University of Chicago Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

This year, the Early Action (EA) / Early Decision (ED) deadline for the University of Chicago is November 1.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

1 Like

Daughters Unweighted GPA 3.9, SAT 1420, EC’s: NHS Secretary, volunteer hours ~100. Intended major: business/finance/marketing. What are her chances?

1 Like

The closest thing that UChicago has to this is The Business Economics track in Economics. It seems like an odd choice to ED at UChicago for that interest.

1 Like

If she decides to apply to UChicago in any round … ED, EA, or RD … I would definitely go test optional. That SAT score will hurt her chances. And I agree, although UC has a fantastic graduate business school, they do not have any undergraduate business major options - the closest thing would be economics with their new business economics track.

I recall looking at UChicago Booth admissions stats about 6 months ago and they accepted more undergrads from Northwestern than they did from their own College. (I don’t have access to wherever I saw this, and I don’t know what year’s admissions data this referred to - I’m guessing it was 2020 or 2021 but I’m not sure).

Have you considered other high end universities (I’m assuming you and/or your daughter would prefer if she ended up at a highly prestigious university since you are looking at UChicago) that actually offer the majors your daughter is interested in? Maybe Cornell, Rice, WashU, Northwestern, USC, Notre Dame, Georgetown?

2 Likes

Interesting about Booth. Do you recall if that’s on a rate basis, or an absolute basis? It could just be that a lot more NWU students apply (and honestly after 4 years at UC or any school really I’d understand wanting to go to grad school elsewhere).

5 Likes

Good question … I wish I could remember the details. I just glanced at it in passing - I wasn’t actively researching or evaluating business school admissions.

I believe I saw it on poetsandquants.com but I am not certain.

1 Like

3.95 UW 4.45 W ACT 35 34 35 33 (34.25 composite)

Asian

EC’s (No speciifc order):
Digital business, 40k in revenue a year
Chess, (2043 rating online, USCF Norms, awards, tournament wins and also will be working with a grandmaster coach soon)
Familial Responsibilities
Chess Club Vice President
Paid Work
Orchestra (Awards etc)
Food Bank Volunteer
Financial Education Initiative backed by Wealth Management Firm
Track and Field (Tore my meniscus though, not much of an EC)
Honors Societies

Not really much in the way of awards, most of what I have is chess based and honor roll and basic stuff, I gave it all in the essays, nothing to do but wait. I’ve already submitted for ED1

Intended Major: Economics/Business Economics/Psychology

Hey All!
Has anyone recieved an email today stating that all materials were received?

1 Like

I have but not expecting any kind of acceptance (applied EA). There was a redditor that said that s/he got an email from uchicago congratulating them on their acommplishments. I didn’t get anything like that

Yes. I checked my portal before I saw it and saw all the Green checks.

2 Likes

oh really??? yikes, the letter I saw was basic.

1 Like

I am trying to find it on reddit- any clues you can give?

Don’t worry about it. Doesn’t mean much.
Last year when my daughter applied EA we got an actual physical letter in the mail congratulating her for her accomplishments and thanking us (parents) for our support.
She still got deferred. :grinning:

I think it’s just a way for them to keep applicants engaged and maybe push some to do ED2.

1 Like

ah that makes sense. Thank you.

1 Like

Did she do ED2?

No, it wasn’t her top choice (I guess UChicago correctly figured that out).

1 Like

Does the email stating application complete mean it’s ready for review or review completed?

The former.

Thanks. I thought so but then without looking at application how are they sending emails about accomplishments.

2 Likes

Based on the initial reading. Still has to go through committee and “shaping”.

1 Like