UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

skiallday - you have unique powers of observation. if you’d like, i could start cc-ing you on all of my e-mails to various school so you can follow my college admissions more closely…but i’m sure the folks at UMKC can respect the fact that I was keeping a private decision private.

…burn

i know that alot of different factors go into account when it comes to admissions but in general what do you think the chance is for me to get in with an act of 32 and a weighted gpa of 4.3?
my sister had a weighted 4.5 as well as many other positive factors but she was rejected!
does umkc really admit you if you show convinction and passion in an interview?

aliassa: are the two of you in state or out of state? i’m not sure if they’re becoming more choosey on stats, but I was accepted (I’m a Year 3 now) with a higher GPA but lower test score in comparison to yours. But again, like you mentioned, there are a lot of other factors that come into play-- how much clinical experience do you have? research experience? is it blatant that you’re dedicated to the field of medicine? are you mature enough for the program?

are you a junior in high school? if so, i recommend visiting the school and setting up a tour/appointment with Ms. Morgenegg to see your chances of getting in.

Hey guys… I’m a high school junior, and I’m extremely interested in this program… What are my chances of getting in? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Stats:
ACT: 30
GPA: 3.86/4.00

Current AP Classes:
AP European History
AP Chemistry

Future AP Classes:
AP Biology
AP Calculus
AP French

Extra Curriculars:
150+ hours of volunteer work at a local hospital
Active in religious community (Sunday School, Tri-Faith)
NHS
Honor Council
Headmaster’s Honor Roll list (All three years so far)
National Forensics League member/Varsity letter
Academic Decathlon
Cross-Age helper with an elementary school French class

*Going to shadow a couple of doctors this summer

Miscellaneous:
-Both parents are doctors
-Minority
-OOS
-I’ve known I’ve wanted to be a doctor since I was a kid (Very passionate about science! lol)

Oh and I also had a question about the deadline for the application. I was on their website and I read that UMKC prefers that applicants submit their forms by August? Do most people send their applications in that early?

<ul>
<li>Can’t wait for this year to be over! -</li>
</ul>

It’s all about getting the interview and then showing your interest/personality then because I had the same stats, give or take a few EC’s and similar GPA, but your stats are GOOD ENOUGH to apply, but I would suggest retaking ACT and trying to get 32. Most BS/MD programs are getting tougher and tougher but BS/DO programs will accept you without a doubt. (I’m assuming you know a DO is equivalent to MD except DO’s philosophies differ with OMT and holistic attitude.) I just think students need to widen their perspectives about medicine besides just narrowing in on BS/MD, because yes def apply, but also look into BS/DO program-which you will surely get into and GOOD premed universities like WashU, NU, Emory…

Good luck:)

Yup, I’m retaking the ACT in June :slight_smile:

Thanks for your feedback!

desi red: given that you are out of state i would recommend you study hard for that ACT of yours. since they recently lowered the tuition i would think the selection process will become more competitive than it has been in the past (the class of 2013 has about 130 people in it because they admitted too many, so expect them to clamp down in the future).

application date…when i applied the due date was november 15th. i submitted it in person on that afternoon, and i’m a second year now, so i suppose they didn’t mind. if you can i would try to take more AP classes, as they like that a lot (i took 6 as a senior and 4 as a junior). make sure you do well on the AP tests as well.

150 hours of volunteer work is nice but i did that in one summer so i would try to step that up as well, unless your shadowing/other volunteer work compensates.

the one thing i would really suggest anyone do is to be able to justify why you did each and every EC. i was grilled on this by one of my interviewers, and luckily i was able to deal with it well, but many others did not, because many of their ECs were straight app padding and they didn’t actually know anything about them.

i would also suggest you keep up to date on not just medical news, but world news as well. i talked with my second interviewer for an hour about globalization and outsourcing, after we got through the “what do you think about abortion, and what are your other political views?” minefield. it’s good to carry on an actual conversation with your interviewer because then you can make something like this happen:
prospective student: so how would you compare umkc with x college (noting diploma on wall from x college)
interviewer: well they’re both good schools but i think you should come to umkc because (insert sales pitch)

minority status…i would infer from your user id that you are some sort of indian, pakistani, etc. in this program that means you are by no means a minority. the stats for my class were something like 48% asian, and we have maybe 3 oriental people…the rest are brown. i am indian myself and was shocked to see how many there were.

coldg44: are you oos

cookiefairy; The brochures all say dual BA/MD dergree but when i got to the interview I was told it was a Bachelor of Liberal Arts which only takes (0 hrs instead of 120. How hard is it to ge a BA or BS and what are the advantages or are there any?

cookiefairy: oops I meant BLA takes 90 (not 0) and BS or BA takes 120

Hybrid_kid: Most of us (including me) are working towards a BLA, which I personally prefer as I came here to get a medical degree, but if its important to you to get a different bachelors, its possible and you should go for it.

I would only recommend going for something other than a BLA to someone who is coming in with a lot of credits already (including chem 1 & 2), and is willing to take extra courses, maybe even during your very few breaks.

Realize that going for a degree other than BLA will involve a lot of work on top of your already required and more important & demanding science courses-- not just course work but also convincing and petitioning and doing your own research to ensure you’re completing all of the requirements needed for the degree you want and will be able to in the alotted 5 semesters that you get to work on your bachelors. All of this is NOT to discourage you from doing this, just to help you realize some of the work that will be involved. But please don’t only take my word for it; try to find and talk to someone who has majored is something other than BLA and ask them about the experience and see if its something you want to do.

Hybrid Kid: Yea I’m OOS. How about you?

i am instate and accepted how about you?

OH AND BY THE WAY: for everyone’s information there is a group on facebook for evryone who is accepted and going to UMKC.

post your stats if you got in off waitlist

cookiefairy: I was just wondering what the difference was and if there was a reason to go for the BS. If it doesn’t help w/ residency matching or anything it seems like alot of extra work. Thanks for all the other helpful posts and great info.

I don’t really think your bachelors really affects where you match for residency (more important would be your step 1 score, whether you graduate with honors, have performed some outstanding research, do well on rotation you want to specialize in, and if you have good recommendations). I really think your bachelors is more crucial for when you apply to medical school, but if you’re going into this program, you’re already IN medical school, so the bachelors degree is not very important in my opinion.

Thanks again for the info. I know we are supposed to stay in the dorms for a certain amount of time. Do most upperclassmen move off campus later

Hi CookieFairy! I have a few questions about the program. During what years do you take the three USMLE exams? Also, do you have to take Calculus as a Year 1?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hybrid_kid: yes, most upperclassmen have moved off campus as soon as possible; but i’m not sure if things are going to change with the new Oak Place Apartments (these are university apartments, not dorms, and they are across from the street from the dorms you’ll be living in) opening up soon.

rwishka: you take usmle step 1 your 4th year. I believe usmle step 2 is either year 5 or 6, and finally usmle step 3 is at the end of your first year of residency.

no calculus needed. unless you’re planning on majoring in math or something.