University of Illinois Urbana Champaign Class of 2027 Official Thread

It is really frustrating to me when I see high stat in state students get deferred, or see big scholarships go to OOS students.

I think OOS should pay higher tuition than they do now to make it affordable to tax paying families, especially since all of our taxes are incredibly high.

1 Like

UC is much worse in that regard. Acceptance to Berkeley, UCLA CS is highly competitive for the Bay Area high school students. UC is famous for accepting OOS/International students for higher tuition, despite of what the politicians are telling us. As a result, a lot of my HS friends are attending the top Big 10 schools because 1. they have excellent CS program. 2. they are achievable if you work hard for it.

1 Like

I agree. We pay very high property taxes, which largely fund our schools, compared to most states. My California relatives are shocked to hear what we pay comparably. It’s very frustrating that our state’s top Engineering and CS students are getting deferred.

1 Like

What time do the decisions come out today in PST time?

If our OOS son decides to go, the cost of attendance is $62k per year. You’re suggesting it should be higher than that?

2 Likes

I just checked on the CommonApp and UIUC hasn’t even downloaded my school report nor counselor recommendation. Is this the same for anyone else?

2 Likes

UIUC doesn’t accept letters of rec. Perhaps they accessed your school report in another way, or have it on file.

Yes.

In state residents pay $40K - way higher than most other states. OOS should pay more than $60k. Our taxes pay to fund the school. Knock 10k off of instate, and have international and OOS pay more.

1 Like

Accepted!! Got in Bioengineering.

5 Likes

Waitlisted for CS in Grainger. 1550+ SAT, 3.9+ GPA, 15+ APs, a few olympiads/humanities/research ECs. Took my spot on the waitlist since it seems like just a check box, but not planning to write anything extra (got into UT already).

1 Like

Son waitlisted for Mechanical Engineering. Similar stats. Accepted everywhere else and will be declining waitlist. Headed to Georgia Tech and is very excited :honeybee::honeybee::honeybee:. So glad decisions are over for him!

Congrats to all who got in to Illinois for engineering/CS - it is a tough admit!!!

5 Likes

How likely is getting a waitlist spot for CS+Econ? Checking CDS the overall waitlist offer rate last year was 38% which is pretty high, but I’m unsure how that translates to CS+X with the vastly different yield and admit rate

Same for us.

Deferred in EA, Waitlisted in RD for CS; 1490 SAT

In-state?

Out-of-state

In-state “tuition” is actually 50% cheaper than OOS. $17,252-$22,836 in-state vs. $36,068-$40,474 OOS, depending on major (www.admissions.illinois.edu/invest/tuition). Not sure these in-state tuition fees are way higher than most other states.

It’s the the food/housing, supplies and other expenses in cost of attendance that are the exact same for in-state and OOS that make it appear that OOS is not paying proportionality more. No in-state discount being given here. Supplies, other expenses are also more in control individually as well.

2 Likes

Twin 1: CE - Denied (it was his #1) :frowning:
TWIN 2: Lyric Theater - Accepted

I was hoping Twin 2 would help Twin 1, but no.

They are quite a bit higher than Georgia Tech OOS (31k) and on par with Cal (43k) but certainly cheaper than Michigan (55K) and UVA (60k for engineering).

Georgia Tech is an absolute bargain OOS for engineering though (and even a bigger bargain in state with most students starting out with free tuition thanks to the lottery)

1 Like

Accepted! International, Physics.

3 Likes