Wisconsin or Minnesota?

<p>After all roads were leading to my attendance at Minnesota come Fall. I was just accepted to my home school Wisconsin. My sister attends Minnesota and has been a big influence on me in my decision process but now as I look closer into the two schools I'm finding it harder to pass up the opportunity of being a badger. Any input from anyone in a similar situation or from somebody with a strong opinion it would be much appreciated. Anyways I'm accepted into the College of Liberal Arts at UMN, and College of Letters and Science at Wisco (I'm pretty sure thats the only freshman college...) </p>

<p>Thanks all</p>

<p>I have my B.S. from UW and am a current Twin Cities resident who did grad work at UMN. The schools are, in general, academically close, with UW a little ahead in overall reputation but U of MN stronger in some departments. So, unless you know enough about specific areas of study that interest you so that you can make an informed comparison, my advice on that score is that the reputations are close enough that they probably won’t matter to you as an undergraduate.</p>

<p>Instead I suggest you focus on quality of experience. Some comments I posted earlier:

</p>

<p>IMO, in terms of “spirit” Wisconsin also wins. People want to leave campus at Minnesota and want to be on campus at UW. At 6:00 PM Coffman Union at Minnesota is becoming a ghost town; at Memorial Union activity is starting to kick into high gear. I never got a sense of very much inter-departmental converstation at Minnesota, much more so at Wisconsin. The Mississippi River isn’t Lake Mendota, Dinkytown isn’t State Street, and the experience at TCF Stadium falls short of that at Camp Randall. UMN does not have an easily accessible arboretum like UW and has nothing at all like the Lakeshore Trail or Picnic Point.</p>

<p>I will add that the Twin Cities in general are a more cosmopolitan setting than is Madison, but the extent to which that matters depends on how much you will be getting off campus.</p>

<p>I suggest you search CC for more UW/UMN comparisons. There are quite a few, IIRC.</p>

<p>Well said. UMinn only real “advantage” is the larger city around it. But this also cuts into student focus and cohesiveness.</p>

<p>BTW- you were admitted to the university as whole (UW), regardless of your intended major. You were placed into L&S since that is the default school- some 80% of students are in it and most freshmen will take the majority of their classes in it. You will find Wisconsin residents who love/hate each school. Unless your particular major is especially strong at either school it comes down to the intangibles- which school appeals to you. It may be nice to have your “own” school instead of following in your sister’s footsteps. This is the UW site- you will find a UW bias here (for the reasons posted above). The UW student body has a greater percentage of non Minn/Wis students I believe- probably more diversity in that way.</p>

<p>Good point of not wanting to pass up being a Badger. I am in the opposite camp as yourself. I go to Madison from Minnesota and some times I wonder I if I made the wrong decision simply because I love the state of Minnesota and I passed up a chance to be a Gopher. Take stuff like that into consideration. It amazes me how much that affects me when I thought it wouldn’t.</p>

<p>^That’s probably the main reason I’m going to the U of M next year. I’ve had Gopher hockey tickets my whole life and have drawers stuffed full of marroon and gold clothes. I love Madison, and I love UW the school, but as much as I’ve tries to pump myself up to go there, I still hate the Badgers (and everything else related to WI sports, especially the Packers). UW may be slightly higher in reputation, but I can’t pass up being a Gopher so the U of M is where I’ll be headed next year.</p>

<p>(I only wish the U was in Duluth or Winona or some other true college town, not smack dab in the middle of Minneapolis where the majority of the state population lives within twenty miles of it.)</p>

<p>I’ve found that to not necessarily be a bad thing. Here in Madison, which is a true college town, I’ve found that there is NOTHING to do off campus. True, I don’t have my car here so I can’t drive places and stuff. But even the buses go no where. The only place to go on the buses is East-town mall or West-town Mall. I feel like if I went to the UofM I could at least go to the Mall of America, explore downtown if I was bored. Here in Madtown, none of that. Contained the campus pretty well.</p>

<p>Question–are multiple restaurants from $-$$$$$, a couple art museums, a major worldclass performing arts center, three major off campus concert venues (all within walking distance except Barrymore which requirs a bus or cab ride) really nothing?<br>
Now I have been to the MOA and it’s fine but not the place i’d go much as there are plenty of shops right off campus for clothes, etc. If you want big name chain restaurants there are lots over near West Town.
In March alone the Overture performing arts center has Second City, couple symphony orchestras, Norah Jones, Willlie Nelson, Lily Tomlin, Gladys Knight, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, several major traveling shows, and more.</p>

<p>[Overture</a> Center for the Arts | Madison, Wisconsin](<a href=“http://www.overturecenter.com/]Overture”>http://www.overturecenter.com/)</p>

<p>[Majestic</a> Theatre](<a href=“http://www.majesticmadison.com/]Majestic”>http://www.majesticmadison.com/)</p>

<p>[Barrymorelive</a> Theatre - Home](<a href=“http://www.barrymorelive.com/]Barrymorelive”>http://www.barrymorelive.com/)</p>

<p>[Orpheum</a> Theatre Madison, WI](<a href=“Cafe Vs Restaurant: What's The Difference? - Recipes.net”>Cafe Vs Restaurant: What's The Difference? - Recipes.net)</p>

<p>Yes. To me at least. You are making Madison sound like the holy grail of entertainment. EVERY campus in the great United States of America has various concert venues, restaurants until forever, etc… Yes state street is always fun to go to I admit. However, in my spare time, being a college student, I REALLY enjoy looking at art from a subpar museum. Yeah cool.</p>

<p>BTW. Who the hell is “…Willlie Nelson, Lily Tomlin, Gladys Knight, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, several major traveling shows, and more.” Several major traveling shows? Cannot be too major if no one has any idea as to who they are. The only one I’ll give you is Norah Jones. When was the last time a major, current artist came to Madison. Never they always go to Milwaukee.</p>

<p>BTW II: That was mostly to provoke you because reading the UofM forums I know how much a nutcase you are. You’ll freak about this and it will be funny. I find it funny how you talk like you know sooo much about UW-Madison when you’re some old parent (if that) that is out of touch with the student population. Your biased information is not always helpful. Especially on that UofM thread where you sound like the biggest moron ever just RIPPING in the UofM when it’s a perfectly fine school. Really turns people off to think that everyone from wisconsin is as arrogant and as dumb as yourself. Good job repping Wisconsin buddy.</p>

<p>I never ripped UM, Buddy. I just presented many facts that indicated it’s not as good as Wisconsin. Very simple really. Even a dumb guy can understand that.
If you don’t know who those other acts are, well too bad. Never heard of Willie Nelson or Gladys Knight?? Really. I guess you knowledge of music is limited as your outlook. Try the Google. Lots of major acts come to Madison to play Kohl Center, The Camp. or The Coliseum. Rolling Stones, U2, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Sting, Bon Jovi, Dave Mathews, Jon Mayer and so on.</p>

<p>PS There are lots of popular colleges that don’t offer much in way of concerts, restaurants and the like. Ever been to Dartmouth, Williams, Indiana, Illinois, Notre Dame, etc etc. I have.</p>

<p>FWIW- barrons was an OOS student at UW. The UW area has enough going on there is no need to leave for activities. Madison is much closer to Chicago if you want the museums… BTW- the academics are still the number one reason to choose a school, that is where most of your time ends up. A close second is the campus ambience, UW has much more for many than U of M. Go wherever YOU feel most comfortable- I doubt you will have that much time for going all the way to the Mall of America or seeing off campus museums many times if you are doing the work and taking advantage of what a campus has to offer…</p>

<p>countrygentleman: As a current UW student from Minnesota, I can tell you that I couldn’t agree more with Barrons’s summaries of UW vs UofM. </p>

<p>Additionally, and again, as a current student, I hope you choose Minnesota. You’d fit in well there, I’m sure.</p>

<p>OP- MNTwins has apparently decided to return to Minn next fall despite praising many facets of UW (Hoofers). If your heart says UW- stay in Wis. You would fit in at both schools- many residents of each state do. I have heard many arguements pro/con both schools from students- it can be a dilemna. It is nice to go to a separate school than one’s sibling. Good luck.</p>

<p>Why is everyone telling me to go to the UofM??? I already go to UW. The post with my opinion of feeling sort of ‘landlocked’ was nothing more than an opinion to which people have ferociously responded to. No matter what you guys say, you’ll most likely never change my opinion.</p>

<p>I never said I don’t like UW. I love it here. The campus is nice, the people are friendly, everyone is smart and there’s no dealing with the kids who don’t give a damn like back in high school. I was merely stating that sometimes I miss Minnesota and can’t help but wonder what it would have been like going there.</p>

<p>Lastly, if anyone that still is wondering about Wisconsin or Minnesota, beware of people that are exactly like Barrons on campus at UW. He admits he is from the East Coast and he acts like it. It’s pretty easy to see why so many midwest natives (wis and min alike) can’t stand these people. Obnoxious, arrogant, self-absorbed…</p>

<p>Consider it part of the cultural broadening. If you ever have to go work in NYC or even Chicago you’ll be more ready. Most people are pretty much like me or even worse. On Wall Street they are me to the third power. If you can’t handle that you better stay near home. Seriously.</p>

<p>The OP- original poster- is birdieboy and comments are directed at him, in answer to his questions. Not all east coast or Chicago UW students are like barrons. Most students don’t major in business or care about the world he refers to. There is a lot more to those areas. Wall street isn’t Mecca for the vast majority, fortunately.</p>

<p>Hey I’m new to College Confidential but I just wanted to say thanks, your insights have helped a lot (although I’m still torn). At this point I realize the need for me to take an in depth visit to Madison, talk to people within the university… not just friends because It’s really about getting the education. What I like about Madison is that if I attend I will be able to test the waters and decide on a major before I most likely apply to Grainger. Getting a business degree is something I’ve thought would happen all along and unfortunately I did not apply to Carlson. Although I know I would still be able to try for transfer I hear it is very difficult. For those of you on the board who have graduated or are attending, how hard is getting into Grainger as well as transfer between colleges at a university? I know there are plenty of websites giving statistics on stuff like that but I prefer to hear from an actual person rather than staring at a chart. </p>

<p>Thanks again everyone, I’m going to try and start posting on other threads to return the favor.</p>

<p>Get a 3.5 in your pre-bus classes and show some leadership/commitment in some area and you should be fine. Good grades in math are important. UW is pretty easy for moving between colleges and dual majors but some majors are limited enrollment in just about any school at UW.
wis75–the OP is a business prospect so knowing about how it works is not off topic. I have worked for three of the largest firms in my business area and one thing they have in common is being demanding of both time and effort. If you don’t make your numbers nobody is your friend. I saw a got good guy fired while giving his boss a ride to the airport. People yell, people swear, people get in your face. You have to be tough enough to handle it. Otherwise there is working for the government. I did that too for about 6 years. Very little swearing or pressure. No money but good benefits.</p>

<p>birdieboy- im in the same position. I’m from MN and I’m picking between UMN and UWMadison. I got into Carlson and Madison has that non-direct business program admission factor. The factor’s I’m trying to risk if I choose Madison is the business program admission factor, and the fact that there aren’t as much job/internship opportunities around, and also that there is nothing much to do off campus.</p>

<p>Regarding “nothing much to do off campus”- there’s so much to do on/near campus there’s no reason to leave the area. That’s a different viewpoint to use. You can go work in the big city, but Madison is a great place to be for college.</p>