University of Florida Class of 2027 Official Thread

Decisions for the priority deadline are expected to release on February 24th, 2023. A place for discussions, questions, and decisions! : )

3 Likes

just curious- do people think UF deserves it’s high ranking? and how happy are kids that go there? is Gainesville ok? if you haven’t seen it go to YouTube and search for the Simpsons go to Gainesville episode. it’s hilarious.

2 Likes

Not seeing posts from FL folks compared to other states.

My son is in his third year at UF and is a double major in math and statistics. The coursework is rigorous and the size of the school forces the student to become self-sufficient. I like this fact because it prepares you well for the real world. Does it deserve a top 5 ranking? According to those who measure the data, it does. Personally, I look mostly at the overall college experience and student outcomes. Student outcomes at UF are stellar so I feel very good about his future prospects. Those solid outcomes result from a demanding curriculum and solid professors.

First year was tough mostly because of Covid, but also because there is no one there to hold your hand or guide you through the many mazes of bureaucracy that students must learn to master. Most classes are large with limited access to the professors so there is little opportunity to build relationships with them and forgiveness and second chances rarely exist. The last two years for my student have been fantastic. The energy and camaraderie surrounding the many sporting events is pretty awesome. With all the clubs and other organizations offered, finding your tribe isn’t hard. However, you have to put yourself out there. If you have a student that struggles with this, then I would suggest you consider summer semester. It’s just 6 weeks long but you are able to make friends in a very relaxed and friendly environment while learning your way around the very large campus before the masses arrive.

Bottom line, my son loves the school and his classes, but it was a rough go at first. One word about Gainesville…the old college town feel is gone to a large degree because all of the areas along University that used to provide places for students to meet and greet have been converted to high end student apartments. This is a sad commentary about the quality of the dorms at UF. The city is also very tolerant of the homeless, panhandlers and serial harassers. As a result, the city, especially around campus, has become more dangerous over the years. On campus remains safe, but the areas immediately outside of the campus can become dicey depending on where you are.

5 Likes

Is UF offering priority admissions? The decision date has always been in late February for those meeting the November 1 deadline. Although, I heard they extended it this year to to Ian.

My biological brother went to a very small “meh” college in the Northeast (2k undergrads) with a 95% acceptance rate. The school didn’t even rank on US News regional schools. He got a decent education and had a great social experience. He graduated in 2021 in 4 years.

My step-brother crossed the country and went to a large Top 20 UC with a 30% acceptance rate. He got great grades, had to negotiate the bureaucracy and had an off-the-charts social experience. He also graduated in 2021 in 4 years.

My brother at the small crappy school had a great relationship with his advisor and she got him in the door with great recommendations to her contacts and got him interview after interview - he landed a great job at a Big 4 right after graduation.

My step-brother at the UC had the bragging rights with his diploma, but was on his own after graduation and is still struggling almost two years later to land himself a good, consistent job that can lead to a real career.

Both my brothers are go-getters. My biological brother was an accounting major and my step-brother was a marketing major.

It’s a long-shot for me, but I’m really hoping I get into UF. I know I’ll make the best of the education offered and will come out with a ton of knowledge and life skills. My concern is illustrated by my anecdotal example above - will that lead to a better career outcome? Does the reputation of the school really matter or is it true that the intangibles (ie not what but who you know) are what’s most important?

2 Likes

Just saying hi to all others who are waiting…

9 Likes

Hello! It’s been a long wait…
DD got in FSU and waiting for this next. None of the OOS ED EA have worked out for us so far

4 Likes

Feeling impatient :slight_smile: now that we have all decisions other than UF and FSU I just want to be done!
Daughter applying OOS (premed)Biology or health sciences (she does it all on her own so I can’t keep it straight with the majors offered at each school. )

4 Likes

My gator is graduating in December and is just beginning the job hunt challenge. UF provides exceptional career guidance that will help you with your resume, cover letter and interview preparation. They will also guide you to a large variety of companies that align with your major and interests. UF attracts an impressive list of companies that recruit from the campus.

My gator has been impressed with the support and with the quality of companies he’s interviewing with. The school also encourages you to participate in summer internships and, again, provides excellent guidance on who, when and how to approach these opportunities.

Like it is everywhere, however, the contacts you make will provide more opportunity to you than anything the school might do. That’s why it is essential to put yourself out there so you get involved with people who share your interests either in clubs or or other activities. With 35,000 undergrads, finding those people isn’t difficult.

Good luck to you. The admissions people will release their decisions before the time they publish so be sure to check in a couple hours ahead and then keep checking.

10 Likes

Thanks a bunch! Very helpful.

We also applied for the honors program but there is no direction if mid year grades or additional achievements since Nov should be submitted.

1 Like

No, the decision for honors comes out with the admission decision so senior year grades or additional materials are not considered.

4 Likes

In the application portal the transcript still says “under review.” Is that a bad sign?

1 Like

For freshman, no, not at all. Since we use the SSAR we don’t really start reviewing transcripts until later which is why we do not ask for them.

4 Likes

Thanks. Getting nervous…

1 Like

Interesting… so the decision is solely based on junior grade transcripts? Is there a cutoff date when the review starts?

1 Like

Well all high school classes with grades through the junior year. Senior year schedule matters a great deal and then when we are actually finalizing after graduation we have a committee to go through all the transcripts of students who did not generally maintain their grades or their SSAR doesn’t match the transcript and decide if the student’s admission should be rescinded.

6 Likes

Hello, I have a question, I was considered an international student when I first applied to UF but I have recently got my permanent residency card which now makes me a domestic US student. How do I send a copy of my green card so they can change my status to a domestic student?

Just updated mid-year grades on SSAR :thinking:

1 Like