University of Alabama ranking drops to No. 153 in 2020 U.S. News college rankings - what now?

It is called anti Southern bigotry, and TPTB don’t mind it.

I actually typed out a point-by-point factual response, then erased it, since I don’t want my account to be “frozen.” But some of your facts are incorrect. 'Nuff said.

On the topic of obesity, join us on the Diet & Fitness thread, but I’ve certainly addressed the topic elsewhere on this forum numerous times, including this most recent post on an “Carbon Neutral” thread.

Finally, as I said elsewhere on this site, if I’m a parent of a Class of 2026 or beyond, I’d stay far away from any school in Alabama OR TO ANY STATE where there’s a severe Covid crisis (e.g., no or low hospital beds available), until Covid is under control or gone.

Bottom line: Wear a mask, get vaccinated, socially distance, wash your hands, sanitize surfaces, etc. Works for my family. If your state doesn’t favor those measures, then it’s out of my college list. Thankfully, D21 is my last and she’s now a freshman at a school here in CA, where masks and Covid vaccination (including MenB and several other immunizations) are required.

3 Likes

Nationwide, white Americans make up about 60% of those who are unvaccinated, by far the largest demographic of unvaccinated Americans. (Thus far, a higher percentage of white Americans have been vaccinated as compared to Black Americans and Hispanic Americans, but that gap is narrowing.)

White Americans make up about 69% of the population of Alabama and Black Americans make up about 27%. The two demographics have an identical vaccination rate, a dismal 42%. So there are about 2.5 times more white Alabamans who are unvaccinated than Black Alabamans.

Israel has a little less than twice the population of Alabama. About 18 people are dying per day of Covid in Israel, but 116 people are dying of Covid per day in Alabama. The death rate per 100,000 people is currently about 11 times higher in Alabama than Israel.

6 Likes

This is a thread about UA, not the state of Alabama’s response to COVID. Not a comparison of the state of Alabama versus any other state on that topic. Not about American obesity. Not about the policies of Israel. Move the conversation forward please.

2 Likes

So many people here, and elsewhere, really like to put Bama down. Why exactly, other then personal bias/prejudice, I don’t know.

My DS graduated with an EE degree in 2019. He had a spectacular experience. Met friends from all over the country. Recently went to a wedding of friends he met there, and their friend group from Bama all went to the wedding and stayed a few days to spend time together.

DS works for the DoD, from his group: Lockheed Martin, Boeing, P&G, and GE being the bigger names. Most were OOS, high stat kids who loved their time at Bama.

Looking at the data for positive cases, UA’s numbers are on the downturn. That stuff is a moving target, but I know on the parent pages, there isn’t a lot of concern being expressed. Most kids seem to be vaccinated.

This is from UA’s website:

The UA campus requirement for face coverings extends through Oct. 1. Face coverings are now required inside all non-residential campus buildings, including all classrooms and academic buildings, and on campus transportation. The rule applies to everyone, regardless of vaccination status.

• Everyone on campus is strongly encouraged to get vaccinated to [Protect Our Herd] UA will continue to offer the vaccines at no cost through the [Student Health Center]
  • Students, faculty and staff should report vaccines received off campus. Participating students will receive a thank-you Bama Cash reward.
  • Proper handwashing and hygiene practices are expected.
  • Individuals are responsible for cleaning/sanitizing personal workspaces.

What’s Offered

• Voluntary testing remains readily available at SHC and UMC.
  • Touchless hand sanitizer stations are provided throughout campus.
  • Vaccines continue to be available at no cost through the Student Health Center ]
  • Students who provide proof of their COVID vaccinationwill receive a $40 Bama Cash reward.
3 Likes

Here’s other exciting news - Alabama adding a manufacturing engineering major in concert with Mercedes-Benz. Lots of auto manufacturing activity in the south - makes it a great school for kids wanting to get into the auto industry.

University of Alabama engineering school opens manufacturing program (tuscaloosanews.com)

2 Likes