University of Alabama officially responds to Sorority Controversy

<p>They can continue to argue that these are private organizations and they are allowed to select their own membership, but if it does evolve into a legal battle and prospective members can show that race was the only reason they were rejected, the close ties between the university and the GLOs that demonstrates the relationship between the organizations is going to put them on the losing side.</p>

<p>This is where all campuses are going to have some conflicting issues to be concerned about. Some campuses (including Bama) have “Jewish Houses”. I wouldn’t want a school to say that those Houses must now start accepting students who might just be joining to cause some havoc for those kids. I also don’t think it’s a problem that those Houses exist. I think it’s nice for kids of an often minority ethnic or religous group to have groups where they can come together.</p>

<p>Most minority groups and clubs invite members of their group and supporters.</p>

<p>I suspect groups like the Alabama Atheists and Agnositcs do not tell religious people they are unwelcome, they invite the debate. Groups for GLBT students (or adults) generally also invite supporters of their cause with open arms. I work with many engineers. Even in this professional setting the women in engineers groups welcomes male members that support women engineers and their cause.</p>

<p>The one legal issue that has arisen lately is that in religious organizations, non-affiliated members have not only sought membership, but also leadership. Having an atheist become the president of the Christian Service Club is generally not what the group hopes for. I believe that a year or two ago there was a lawsuit that determined that religious groups could discriminate in their leadership, but I don’t believe they can discriminate in membership, if they are affiliated with a public institution even the Christian Service Club does need to accept Atheist members, they can just choose not to make leadership positions available to them. I’ll have to look that up.</p>

<p>It has been my experience that Universities do not typically give $$$ directly to student organizations including Fraternal organizations. I was an executive board member on my Fraternity and we received Zilch. That being said, the University does allow many student organizations use of University resources such as office space, sports fields, class rooms, etc. And while the Fraternal organizations are most visible, really most student organizations share similar privileges. The discounted land leases are the most obvious “extra bonus” that the Fraternal organizations receive, and let’s be clear, It’s NOT THE STUDENTS that are negotiating and managing those leases and the $$$ associated with them. Those deals are struck between “adults” representing each organization … the University, Alumnus Boards & Trusts, and National Chapters.</p>

<p>These young ladies need to be commended for WANTING to change! What a WONDERFUL change it will be for the University to FINALLY rid itself of much of the stigma that has dogged the Greek system for so many years.</p>

<p>The University does have the power to act. It appears that they’ve cancelled Swaps temporarily, unless that was IFC / Pan-Council doing. And one need only remember last years issues of Rush being shut down entirely system wide due to the drinking and alleged push-ups on glass incidents, etc. </p>

<p>I am encouraged by the increasingly stronger & supportive statements coming from Trustees, Pres. Bonner, etc.</p>

<p>And I DO really like an idea put forward on one of these threads, that regardless of what the Alums have “done” to these poor girls … actives & PNMs … that if they bonded together via petition or other public action to make an immediate change despite what has already taken place, it would be seen as a POWERFUL message for change. Bid these girls anyway … admit them … embrace them, and show your alum organizations how 2013 Actives and beyond control the new vision.</p>

<p>CW reports that pledgeship has been suspended until Monday while the administration looks into things.</p>

<p>Note: this is fraternity pledgeship. Not sure what has been done about the sorority process.</p>

<p>Sounds like the University doesn’t want to have a blow up about fraternity hazing while attention is focused on the sorority issue. Suspending sorority pledgeship is sort of a non-sequitur since sorority pledgeship is a completely different kind of experience than fraternity pledgeship. (I can just see it now, “under no circumstances may active sorority members give cute little gifts to the new members until the University clarifies the rules and goals of pledgeship; study hall is hereby cancelled effective immediately; attendance at philanthropy events is forbidden.”)</p>

<p>Also may want to communicate some expectations of inclusion in fraternity pledge classes while it may still affect final composition. Avoid another news story. Or are the fraternity pledge classes also already set?</p>