University of Florida President Cooks Rankings

<p>Machen's ranks UF as high as Harvard and Princeton (Peer Assessments for US News) while outrageously downgrading the rest of the Florida Schools. I guess this shows how one needs to take the US News rankings......</p>

<p>Machen's</a> rankings ploy is just rank - St. Petersburg Times</p>

<p>Malicious intent was not Bernie Machen’s objective (unlike Clemson University). The Florida institions that he rated marginal were spot on (Nova, FAU, FIT, FAMU etc…). All of them have lousy graduate programs, tiny endowments, less than stellar undergraduates, and lousy research expenditures. Machen also rated UM and FSU as good (so a 3 overall).</p>

<p>Bernie Machen could of shafted Penn State, Syracuse, George Washington, University of Maryland, UIUC, and the University of Miami so that UF could do better on the rankings. He did nothing of the sort and they received a fair assessment in my opinion.</p>

<p>Bick,</p>

<p>It is not a fair assessment, but hey, anyone who reads at the main thread on Machen cooking the books can see that. I didn’t know you had a telepathic connection with Bernie Mac and know what his “intent” was…is this power just with him or could you use it to solve other crimes? Last I heard, his statement was “No Comment” When Dear Leader puts out a press release I am 100% sure you will post it.</p>

<p>Bick,</p>

<p>Does your telepathic connection also allow you to know that everyone at Nova, FAU, FIT, FAMU are “less than stellar undergraduates” as you say above. I think the prospective students of CC are smart enough to see the UF arrogance coming through…maybe you and Bernie Mac will both have to eat crow.</p>

<p>UF should of been ranked strong. President Machen however was right about UM (which received a ranking of good and is about tied with FSU). Most posters agree his national rankings were pretty much congruent with peer assessment scores from the past.</p>

<p>The University of Florida is one of the largest research universities in the nation, contributes nearly $6 billion annually to Florida’s economy, and is responsible for nearly 75,000 jobs. UF also generates almost $600 million a year in research expenditures, and has over 100 graduate & professional programs ranked.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.ir.ufl.edu/nat_rankings/grad.htm[/url]”>http://www.ir.ufl.edu/nat_rankings/grad.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>School / Machen score / Actual PA score last year</p>

<p>U of Miami / 3 / 3.2
Florida State / 3 / 3.0</p>

<p>Central Florida / 2 / 2.4
South Florida / 2 / 2.5
West Florida / 2 / 1.9</p>

<p>Florida A & M / 1 / 2.0
Florida Atlantic / 1 / 2.1
Florida International / 1 / 2.1
Nova Southeastern / 1 / 1.7
FIT / 1 / 2.1
Barry / 1 / 2.0</p>

<p>Any school that displays such an arrogance and values image over substance isn’t worth any intelligent student’s time.</p>

<p>Look the University of Miami is a damn fine school, and has a great future ahead.</p>

<p>Bick,</p>

<p>But in the “Bernie Mac’s hand in the cookie jar” thread you posted this about UM in comparing to UF </p>

<p>“…but the University of Miami has half the research expenditures, weaker graduate & professional programs, and a less distinguished faculty.”</p>

<p>The truth is UM and FSU should be about tied for peer assessment score."</p>

<p>Which is it Bick? While your at it, using your Bernie Mac cortex link, explain the following from Bernie’s scores:</p>

<p>Florida A & M / 1 / 2.0
Florida Atlantic / 1 / 2.1
Florida International / 1 / 2.1
Nova Southeastern / 1 / 1.7
FIT / 1 / 2.1
Barry / 1 / 2.0</p>

<p>Gee, below the USNWR average. Four of these schools have significant to majority African-American and Latino student populations. I really don’t want to ask what Bernie Machen is saying here, but have to. You said these schools “have less than stellar undergraduates” What does this all exactly mean, Bick?</p>