University of Alabama ranking drops to No. 153 in 2020 U.S. News college rankings - what now?

UA Undergrad Engineering is actually ranked #96 in the 2022 ranking.

It is #96 in the 2022 ranking.

I was not clairvoyant enough to post the 2022 rankings before they were released. The ranking was current when we posted it.

(I suggest not traversing all of CC pointing out that past posts concerning rankings are now “actually” something else.)

2 Likes

Perhaps they’re afraid that Florida will threaten their #1 ranking in per capita deaths. Though they have a wide lead.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/us-coronavirus-deaths-by-state-july-1.html
(Weird placeholder for this link).

1 Like

Hmmm, I did not realize your post was dated. I honestly did not. I suggest you not be so touchy thinking that someone is being mean to you. I was just sharing the latest info.

2 Likes

This site sure has taken a nasty turn. People commenting on entire states, judging them.

It says 7 h next to your name, I assumed that meant you posted this comment 7 hours ago. The 2022 ranking came out around Sept 13. I honestly was not trying to be a prick. Try not to assume.

@Atlanta68 The post above about the ranking being #102 was posted on 9/8/21, 16 days ago.

1 Like

Now, we’re not allowed to comment on states? :smirk:

The state has the highest death rate (lowest or one of the lowest vaccination rates) from Covid and a crisis in their hospitals. So if I had a child interested in ANY college in Alabama, then I’d choose another state where I wouldn’t have to worry as much.

1 Like

It makes me wonder how much state politics really play a role in college admissions and college experience and outcomes. I’m from CA and our crazy political climate has not emptied out the UC’s or CSU’s.

Bama enrolled their largest freshman class ever in 2021 with over 38k students overall. They have basically doubled in size over the past 15 years and run a solid business/school. Majority of students are out of state lured by generous scholarships and a great college experience. Full disclosure - my daughter recently graduated and loved her experience. Bama is a big college brand and a model for other schools looking to grow and deliver a fulfilling college experience.

2 Likes

Ok, Alabama has its issues. So does every other state. Where are the threads about Florida and its political issues? Texas? Tennessee? Why are the universities in these states not being impacted in rankings? Why is it always Alabama, it seems, that gets kicked around on boards like this? I haven’t figured that one out. Understand, I am not picking on you. Nor do I have any ties to Alabama. But it seems any thread on the school recently becomes political. Why? Why do other states get a pass?

Posts about specific states, their COVID approach, and other politics, are all over Cafe and other generic forums. When actions impact specific universities, I think it’s appropriate to discuss them in that school’s forum.

Do you believe the news that the University of Alabama is choosing not to follow medical advice when fighting a global pandemic should not be discussed in the U of A forum because it’s “political”?

Fwiw, a quick search will uncover that I’ve receommend Alabama to many prospective students for the OOS financial benefits mentioned above. I have no problem pointing out the good and bad.

2 Likes

Being a state university, it has to follow state policy. What about the other universities that are doing the same? I don’t see much talk about them.

This is a thread about U of Alabama, but there are plenty of kids (and parents) who want nothing to do with colleges in the other states you mentioned because of the political climate of those states. This has been exacerbated by how some states have dealt with (or not dealt with) the Covid crisis.

For the record, to preserve housing status, my son accepted an offer from Alabama (he has accepted at Iowa State, too). In the portal he was required to certify that he has both COVID vaccinations.

Bama offered $40 to kids to show they were vaccinated.

How do you compare a Bama vs. Iowa State vs. Nebraska vs. UNH vs. Oregon vs. Penn State vs. URI vs. Colorado State vs. Va Tech vs. Wisconsin Whitewater.

You don’t.

Maybe the UCs are up there and UNC and UVA and some will want to pretend Florida.

But does it matter if Indiana is 68 and Bama 153.

Not in the least.

Maybe on a specific major
but as an overall.

When you’re at a cocktail party and talking about colleges, none will resonate more than another
well perhaps Bama because of football.

900+ NM Scholars are at Bama. yes, I know the reason but the fact is they are there.

These ranks are fun - but silly.

You missed the parent forum for the Class of 2025. The handling of the pandemic was obviously an important factor for many parents this year. Some more than others.

I was not allowed to respond to you because my account was temporarily frozen. Let me point out some things to you. 1) The largest demographic in the nation that is unvaccinated is African American. Alabama has one of the largest percentages of Black Americans of any state. These are not exactly the MAGA folks with whom you have already shown your disinterest in engaging. 2) One of the most vaxxed nations on the planet, Israel, is in the middle of a huge rise in COVID cases and deaths. 3) Alabama has one of the highest percentages of obese people in the nation. THAT, more than any other factor, explains the problems with COVID here. 4) Even vaxxed people can spread COVID. These are facts.

1 Like

There is not a monolith of medical advice. But one side has viciously suppressed the other’s right to be heard. I notice that the officials in charge of what is allowed to be said about COVID say very very little about obesity, Vitamin D, natural immunity post COVID infection, the epidemic of cases in heavily vaxxed Israel. Etc. *

1 Like

Obesity in the state matters far more. Israel has followed the experts and it has been suffering more than most nations.