are extended April 1 (although in past years it’s been about a week before that April 1 official national date that all colleges have to give decisions by):
http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/timeline/

The interview is in Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) format. You can find more information about that here:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/20305174#Comment_20305174

Thanks @Roentgen and @WGSK88!

How should one prepare for the Toledo Chemistry exam?

@ZacharyGelfond No special preparation is necessary for the Toledo Chemistry exam. As long as one has taken basic Chemistry course in High School they should do fine.

If I have taken AP Chemistry, should I be okay? Is it based on General Chemistry 1? Additionally is the exam meant to place you out of General Chemistry 1 or a basic highschool preparatory course? Thank you for all of your help.

Thanks @Roentgen and @WGSK88 for the helpful info…appreciate it

Hey @ZacharyGelfond,

It tests you on basic high school chemistry at the 10th grade level. If you’re in AP Chemistry, you’re more than fine. You can see more information here: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19165698#Comment_19165698

What are the dorms like? Do you only live with students in the BA/MD program?

Anybody still have red check mark with Gen App processed…should it be taking this long…TIA

@elarson012 - Yes most of the BA/MD students live in the same floor (sections) of the dormitory and they are roomed together. If you don’t choose a room-mate preference the School assigns you with the other BA/MD students. If you opt for quad occupancy (2 in adjacent rooms with common bathroom for all 4.) The sink is outside the bathroom in each of these rooms. Most share quad occupancy. You share a good sized fridge with the other roommate. They had to rebuild some of the dorm rooms later last year (2017) and beginning of this year as there was a water leak accident that damaged the rooms. There are also good set of common study rooms in the dorm which my daughter (Class of 2023) used it often.

@Bond99 - If you are concerned call the UMKC’s General admissions office as well as SOM and make sure your application is complete. My son submitted the General application by Oct 7th and within a week his application was processed.

1 Like

Hey, @elarson012, I have nothing to add to what @wgsk88 said besides the fact that you’re required to stay in the dorms the first year of the BA/MD program, so the Fall and then Spring. After that, everyone usually moves out to apartments/condos/etc., as your schedule tends to shift more and more to the Hospital Hill campus (esp. the second half of Year 2) vs. the undergraduate Volker campus for the most part.

@Bond99 Even my D application “General University App Processed” Application Status shows red exclamation in UMKC School of Medicine web site. Last week when my D sent email (through their web site), they replied

“According to our records, your General Application is still processing. The General Application will not mark as received until it is processed. We appreciate your patience in the meantime!”

We submitted application on Oct 31st.