UNCF Scholarships

Is there anyone on here that is familiar with the UNCF scholarship process? My daugther has applied for the STEM scholarship and general scholarship however received an email stating that they will notify applicants of their status by May 15th. I guess my concern/question is how accurate is this information? Considering that national decision day is May 1st, why would they not notify students by May 1st? My daughter has been offered a full ride to 2 HBCUs and 1 PWI, tuition at 1 PWI, and Merit aide to other HBCUs. Unfortunately the Full ride offers are from HBCUs that she didn’t particularly like once visiting. She desires to attend an HBCU, however without additional financial support, I don’t see passing up the full ride offer at the PWI. Any thoughts about UNCF and other outside scholarships.

1 Like

@Phillymom5 Hi-I don’t get on CC much anymore but thought I’d take a look and saw your post. I assume the information on the website is accurate. D has gotten a UNCF scholarship each of the last two years and they were pretty late in the year-the school adjusted the balance due from that point on. Are you willing to share what the HBCU’s are? My D is a junior at Fisk and has friends at almost a dozen others, and toured 14 of them herself. Maybe I can offer some insight? Feel free to PM me. If this scholarship is the make or break point about the one HBCU she really wants, I don’t think it would hurt to call and talk to FA. Also, I know that some of them have acceptance dates into the summer. Still others will continue “courting” an accepted student that chose to go elsewhere. D got calls and emails from one well into her freshman year begging her to transfer there. But hey-full rides are awesome! My only concern with a PWI would be how comfortable your D would feel there. D was always in the minority in school growing up and couldn’t wait to get to an HBCU where that wasn’t going to happen. She’s absolutely thriving. Whatever you decide, good luck!

1 Like

The schools are Talledega and ironically Fisk. I’m trying to convince her to try a visit to Fisk again but she has insisted that she wasn’t interested. 2 others high on her list is xula and ncat where she received partial scholarships. She ultimately wants to go to medical school, so the thought of taking out a bunch of loans for undergrad isn’t pleasing, since I know she will need them for med school. She currently goes to a high school that’s predominately white, so I do understand her desire for a change.

1 Like

@Phillymom5 , what path did your daughter decide? My son is about to apply to several schools and he’s also going back and forth on the PWI vs HBCU topic.

What does your son want to specialize in? I had the honor and privilege of attending the illustrious Xavier University of Louisiana. We are #1 nationally in most African Americans in and finishing med school, grad school, physical sciences, pharmacy, and a host of other accolades. Please share with your son he can have both! We have student exchange programs with both domestic U.S. and international schools. For the equivalent of Xavier tuition, he could enroll at a PWI for up to 2 or 3 semesters and transfer those credits back to Xavier. He can literally get both experiences through our student exchange programs. Not only was I able to expose myself to many opportunities, but I also discovered how rich a Xavier education is. We even outscored more well known ivy school attendees across the MCAT, GMAT and LSATs!!! My foundation was and is strong. And I’ve been a medical healthcare provider for 11 years. Www.xula.edu why not apply and see what happens :slight_smile:

1 Like