Prospective Class of 2018

<p>With the 2013 application season coming to an end, I thought it would be fun to start a thread dedicated to our 2014 grads who are eagerly anticipating the release of the 2014 application. So if you are a parent or student who can’t wait to join the Crimson Tide family, introduce yourself here! I am looking forward to getting to know you all!</p>

<p>NC Mom here. NC Daughter and I visited campus last August. She would commit today if she could! She is planning to major in Public Relations and will be completing her application the day it is released.</p>

<p>Well, much will depend on ACT scores and scholarship requirements, but my D would start packing today if I would let her!</p>

<p>She previously was considering the journalism/public relations route but is a bit more undecided at this point. She is VERY MUCH interested in the Blount Undergraduate Initiative and is already planning out her application (they have the “use this blank page to express yourself” type of application.)</p>

<p>Thanks for starting this thread, NC Mom!</p>

<p>My younger son puts Alabama at the top of his list, but a lot depends on test scores/scholarship requirements, as he is not into big debt. So, he keeps his options open and looks at other schools, too. He is interested in mathematics/economics/statistics.</p>

<p>You can add D2 to the list! Originally she didn’t want to follow big sister to UA, but she now realizes that 1) She won’t see sis unless she wants to and 2) BAMA is the best school for her so far! She has taken the ACT once and has the presidential (if nothing changes). </p>

<p>She is undecided about major, but it will probably be in the social sciences. She is very interested in the Fellows program but is afraid that she has found her new passion (saving the world! LOL!) too late in her HS career.</p>

<p>D will be following big brother for an engineering degree if she can get her ACT score up.</p>

<p>DS3 may well follow DS2 to Tuscaloosa. It’s a long time until the decision is made, but, he made the cut (just did) on the SAT for Presidential if the requirements don’t change. That certainly makes Alabama a great option.</p>

<p>My D won’t even consider another school at this point. She dreams of following my S there. Like others have said, though, it will depend on scores/scholarship requirements. She is undecided about her major, but is leaning towards engineering. One thing she knows for sure is that if she attends Bama, she wants to earn a spot on the MDB’s colorguard. Roll Tide, y’all!</p>

<p>Our oldest dd puts Alabama at the top of her list right now. We did a casual drive by once, but are doing a full visit (campus tour, honors college, and engineering department) in April. Ultimately it will depend on scholarship requirements. Right now she needs 1 more ACT composite point for Presidential. She hopes to major in civil engineering and rush a sorority.</p>

<p>S3, a hs junior, is considering Alabama IF he does well enough on his ACT (OOS costs are too much otherwise). We took a tour when visiting his brother in October and he was impressed. Crossing my fingers that he’ll get a 32+ and the scholarship requirements stay the same so he has the choice.</p>

<p>Sounds like we are all anxiously awaiting the scholarship requirements! Does anyone know when they release the requirements for next year?</p>

<p>Gamomto4girls, my DD is in the same boat. She needs one more ACT point! Took it this week at school and will take the April test. She also wants to join a sorority.</p>

<p>Not to interject a sour note, but I advise trying for higher than a 32ACT score. The Presidential Scholarship score has remained steady for several years while The University of Alabama has grown in popularity. There are more high stat applicants each year and the percentage of OOS students attending continues to rise. Projections are for 56% OOS for the upcoming fall. I don’t think that the ACT/SAT scores or even the GPA can stay where it has been. I would try to aim for higher scores just to be prepared. This is just my opinion but I think that changes could be on the horizon.</p>

<p>Robotbidmom, we are all hoping that this isn’t the year for change! I have been encouraging DD to strive for the highest score possible though!</p>

<p>NC MOM: Although I don’t think this year will see any changes (again, just my opinion), I still believe that there will be changes in the near future. However, I would encourage my student to try for better than a 32ACT, (as you are doing) and also to take both the ACT and SAT multiple times.
If your student is interested in the CBHP or UFE programs, those students selected usually have very high stats.
Good Luck to your daughter!!</p>

<p>Right now she needs 1 more ACT composite point for Presidential. She hopes to major in civil engineering and rush a sorority.</p>

<p>Does she have a 31? If so, and the scholarships don’t change, she will have full tuition since Eng’g bumps a 30 & 31 to full tuition PLUS 2500 per year. However, you’ll still want her to try to get the 32+ in case she decides against eng’g.</p>

<p>We visited UA this past week and were surprisingly impressed! Thank you to m2ck for continually recommending UA to all of us who may not have known about this gem!</p>

<p>DS is a junior interested in Mechanical Engineering. The new engineering complex, roomy honors dorm suites, the SAE Formula car program and co-op opportunities in the automotive industry were big sellers for DS. He qualifies for the presidential scholarship / engineering scholarship, so that is definitely a plus since we are OOS. </p>

<p>Good luck to all of your Ds & Ss on future testing so all these kids can meet up in 2014!! :)</p>

<p>An update from a hopeful mom of a possible Presidential Scholar! DD took the ACT through her school in March and ended up with a 31.25. Yes she needed just one more point in one section for the 32, quite possibly one more correct question! So frustrating! We found out on a cruise ship over spring break. DD took it in stride and took it again last Saturday. Eagerly awaiting those results! We still have June, September, and October! </p>

<p>Fingers still crossed that the scholarship requirements don’t change! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>NC Mom, good luck to your D; she has 3 more tries and she is only .75 a point away so I am sure she will get the 32 required (or even more). S took the ACT last Saturday. It is his first time taking it so I am anxious/curious to see where he ends up. Either way we will probably sign him up for the June test because unless he gets a 36 (unlikely) he will always have room to go up. He is seriously considering Alabama if he gets the necessary scholarships to make it affordable.</p>

<p>NC Mom: Hopefully, she got that 32! My son needs 70 points on the SAT for the Presidential. He will take his SAT in October, as his schedule does not allow for it in May or June. That’s okay. With four AP exams and a state English test, as well as postseason track and field meets, he’s busy enough.</p>

<p>Thanks Ladies! Good luck to your sons too! Actually, kjcphmkm, DD is just .25 away, because a 31.5 rounds to a 32! Eagerly awaiting the latest results of the ACT on 4/29!! Momreads, I tried to convince her to take the SAT again; she hasn’t taken it since last spring, but she insists she hates the SAT and would rather focus on the ACT. Since she is so close, I can’t exactly argue with her. She was 110 points away on the SAT last spring.</p>