UNC Chapel Hill [NC resident] vs Univ of Southern Cal [business and journalism]

I’m a current high-school senior and am deciding between the colleges of USC (Southern Cal) and UNC. I’ve talked to multiple people about it, but would love to hear more opinions.

I want to study business and journalism and I’m aware both schools are respected in those departments. I am in-state with UNC for tuition purposes, but my family is fully comfortable with USC’s tuition as well. UNC is more of the family school and I’ve pictured myself going there for quite some time now, whereas USC came somewhat out of the blue and I never really expected to have that opportunity. It would be much easier for me to get adjusted to UNC as it is close and I know plenty of friends and others attending, but starting fresh also seems very rewarding. I would love to live on the east coast (particularly the northeast in a big city) after college, but am not opposed to living in California or out west.

Thank you so much for any help!

You answered it. UNC. Your family may support you but you know UNC costs less, it’s as good for journalism and frankly no one should pay big bucks for journalism (not a good major for outcomes) and USC is now more than $90,000 a year. That’s $400k by the time you graduate or very close to it.

UNC is not direct admit for business so that would be a hesitation. But they have a minor or other related majors should you not get in. .

But you could still get in and even if not, this is a no brainer.

Good luck.

Congratulations on such fine options! CC posters will insist you should go with the more affordable option, but IMO that is really between you and your family (provided you and your family have done the math.)

If you do decide on USC, it has a terrific reputation in those programs and a well established and active alumni network, so I would guess that transitioning to the East Coast after graduation would be feasible.

1 Like

Actually, if journalism is the goal, and it depends on what medium - but it might be East or West or Montana or a small town in Nebraska.

There’s no way to know.

USC is now $90,000 a year - and journalism is one of the investments with the worst ROI - so it’s less about affordability but more about the major choice.

The advantage of SC is direct admit to the business school. But yes, at over $90K, I suppose one does tend to look at money vs. in state and outstanding UNC.

1 Like

We don’t know enough about the OP to start predicting definite career paths, so I am not sure it makes sense to try to limit their choices based on ROI regarding one of their possible areas of interest.

Not sure that the OP is has asked us for advice regarding either affordability or their major choice.

You obviously do, but some families have different priorities. Not sure why that is so hard to accept for some.

1 Like

And I’d still pick UNC. It’s a better J school and frankly, reading what the OP wrote - she prefers to be there.

But getting into a similarl ranked school has made her think…well maybe it wouldn’t be bad.

As noted both school are great but I get the sense OP wants to be closer to home - but the one downside to UNC is the non-direct admit at KF - but doesn’t mean she won’t be there.

I would carefully go over funding with the folks though. Many kids say their parents are willing to support - but they may also not realize the cost will come to close to $400k. So it is something that does need to be talking about.

Critizing others, however, isn’t something that needs to be done. It’s fine to post your opinion but please don’t knock others.

1 Like

@templerundude, I’d suggest you think back to what drew you to apply to each school in the first place, and ask yourself how important that characteristic/opportunity is to you, and whether the other school will provide it.

For example, it sounds like starting fresh has some appeal, but only you know how much appeal. Which school excites you intellectually and socially? How important is it to you to have an easy adjustment? How important is it to you to already have friends at the school?

Both are excellent schools, but which one fits you better?

Your parents might be fine with the $$- but you might want to consider some negotiating! For example, IF you went with UNC, would they be willing to put some or all of the difference towards grad school? or, if they were already willing to pay for grad school, toward your first house?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.