University of Florida Class of 2027 Official Thread

GT has a 10 percent OOS admit rate so a denial from GT is common. I expect UVA is close to that.

2 Likes

Yes, UVA was 12% OOS this year.

2 Likes

This process is rough. It feels like it dosent make sence but one can see how they just canā€™t take all the amazing applicants.Thereā€™s too many. Itā€™s just so hard when itā€™s your kid who didā€™nt get the nod or maybe even the $. Kids these days are super stars. They work so hard. Iā€™m wishing you all the best of luck and are hopeful they/we have good /great options. Itā€™s not like when I chose my college from a pamphlet I got in the guidance office.

2 Likes

I hate to be the one to say it. I believe a large driver of the problem is kids applying to too many schools. We were lucky to be able to apply to 2 or 3 back in the day. I only applied to 1 and thatā€™s where I went. These days I hear of kids applying to 20 and even 30 different schools. Thatā€™s 10 times the number of applications for the same number of qualified students. I only allowed my child to apply to 5 schools. If this became the norm there wouldnā€™t be as many people applying to all of these schools. You pick 2 dream schools in each category and move onā€¦2 reach, 2 mid, and 2 definite (we only did 1 definite). Make sure youā€™re happy with your 5 choices and youā€™re good. Itā€™s almost like itā€™s a competition to see how many schools your child can apply to and get into.

10 Likes

Yes!!! I couldnā€™t agree more. Which I would
assume makes it extremely difficult for schools to predict yield. So frustrating because my son has friends that applied to 15+ schools and have no real intention of attending most of them.

5 Likes

Same here. I told my daughter to pick safety schools she would be more than happy to attend. We took time to visit schools. I know too many kids apply to too many schools and have no intention of going there.

1 Like

Did those who lost access to their portal yesterday regain access yet?

yes

1 Like

Most of my sonā€™s friends either could afford to applied to 15-20 colleges or had wavers and applies to 20 or more. He was paying for his own application and decided on 7 or 8 colleges due to the unpredictability of admissions especially during COVID. It seems counterintuitive for colleges to accept so many students who are using their college as a safety school with no intention of accepting. Guidance counselors and the common app should limit students to no more than 6 to 8 colleges (tops 3 reach, 3 mid and 2 hopefully definite).

2 Likes

I am in total agreement with you that the biggest issue is too many applications per student. Those extra applications generate more money for the school, so I imagine most schools donā€™t really have a problem will the extra applications. They can hire a few extra temporary employees and utilize deferrals and waitlists. Their institution also appears more selective as their admit rate lowers.

5 Likes

how are you guys dealing with the anxiety leading up to friday? ive been totally shut down lately, unable to do anything but pace and check my application status

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been literally checking over and over to see if the admission letters mightā€™ve been released earlier than expected as if that would even happen :sob: Iā€™m literally at the point where Iā€™m convinced I will be accepted and itā€™s just a matter of waiting to have that confirmed by their letter.

2 Likes

Sorry the earliest they will be released is 5:15 pm on Friday.

Exercise, Calming Apps, Distractions, Extra Credit, whatever gets you to Friday evening.

7 Likes

also manifesting you get in! and donā€™t worry too much about UMiami, they deferred A LOT of people

6 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

im the opposite, i convinced myself im doomed lol, at least youre confident

2 Likes

Agree, GT and UVA are really tough for OOS and international students.

1 Like

Dear officer, would you please kindly clarify if you consider recommendation letters during the application evaluation? I noticed in the CA system that RL was downloaded with the school report and transcripts.

2 Likes

bet he wonā€™t attend at least 14 of them :rofl:

1 Like

No, we do not use letters of recommendation when making our admissions decision. We only use official final transcripts sent through the Common App (for finalizing purposes or student applying as transfer). We do not match anything else to an application.

6 Likes