University of Alabama - Blount Initiative

<p>My daughter has been accepted at UA and awarded a Presidential Scholarship for full tuition. She’s in the process of applying for the Honors College. Today she received in the mail information about applying to Blount. We aren’t clear exactly WHY she would want to apply for Blount vs. just applying to the Honors College and Honors dorms. Can anyone provide some additional details - is this something she should consider? The DVD didn’t entice her much - so we’re wondering if we are missing something.</p>

<p>Okay so this is the story of Blount coming from a Blount freshman. I love doing this.
All freshman in the Blount Undergraduate Initiative are required to live in Blount hall with their fellow freshman Blountees, as well as several older Blountees. Blount hall is, in my opinion, by far the greatest of all residence halls. No there are no “supersuites”, you do not get your own living room, but you get the comfort of knowing that as soon as you leave your room there will be someone (usually many someones) sitting in the lobby, or the tv room, or somewhere just talking, discussing issues, debating, and just generally having fun. You won’t get that in a dorm where no one leaves his or her room because it’s too nice.
In addition to the living situation, you are required to take a certain amount of credit hours in Blount, meaning extremely interesting classes with some of the best professors in the school. Freshman year, you have to take BUI 101 and BUI 102, which are basically just reading and writing classes on a variety of topics. You will become a much better reader and writer through them, and they are always very interesting. Also, there is nothing more bittersweet than knowing you have to write a 5 page paper before noon the next day, but also knowing that everyone in the dorm will be awake until 4 or 5 in the morning doing it with you.
Short story, I would highly suggest anyone who is at all interested in furthering their own academic abilities, as well as their general knowledge of the world to apply to Blount. It is an opportunity to learn and grow unlike anywhere else with the most intelligent, hilarious, personable people in the university. So if nothing else, just apply and go to the interview session, and I guarantee you if you follow through, you’ll fall in love.</p>

<p>Jcat: Have you noticed any bias in the teaching/discussions? From the reading list, it could cover both sides of the issue, but it could also promote one, and denigrate the other.</p>

<p>The professors are generally really good about maintaining evenness. You will rarely experience much bias, and in fact much of our discussions involve a critique of the text. One really gets a sense of how they put an emphasis on learning how to think as opposed to what to think.</p>

<p>Thanks Jcat - we really appreciate the information.
Anyone else have information or another opinion to share?</p>

<p>My daughter is loving Blount. The community is exactly what she was looking for: a small, liberal arts college experience within a large public university. From what she has told me, the Blount classes (as xxxjcat described there are specific classes taken for the program) are more Socratic in nature than her non-Blount classes and the relationship between professors and students - at least for her - is more close-knit. The students are from a variety of perspectives - socially, politically but it is a community versus a dorm. They really seem to be people who agree that they do not all have to think alike to live together and learn from each other. They also play together - my daughter played on the intermural volleyball team that recently won their first game.
But it isn’t an exclusive community. My daughter is also a member of a sorority and she loves that community as well. A few of her sisters are also in Blount. Blountees are active in lots of other groups on campus.
For the student who is drawn to the all the benefits of a large State U but feels at their core that a small, liberal arts college would better serve them, Blount allows them to have both experiences.</p>

<p>Is Blount something that you need to apply for and be accepted into? If yes, is it based on stats or some other criteria?</p>

<p>Here is a link to Blount (Home) and application. Read through all the pages and you will get a really good feel for the program.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.as.ua.edu/blount/index.html[/url]”>http://www.as.ua.edu/blount/index.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Are there many science/engineering students at Blount?</p>

<p>science:yes
engineering:not so much, maybe 3 or 4 that i know of
there are a whole bunch of biology/psychology majors</p>

<p>I didn’t even think Engineering was permitted to apply. I love this board, learn something new daily.</p>

<p>What about Communications/Journalism students? Are there very many in Blount?</p>

<p>I asked about this yesterday at a reception they had. I was told engineering is not compatible with the Blount initiative. I think you have to be a student of letters and sciences. Atleast thats what I think I was told. Longhaul I think your right. Sigh sounded like a great combination to do with engineering too, but alas it wasn’t meant to be.</p>

<p>I think this sounds like such a good fit for my daughter - but for whatever reason - she doesn’t think she will apply. We’re planning to make our first visit in January when there is an event for Honors Students. The deadline for Blount is Dec. 1 - so she won’t get a feel for it until we go down for a visit. I believe my daughter thinks they are somewhat segregated if they are part of Blount - but it doesn’t sound like that is really the case.<br>
I read some posts about the Honors dorms being moved next year. Between Blount and the Honors dorms - where do most of the Honors kids seem to prefer to live? My daughter is interested in Bio right now (considering pre-med track)</p>

<p>Are there any singles in Blount? After the first year, can honors student move into Ridgecrest?</p>

<p>Can you participate in both Blount and the honors programs?</p>

<p>Many, if not most students in Blount are also in the Honors College.</p>

<p>Students enrolled in Blount have historically been permitted to live in the honors dorms during their second year at UA. Blount generally does not offer single rooms.</p>

<p>To set the record straight, you absolutely can be in Blount as an engineering major. It was only the past couple years that they welcomed engineers but I guarantee everyone it is allowed. The only issue is that engineering majors are very busy as is, and adding Blount is often difficult; however, it is certainly possible for the dedicated student.</p>

<p>The increased workload concerns me a bit given he will be in a challenging major and would like to do undergraduate research. How much more challenging is the course work?</p>

<p>He will be 16 when he starts and I get the impression that Blount may be more nurturing than the honors dorm.</p>

<p>I skimmed the website and it looks like you have to take 6 courses through Blount. I presume that’s 1/semester for 3 years?</p>

<p>The workload is worst freshman year, but it isn’t absolutely overwhelming. It’s very reading and writing intensive, but it’s a lot of fun. For what it’s worth, I know a couple engineers and even a music major (both of which have a notoriously heavy workload) that are doing just fine.
I think you’re right in saying that Blount is more nurturing. Everyone knows pretty much everyone else and we’re always hanging out, talking, eating together, etc. The community atmosphere is one of the main draws of Blount, and it’s perfect for the kid entering college who may be struggling to meet people (myself).
And Blount is a minor, meaning you do need to take several classes over your years. You have two freshman seminars that you’re required to take your freshman year, 3 upper level classes that you can take at any time you want, and a senior thesis/capstone project thing. Like I said, freshman classes are the most difficult in Blount, but by no means unbearable.</p>

<p>If you apply for the Blount Initiative, do you have to accept or can you decline? Just in case my D wants to keep her options open.</p>