University of Alabama Huntsville Engineering

<p>Can anybody tell me about the engineering department at UAH? My son who is very bright received a full ride to UAH. He could go there and most likely finish in 3 years as they’ll take a number of credits he has already earned (22 credits). Or he could go to Georgia Tech or University of Tn Knoxville or Purdue. We’d pay considerably more and they will not take many of his credits at all.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I live about 5 miles away from UAH. UAH has a very good engineering program because it’s located in Cummings Research Park (second largest research park in the nation). </p>

<p>Many internship and co-op opportunities at UAH because of where it’s located. I imagine that most, if not all, engineering students have job offers at graduation. </p>

<p>Which area of engineering is he interested in?</p>

<p>BTW…you should ask them if he can use his 4th year to work on his masters degree on his scholarship. Since Bama does this, perhaps UAH does as well.</p>

<p>mom,
I was hoping you would answer as I’ve seen other posts from you regarding UAH. At this point, he’s not sure which type of engineering - possibly mechanical.<br>
Asking about a master’s degree is good advice.<br>
I guess I’m wondering if the ‘big’ engineering companies look at engineering graduates differently - those from a smaller school like UAH compared to graduates from Georgia Tech.</p>

<p>UAH is well-regarded for engineering. I’ve talked with representatives of some large engineering firms in the past and UAH was mentioned as a place where they recruit and hire engineering students. In fact, when I mentioned that I was going to attend the University of Alabama, they automatically thought that I was going to attend UAH for engineering. </p>

<p>In such high demand fields as many of the engineering disciplines, companies are having a hard time finding enough qualified candidates to fill all their available positions. I remember one of the people I mentioned previously saying that his [large] engineering firm had 50 positions available and that if I would have had an engineering degree at the time, he would have hired me right on the spot. Provided your son continues to have good grades and is willing to relocate, he will get a job after graduating any of the schools you’ve mentioned.</p>

<p>My H is a hiring engineering manager and he has no problems hiring engineers from UAH…and he pays them the same as those he’s hired from GT or elsewhere. Higher salaries for graduating from particular universities only really applies to MIT and Cal Tech grads…and the higher amount is NOT much more…like maybe $5k per year or so. </p>

<p>The nudge a prospective employee gets is not usually based on his school, it’s his overall resume of internships, experiences, etc. And, someone who’s had hands-on research experience at big name high tech companies is going to get the nudge. </p>

<p>BTW…speaking of UAH…say your prayers/keep your fingers crossed that UAH gets selected to become headquarters for the National Solar Observatory. UAH is competing with several other universities. The National Science Foundation plans to bring the solar scientists together in one place. It also wants them to be part of a university, the better to educate the next generation of solar scientists.</p>

<p>NSF plans to build a $300 million advanced technology solar telescope in Maui, Hawaii, and have scientists on the mainland operate it remotely.</p>

<p>This would be a big deal for UAH if they get selected. UAH has put together a consortium for the bid.</p>

<p>*The National Science Foundation plans to bring the solar scientists together in one place. It also wants them to be part of a university, the better to educate the next generation of solar scientists.</p>

<p>NSF plans to build a $300 million advanced technology solar telescope in Maui, Hawaii, and have scientists on the mainland operate it remotely.</p>

<p>It is competing against Montana State University, New Mexico State University, the University of California in Berkeley, the University of Arizona, the University of Colorado in Boulder and the University of Southern California.</p>

<p>Proposals are in and site visits are being made. The choice will come in July.</p>

<p>UAH’s team includes NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, where astronomy research is already conducted; Redstone Arsenal; Alabama A&M University; Sci-Quest Hands-on Science Center; the Chamber of Commerce of Huntsville-Madison County and various high-tech corporate partners.</p>

<p>Key leaders of the UAH proposal are astrophysicist Dr. Gary Zank, who brought a team of 22 space scientists to UAH from the University of California Riverside, and Dr. John Horack, vice president of research at UAH. Horack is the former director of the science mission systems office at Marshall Space Flight Center. </p>

<p>*</p>

<p>~snipped~ <a href=“http://blog.al.com/space-news/2011/03/uah_team_leads_bid_to_bring_na.html[/url]”>UAH team leads bid to bring National Solar Observatory laboratory to Huntsville - al.com;