Undergrad business school

Is The Robbins School of Business direct admit or is there an application process?

It seems to be something you do after you’re already a student at UR. Studemt needs a 2.7 gpa after a minimum of 12 credits and pass an Excel competency exam. Students with less than 2.7 May appeal.

1 Like

At least does not seem capped and zero-sum competitive. We have heard Wake Forest is that way.

1 Like

Thanks. My grandson is looking at both of those.

1 Like

Robbins is technically a secondary admit, but it is very easy to fulfill the requirements (basically pass an excel proficiency exam - you have 4 tries). Wake is a more traditional secondary admit with a full application process, etc. The admit rate for the Wake business school hovers between 80-90% each year (according to the director whom we met with a few months ago).

3 Likes

Do you have sense of acceptance rate at other non direct admits like Emory, UVA and UNC?

My understanding is that UVA’s is around 60% and UNC’s is around 50%. I don’t recall Emory’s secondary admit rate.

1 Like

Too close for comfort… I thought recently Wake had gotten closer to 70%. Have you found any third-party research on that? Poets and Quants seems to include only college acceptance rate and not secondary b-School acceptance rate.

2 Likes

I haven’t found any third party data that’s reliable. We have simply asked the bus. schools directly when visiting.

Which b-schools or LACs with business programs have you visited?

We have visited 11 so far, with a few more to come this summer. We have seen Babson, Wake, UVA, W&L, UPenn, UMass - Amherst, Santa Clara, U Richmond, Emory, UGA, and Skidmore. Our D23’s list is atypical since she has some very specific extracurricular must-haves which make for a complicated puzzle.

1 Like

What did you think of Babson when you visited?

Loved it! Small, but not too small, happy and engaging. The students were friendly in a way that I didn’t expect having read a bit about the wealth on display. Indeed, the Wall Street crowd was obvious, but I carefully watched to see if they would engage others both in their conversations and as they passed on the walkways, and they did. 100%. It was refreshing to see. In fact, one Gucci-clad lad noticed we were lost and stopped to help us locate the Starbucks. He didn’t just point us in the right direction, he completely changed course and walked us to the front door of the student center chatting with D23 the whole way. Academically, the first year FME curriculum was impressive, and D23 and I both liked how Babson balanced a business-heavy course load with a sprinkling of interesting liberal arts electives. We left feeling great about the school.

How did you like (what did you think of) Richmond, W&L and Skidmore?

We loved U Richmond in just about every way. Stunningly beautiful campus and surrounding neighborhood, lovely, warm people, and a fantastic business school. The focus on health and wellness was something I really gravitated to as a parent, and D23 loved the happy social vibe on campus. Bright kids coupled with a less intense environment made for a fantastic visit.

W&L stuck us as a bit more intense academically, and the small size was noticed. Overall a nice visit and still a contender, but it just didn’t resonate quite as much as some of the others on her list.

Skidmore came off of the list. D23 didn’t connect on any level, so that was the end of her inquiry. I will say the sweet town of Saratoga Springs was a big bonus, but not enough to sway her.

Is any of Dickinson, F&M, Gettysburg, Lehigh, Villanova, Rhodes, Trinity U or Bucknell on the list?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I really like what they do there. I know just a couple of alums, but both of these women have done phenomenally well in their careers so far.

You mean out of Babson or Richmond? Sorry.

Out of Babson.

I second Dickinson - international business and management is their most popular major, and this is a liberal arts college.