UMN or UW-Madison?

<p>I just visited both campuses and although madison is smaller I did not like it as much as I thought I would. The buildings are spread out and you have to cross many busy roads, even more so than in Minnesota. Althoush Minnesota is in a big city, it feels much more compact. Also I thought most of the Wisonsin buildings were not as high quality as those in minnesota. I did like the lakes and the capital in wisconsin, but overall I think I like the Minnesota campus better. Also, Minnesota is connected through underground tunnel systems which is nice. Besides the lakes and capital, I also thought that Madison wasn’t that good looking. I felt that minnesota had nicer plant life throughout. Madison does have better academics but not by much. Does anyone know the difference in their biomedical engineering programs? Still don’t know which one I’ll go to, also thinking Michigan and Northwestern, but Minnesota and Wisonsin are much cheaper.</p>

<p>I know this is outdated (1995), but I couldn’t find a source this specific (maybe the USNEWS? Idk). But, the NRC Rankings for Biomed. Engineering has Minnesota 18th and Wisconsin unranked.</p>

<p>[NRC</a> Rankings in Biomedical Eng](<a href=“http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~jnewton/nrc_rankings/area20.html]NRC”>NRC Rankings in Biomedical Eng)</p>

<p>I hope someone else can find you more current information.</p>

<p>If I were you I would choose Minnesota or Madison over Northwestern or UMich (unless they give you spectacular Financial Aid) just because of the price difference. But, visit all and go from there!</p>

<p>UW’s bioeng department is fairly new–but good.</p>

<p>[Welcome</a> to our department](<a href=“http://www.engr.wisc.edu/bme/overview.html]Welcome”>http://www.engr.wisc.edu/bme/overview.html)</p>

<p>Thanks guys. I have also looked online for biomedical rankings but they are really hard to find. I need to try to find some insiders so I can compare the programs in depth. At my Wisconsin visit they said biomedical engineering was the most competitive engineering program at the school. They only had like 150 people in the program and it is the most popular engineering program with women. I also know that Minnesota plans to build 5 biomedical type buildings in the next 10 years. Lots more research to do.</p>

<p>The continuing debate of U of M or UW… You will find Wisconsin HS seniors passionately choosing one over the other and Minnesota residents at UW passionate about their choice. The issue splits best friends from HS, choosing a college over being with friends. There are also those accepted at one and not the other. This IS the UW board so the winner is UW, of course…</p>

<p>Realistically, a lot depends on your proposed major and feeling you can get into it at one or the other school. The best fit is best for you. Sometimes it can be a coin toss decision- both can work well for many. Make a list of your priorities and see if one or the other meets more criteria for you. Allow room for the intangible “gut” feeling that one is better for you.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I just got back from my Minnesota visit, and although I liked it a lot, I just liked Madison better. It didn’t really come down to one specific factor, I liked both campuses about equally, the academics are comparable for my major, etc. I did like the dorms at Minnesota more, but it came down to the gut feeling like wis75 said and for me it said Madison.</p>

<p>We love you Shanna. Congrats.</p>

<p>That’s creepy</p>

<p>We love anyone that picks UW–especially over the Minnesota Goofers.</p>

<p>The Minnesota Golden Gophers are the sworn enemy of the Wisconsin Badgers. The annual battle for the Axe is one of the hardest fought games every year. Don’t be such a putz. It’s all in good clean fun. But UW does rule.</p>

<p>[Battle</a> for Paul Bunyan’s Axe: Minnesota Gophers Vs Wisconsin Badgers | Bleacher Report](<a href=“Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe: Minnesota Gophers Vs Wisconsin Badgers | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report”>Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe: Minnesota Gophers Vs Wisconsin Badgers | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report)</p>

<p>Yes I’m well aware of the rivalry (I’ve lived in Sconnie all my life and attend UMN). But, there’s a difference between poking a little fun through the rivalry and constantly trying to turn every single high school senior into a Badger. Learn to let the individual choose for what is right to them instead of using a smear campaign against other schools (and I’m not just referring to Minnesota). Tell the individual the pro’s and con’s of your school. Don’t be a used car salesman and not point out the worn tires or failing alternator. In all of your postings I have never seen you point out a single flaw about the UW or city of Madison. I know for a fact Madison is not God’s gift to the Midwest or the university is the best public in the world with students that are the class of the Midwest and East Coast. Each school has its flaws and the UW is no different. Open your eyes, Barrons. Show some maturity and join reality.</p>

<p>Eh, if you post a question on the Wisconsin subforum I would expect fairly biased responses. Nothing wrong with some school spirit. Bringing it to other subforums isn’t really cool though.</p>

<p>I know U of Wisconsin and U of Minnesota well. In general, U of Wisconsin is higher in the academic ratings, but that can vary a bit by school or major. Either way, both are fine choices.</p>

<p>One item you may want to check out as a communications major is the availability of internships in Madison vs. Minneapolis. Internships are very important for this field. When I lived in Madison, there weren’t many advertising/marketing/communicatin firms. You’ll find tons in Minneapolis–advertising firms, pr firms, digital media companies, etc. It might be worthwhile inquiring about the availability of internships in both places and finding out what connections the school has with appropriate businesses.</p>

<p>If you’re interested in fun athletics, U of Wisconsin wins hands down. Loved football games and ice hockey!</p>

<p>Internships can be had in other cities- check on potential availability in Milwaukee and Chicago, or even Minneapolis, if a student in Madison. Regarding dorms- one college visit won’t be enough time to experience all of the different UW dorm settings, I’m sure you can find one you like- plus the food service pay as you go instead of contracting for a fixed amount is a bonus. Go with your overall feelings, apply to both schools and see how you feel about them next spring.</p>

<p>PS- since this is the UW forum biased, pro UW opinions are expected. If current students and alumni can’t show enthusiasm for a school why should anyone choose it? I would hope there are Minn posters equally in favor of their school on their forum.</p>

<p>Wisconsin definently has the better sports teams. But Minnesota still has solid programs in all the main sports. The only thing they are historically better at is hockey, except the last couple of years the hockey team has been bad. And Minnesota just got the TCF bank stadium for football. One reason why college sports like football are not as big in Minnesota is that students can also attend nearby Vikings, Twins, Wild, and Timberwolves games.</p>

<p>Jota! Jota!</p>

<p>I’m glad I’m not the only one who realizes how ridiculous this guy is.</p>

<p>Please show me an inaccurate post. I have the facts on some schools others might not know about. Some schools are overrated in my opinion and if I know that I’ll say it when it comes up. If a UW program is not good you won’t see me advocating it. I’ll just say nothing about it. But when you have scores of highly rated programs that won’t be too often. I have no posts in musical theater. Nor in music performance.
Assuming you have to do your internships in Madison is stupid. Madison places lots of interns in Chicago–unlike certain other B10 schools–as well as Minny, NY, LA, DC etc. Most of the large ad agencies in Chicago are full of Badgers.</p>

<p>Aren’t you the guy who called Chad residents socially awkward?? </p>

<p>And Jota, unless you want a LAC or warm weather or have to live in a big city, I think just about everyone would enjoy and get a lot out of UW. So I will try to convince anyone that asks to go there if it could be a fit. But I have no gun or other ways to force them to do so.</p>

<p>One thing I noticed is that at Minnesota, they talked a lot about how they help you to make friends. At Madison they did not really mention this. For example, Minnesota had a building for engineers, honors, etc. How do you meet new people at Madison?</p>

<p>It’s hard to reply seriously. We are talking a campus where something like 80% of the students report having sex with other students. Unless you are a complete Frankenstein it’s just not an issue. Meet them everywhere and anywhere. Bars, parties, classes, Union, coffee houses, at part-time jobs, Farmer’s Market are a few. Once met someone by hiring her to type my paper @ $1/page–but that was old school days. If you are talking buddies–in the dorms, in class, when you move into a house.</p>

<p>Just a quick follow up on my earlier comments about internships. Of course, you don’t have to do internships in Madison–summer is available to travel anywhere for internships. But, a lot of U of Minnesota students have internships during the school year as well, which sets them up for better summer internships. A growing number of companies who hire interns are interested in students who can work after the summer, which allows firms to capitalize on the training they have given students.</p>

<p>My main suggestion is to do some research on your internship opportunities at both schools. Just be aware of your opportunities in addition to the great academics at both schools.</p>

<p>I have been a faculty member at both U of W and U of M. They are really great universities and I wish you the best in making the choice that works best for you!</p>