Unable to post messages earlier

Well…this was a challenge to find (community forum and issues).

@CC_Jon earlier today there was an issue with being able to post messages. They just didn’t post. Got a 502 error, and couldn’t delete or save drafts.

What was going on?

And for the record…when I went to delete another post I wrote, it doesn’t appear on my profile at all under sent posts. So…something is off.

I posted another query about this before I found community forum and issues. I’d happily delete it…if I could find it!

@CC_Jon @thumper1 emailed this to me just now:

“Someone needs to let the PTB know that this site is NOT working. Most of us cannot reply, post, or send messages.”

I wasn’t able to start a new thread, so I am replying on this one.

Sorry folks, we had an infrastructure incident this afternoon that took a while to recover from. We should be good now but will continue to investigate the cause.

(Also, it’s good to see everyone - haven’t been around much lately due to other company concerns, but today’s event was big enough to draw my attention :woozy_face:)

1 Like

Is this problem back? When I open parent forum topics, it no longer scrolls to the last read item (after the ‘red’ line). I’m logged in, but it no longer keeps a history of what I read, and does not create a new ‘red’ line, so I have no idea of the most recent posts.

@CC_Mike @CC_Sorin @CC_Jon

Could you PLEASE put Community Forum and Issues back in the menu list on College Confidential Community. At this time…the only way to find this is to do a search. When issues come up…it’s almost impossible to report them to you because this is not readily available. I hate to say it, but making this so inaccessible makes it seem like you all don’t want to hear what issues there are. And it also makes it very hard for others to agree or not with what the (current) issue is.

Thank you for letting us know that there was an issue.

The odd thing is….some people were able to post during this issue last night, and others were not.

2 Likes

Adding…there is still something wrong with the little blue number notifications. Very clearly…I have a LOT of posts I haven’t read this morning. I had NO number by this and none were highlighted when I hit my avatar. This has been going on for a while as well.

@CC_Mike

1 Like

Have there been problems today? Checking to see if this post will work.

Well, this posted right away. Not sure what the issue might be.

@CC_Jay

Im still not getting little blue numbers next to my avatar to indicate posts I haven’t read. This has been going on for a long time. And when I click on my avatar, sometimes there are threads in bold, and sometimes there are not…even though I have threads I haven’t read.

But I can post, reply and send messages today.

For me, the BIG question is…why didn’t this affect everyone. When I was reading last night, there were post that had been posted one minute ago, for example…when I couldn’t post at all. To me, that is very very odd.

When @MaineLonghorn posted upstream here, I couldn’t post at.all. BUT she could. How come?

I have not been able to send messages. One post went through after some difficulty.

Since we cannot post, admins cannot see that there is a problem!!!

Maybe this one will get through. Keep getting 502 error message and other weird stuff.

I am working with students on essays! Argh they may think I am ignoring them!

1 Like

Came back and previous message posted! Two hours later!

1 Like

I am still having issues on and off this morning. For a long while this morning, I was getting a 502 error message every time I tried to post a message or response to a PM. That seems to have resolved but my notifications are still not working.

1 Like

Stange. I can’t find any explanation for this.

I’m looking into this as well.

There are 7 different servers running the web server part of the application; in the past (before I re-wrote how things get deployed) it was often the case that one or more servers would have a full disk, which would mean that people had about a 1/7 chance of getting the server that was broken, and the odds might go up when another server’s disk filled.

Sadly, I don’t see any obvious issues with the web servers when I checked them all just now.

EDIT: I just re-started all of the servers, so maybe a fresh start will resolve this.

If you have problems after this message, please post here and tag me if you want. I’m watching the topic, so I should get notifications if any one posts (assuming, of course, that notifications are working? :cry: )

Mine is working now and has been for an hour. I have caught up with all but one student.
If it doesn’t work again, then I will not be able to post and you @CC_Jay, won’t know!

1 Like

Doh! I was afraid someone was going to notice that. :crying_cat_face:

You can use this contact form: Contact — Literate Computing, LLC

I have found a setting to change that I believe should solve at least some of the issues with notifications. That new deployment just got launched, so hopefully we’re back to having things be stable.

1 Like

@CC_Jay can you please add Community Forum and Issues in a visible spot…please. Right now, the only way to get there is by doing a search or hoping it pops up on latest posts if you use that. That is ridiculous. You have no way to know the extent of these issues if this section of the forum remains hidden.

1 Like

@CC_Jon. This seems to be in your wheelhouse.

You need better architecture/sys admins. That web server cluster should be reconfigured to host only the operating system with the appropriate RAID configuration so that you don’t need to restart. All app software and organic/growth (post database) areas should be offloaded to real-time expandable virtual storage. There’s no excuse in today’s computing world for any node of a cluster causing a production failure or interruption, especially due to a storage capacity issue.

Just my .02 (and, of course, I can’t see your actual config so this is just a blind armchair vent). :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah. I solved those problems when they hired me.

The web servers all run in docker containers that have only ephemeral storage. They mostly don’t need any disk space, as everything is in the database or on S3, but they hadn’t noticed a default backup process was running that filled the local disk.

2 Likes

Just letting you know that my number notifications seem to be working now. And I do t need to read a post three times for the forum to recognize I’ve done so.

I hope the folks having ad issues have seen some improvement.

2 Likes

Ok…this morning…I’m not getting any numbers next to my avatar for unread posts…and when I click my avatar, it looks like I’ve read everything…but the most current ones aren’t even at the top of the list.

@CC_Mike @CC_Jay @CC_Sorin @CC_Jon

1 Like