Undergraduate research: pick your own topic?

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I’m trying to develop a list of Alabama’s undergraduate research opportunities to help my D’13 make a decision for next fall. D is already admitted, still needs to complete the scholarship and honors app. But Alabama is definitely one of her top three schools. She wants to either double major in exercise science AND in theatre or dance, or major in exercise science and minor in theatre and take as many dance courses as she can (there is no dance minor). Theatre and dance major admissions are both by audition only, so we are looking at a minor as backup plan. She ultimately wants go to physical therapy school and we know that getting in can be tough, thus UG research is worthwhile!</p>

<p>As a HS senior, she is currently doing a 4 month research project on dance medicine and how the science of the body can help the art of dance. She’s screening her school’s dance team members to identify areas of weakness and is working with a DPT/mentor to develop exercises to strengthen those areas, in an attempt to prevent injuries. </p>

<p>Dance medicine is becoming widely known in Europe with many schools there offering degrees in the subject, while only a few schools offer those here. She would ultimately like to work as a physical therapist with dancers and others in the performing arts.</p>

<p>So I know there are many undergraduate research opportunities at Alabama through CBH, UFE, Emerging Scholars, etc. But are students allowed to choose their own topic to research, or do they assist professors with previously chosen topics??</p>

<p>I also read that pre-health students should meet with a pre-health advisor…can they do that as prospective students during a campus visit, or is this once they are here for orientation and such?</p>

<p>Any info yall could offer would be most beneficial!</p>

<p>Many thanks!</p>

<p>*So I know there are many undergraduate research opportunities at Alabama through CBH, UFE, Emerging Scholars, etc. But are students allowed to choose their own topic to research, or do they assist professors with previously chosen topics??</p>

<p>I also read that pre-health students should meet with a pre-health advisor…can they do that as prospective students during a campus visit, or is this once they are here for orientation and such?*</p>

<p>I think there is a way to choose your own research topic for CBH, but I’m not sure how that’s done. UFE doesnt’ do research. Emerging Scholars students do research with a prof, so probably can’t choose your own project. </p>

<p>If you want to meet with a pre-med advisor during a campus visit, then let Allison or Susan (Honors) know that so they can arrange.</p>