Ummm....

<p>I thought this post encapsulates well my problems with UA’s recent land management decisions:</p>

<p>For those who still don’t seem to understand why the UA land purchases are unwelcomed: Just take a look at The Strip. It’s retail spaces are strictly leasing management offices. Come on, do these offices really need all this space? Seems like they could remain on-site of their properties anyway. They could bundle this info in ‘new student info packets.’ In my undergraduate years, The Strip offered many diverse businesses I continued to frequent many years later. Most businesses were started by alumni and then shut down by their alma mater. What a shame, I say. The UA’s interest is growing it’s business. To do this, it must provide housing first. Why wouldn’t UA buy up property now? It would come at a much cheaper cost now than to wait until they have to buy out thriving businesses later. My fear is Alberta will become student housing AND leasing offices…</p>

<p>UA has asked for and received proposals for those strip properties. They are sorting through them now and will choose the one’s they feel will enhance the surrounding UA community the best. If you read the article I linked about Zoes Kitchen you’ll see this talked about on there.</p>

<p>The fact is the Strip was being overrun with bars and restaurants that didn’t want to do anything to spruce up their image or that of The University.</p>

<p>I hope they at least pick some good places to eat to fill the spots, and not more leasing offices. I was so sad when Lai Lai’s went bye-bye from the Strip. I understand why they did it, but I don’t have to be happy about it.</p>

<p>*It’s retail spaces are strictly leasing management offices. Come on, do these offices really need all this space? *</p>

<p>We may not be privy to the “back story” or plan.</p>

<p>If Bama’s goal is to have that area redeveloped as a major hotel/restaurant master plan, then temporarily renting those spaces to these kinds of businesses makes sense. If the plan is that these leases to management offices are short-term, then they make good business sense. </p>

<p>If the plan is that in 12-18 months a major project will commence, then a regular business (restaurant, store) really couldn’t set up shop there. It makes sense for Bama to lease to short-term concerns that can easily set up shop with minimal start-up costs that can easily relocate elsewhere when their leases expire.</p>

<p>My beef is with the university getting into the real estate and development business. The only business the university needs to be in are those dictated by its mission statement.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Teaching, Research and Service. Those are the primary missions of the University, which is why those words are on the university seal. (Football is the unofficial fourth mission, but that’s for another thread. ;)) Nowhere did I see “private real estate development” in there.</p>