University of Alabama Ranks Second among Publics for National Merit Scholar enrollment

https://www.ua.edu/news/2019/04/ua-ranks-second-among-publics-for-national-merit-scholar-enrollment/

Roll Tide!

Just to be clear, I believe this is national merit scholars, not finalist. At Alabama all finalists are scholarship winners. At many others only about half are scholars.

If it is exactly half, then UC Berkeley (124 scholars) and Georgia Tech (105 scholars) would pass Alabama in terms of number of finalists, and Alabama would be 4th among publics, followed by Texas (90*2 = 180) and Michigan (80 * 2 = 160). I suspect it may be even less than half, but by any measure, Alabama is getting a lot of kids with high stats.

I should add almost all of these national merit scholars are out of state as well, bringing lots of talent into the state.

almost all? The state of Alabama has a good number of really smart kids and UA gets the plurality of them. See the threads about one of the top 20 Engineering students in the world, and the 3 Goldwater Scholars.

I think VryCnfsd has misunderstood what Eeyore123 said. “At Alabama all finalists are scholarship winners” not half of them.